1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Pittsburgh Arthur Smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 30, 2024.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He predicted earlier this week it would be Smith so he’ll be gloating.

Another reason this makes sense from the Steelers perspective is that they won’t have to worry about another head coaching opportunity for Smith coming along anytime soon. With Kubiak, one good year and he’d have been gone to a head coaching job somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    The plus side with this hire is that he has HC experiences and previous experience and success as an O Coordinator. He knows Xs and Os and has experience calling plays and making in game and midgame adjustments. Success isnt guaranteed getting an assistant from one of these innovative offenses to become a new offensive coordinator, with no experience with the Xs and Os aspect and learning how to call plays and set up for plays called later. Additionally, his run game planning bodes well for the division we are in and the type of weather we see, considering we have 2 very capable RBs. Ball control and smash mouth defense. If he can scheme Pickens and Johnson open with the play action passing game we will have a potent offense that will wear down the defense, can go over the top, and keep our defense fresh.
    My main concern is that as an offensive minded head coach you think he would have gotten more out of his 1st round star draft picks and that wasn't the case.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    either was Norv Turner, but as an OC, different story, same with Josh whatever from NE.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Kenny needs to rehab Kenny's career - many have their doubts, OBV

5. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Fire it up now to beat the crowd! :cool:

6. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I'll hold off judgement, and keep optimistic until I see otherwise. That said, I would love to know what was the reasoning to pick a guy who was just fired as a HC and lead a pretty bad offensive team in Atlanta

7. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Awesome. I'm glad! And been wanting this since mid season.

1. He was the best option.
    2. with him not making out as HC, he will look for staying as OC for a long time.
    3. He was really good in Tennessee. Tannehill was great.
    4. Probably the most respected coaches available
    5. Falcons offense was good, minus that rider interceptions and fumbled.
    6. Made Algier a beast.
    7. Made Patterson a beast.
    - downfall was getting Robinson and trying to make him work with Paterson and Algier.
    8. Pitts was pro bowl year one. Then had multiple injuries second year including mcl.
    9. This brings back Steelers OL coach.
    10. He gave more targets and receptions to London. (Pickens still did better on less. So imagine him with more targets).

So if you're going to find negatives. Tell me what OC out there was better.

• Like Like x 5
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I agree with this. I like that they have gone with someone who has shown that they can run a good NFL offence. That Titans offence was very good when he was there. He should be a safe hire and I’ll be surprised if the offence isn’t significantly better coached and designed in 2024.

QB is the huge question of course

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The thing is, a lot of people really like Mike Vrable as a coach. Vrabel thought so highly of Smith that he kept him on after taking over the Titans, then after one year, promoted him from TE's coach to OC. He had enough success working for a defensive minded coach to get his own HC job. Regardless of how good of a HC he was or wasn't, there is no arguing he was a successful position coach and OC.

I also like the fact that he was a TE coach, gives him insights into blocking AND receiving and using the TE. He was a heavy use of PA and the middle of the field as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Ok. I’m pretty much indifferent because if we don’t have a competent qb who execute the basics it doesn’t really matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    We no nothing about number 9 (OL coach). This was a rumor started by Poni on The Fan and has yet to be proven in any way.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I hope so but Muth needs to massively improve his blocking. In many games he was abused and just flat out whiffed on blocks. Hard to remember us having a TE that sucked at blocking.

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    We'll I he's respected enough to bring some stability and direction into that room.
    He does like to run zone though, and apparently the numbers show that Pittsburgh's line doesn't do that well. Hopefully he brings in some assistants to help with installing his offense.

14. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    A big double thumbs up on this, it was so comically bad which just made no sense.

15. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    At this point, I don't really have strong feelings one way or another about this hiring but I will say this, I am not surprised in the least that this is the type of offensive coordinator the Steelers would look for. Especially if he has a run first philosophy. I understand the clamoring for some "young, innovative, up and coming coach" but does anybody really think the roster in its current state is ready for that? What exactly is innovative anyway? Are we talking about having an offense that looks like the 49ers or the Chiefs with all of these exotic formations? Again, I'm not sure the Steelers have the roster to do that, especially at quarterback. Right now, they are a few pieces on the offensive line away from being a fairly good rushing team. My assumption is that they feel they have to start there and build off of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Does bigk take a step or is it 12 more games of crap?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Again, nothing but a rumor that some talking head on The Fan started.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Muth is his own reason for not being featured more. When he's on the field they know he's running a route because he's too poor of a blocker to be in on rush plays. I'm hoping Smith can help develop Washington into a true blocking and receiving TE. Muth is a nice guy but if he can't block they should consider moving on from him.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Most of the rumor is Pittsburgh talking head related but Munchak opened the door back in December

“He'd also consider a handful of other select openings around the league based on head coaches and geography.”

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Ok. So why are we assuming just because Smith gets hired that means Munchak is coming? His family still lives in Denver, maybe he wants to stay west coast.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Boy, not what I was hoping for. I didnt see too many Falcon games
    But what I saw did not like. Oh well will see. Crossing my fingers.

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Someone made a post this morning with a link to an article connecting smith and munchak

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    He was the head coach. Why not go look at his work as an OC with the titans

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My thoughts exactly!

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team