1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Pittsburgh Arthur Smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 30, 2024.

1. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Probably right after he makes his first statement, decision or hire.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Some of our players are simple

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    "The intelligence on the planet is a constant....and the population is increasing. Nuff said!" Albert Einstein (I mean Al Bundy). :rolleyes:

4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Compared to Canada it's an upgrade. But Im not loving this hire. We have no plans to run out an offense that can score... we want a ball control offense.

My concern is our love affair with being a rushing offense. In today's NFL passing is king. Passing opens up the run.... of course you need to be able to capitalize on that but I think if you look at the teams winning in the post season there is no doubt it's your ability to win in the air in the 4th quarter. That is what matters in the post season. There's a reason Mahomes and Brady have dominated the playoffs the past decade. Purdy looks like a future Brady and he's in the big game already. Our division is good because of the QB play. The steelers snuck in with help and got embarrassed.

the Falcons under Arthur Smith had about the same ineffective offense as we had. Our stats were hurt by watching Mitch start almost 4 games. With Mason in there I'm sure the offense was as good or better at scoring points as the Falcons.

Let's also not forget the falcons had one of the easiest schedule in the NFL. We had one of the more difficult schedules. that does matter when it comes to offensive stats and we weren't much different than the falcons. Watching our steelers all season what aspect of the game do you think has the most room for improvement? Running the ball was not a huge issue imo. So I expect solid results next season. The passing game was embarrassing. Our ability to convert first downs and score in the red zone was horrific. Long drives were impossible because we couldn't get 1st downs in the air. We would choose to kneel vs stop the clock when the opportunities arose . I don't see that mentality changing with a run focused offense and Tomlin as HC.

This to me looks like we hired him because he said he could win with a bad QB and we don't plan on having a good QB. It's a safe hire that could result in another wild card birth. We shall see. I guess what excites me the most is his record of using TE's. That could maybe be the biggest thing to watch for.

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He was the head coach with the falcons. He was oc for the titans and they had top 10 offenses. Try not to forget the falcons had a revolving door at qb the last two seasons. This season their 3 qb’s were amongst the least accurate in the league.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And toss in entropy

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I would’ve preferred Tod Haley, whose offense is more in tune with what you’re describing. I understand he wasn’t easy to get along with in the past but he could design receiver routes, open up the passing attack and establish the run off that

• Like Like x 1
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Just listened to scouts eye view with Matt Williamson. He actually said smith is quite innovative with his use of personnel groupings, passing routes to provide yac etc. no matter what we have to use play action passes more and for the love of dog improve the screen game.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Well Lebeau wasn’t to great as a head coach. Hopefully we can have the same success with Arthur Smith. If he can get Munchack and perhaps we add an innovative Pass Game Coordinator from SF or Rams along with a young innovative QB coach that would be prudent.Problem is we tried to run an outside zone concept and we couldn’t block it and Najee didn’t seem to be a fit. That was Arthur Smiths style so not sure how that will work.

10. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I hope they dont think he is the answer for fixing KFP. I realize he was HC in Atlanta and i dont know how much input he had working with Desmond Ridder but that sure didnt work out. Thoughts?

i do realize he did good with Tannehill at Tenn when he was the OC

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was going to say what he got out of Patterson was excellent coaching. Forgot he got that level of play out of him.

12. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    How much was Arthur Smith in Tennessee and how much was the absolute beast that was prime Derrick Henry?

That's will be interesting to see, our backs are good, but they're no Derrick Henry he had speed and power.

• Like Like x 1
  13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Tannehill 33 passing touchdowns

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Being a head coach and being an offensive coordinator are two very different jobs. There’s a whole lot more on your plate as a head coach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I agree. I edited my previous post

16. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I think this could set up two nice hires. Munchak and Smith both.

17. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

Great, i'll expect 30+ off KP/MR then.

18. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    One season or 3 seasons combined?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  19. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    If its just KFP will take 5 seasons to get 30tds:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016
    17 game season, 1.76 TD's per game, that's not unreasonable, if AS is the man then, sure why not?

• Like Like x 2
  21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s waiting for the Steelers HC job to open up after next season.

As for the Arthur Smith hiring, I’m good with it. Makes sense. I’m not over the moon excited but I’m not disappointed either. I like the guy’s fire and emotion. He was furious at Dennis Allen for seemingly running up the score the last game of the year. We need a coach who won’t hesitate to get in a players’ face if needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I agree.

He did some great thing as the Titans OC.

If we dont sign Mason, I wonder if we'd look at Tannehill.

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The list goes on…Todd Haley, Josh McDaniels, Ken Whisenhunt were not good HCs but were good OCs. There have been many successful OCs who didn’t cut it as HCs.

Tannehill had his two best seasons under Smith and the Titans offense averaged 28 PPG while he was there. Beats the heck out of our 16.8. He’s got all of the weapons he needs at his disposal with the possible exception of QB, the most important exception of all. We’ll see where that goes.

I really hope he doesn’t come in here singing Kenny’s praises and instead adopts the attitude of giving Kenny a chance to earn the starting job and that it’s not going to be handed to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

Let's hope not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Tomorrow Mark Madden will have an article saying how bad this hire was

Tomorrow someone here will quote Madden

• Like Like x 1