1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Pittsburgh Arthur Smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 30, 2024.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It sounds like a solid choice, I'm hoping for the best. Speaking of OC, Ben Johnson said that he is returning to the Lions and isn't going to seek a HC job.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    hmm.. was hoping for someone more innovative who has had prior success developing QBs.. i'm all for getting back to the run game, but we've gotta get the QB situation sorted out. nobody wins with mediocre QB play, especially not in the AFC with all the great QBs in this conference. if he brings in munchak, that will make me feel a bit better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe Tomlin is just already conceding Kenny is, at best, like a Ryan Tannehill: Manage the game, hand the ball off, and hit the occasional deep pass off of playaction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I do have concerns about his use of zone blocking. It seems our line is not built for such a scheme. Every time we try our running game is largely terrible and then we switch to a gap blocking scheme and the results are largely positive

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I don't really like this hire-- taking a losing record coach :swoon:----> Great the resurrection of Matt Canada. He better show something right away. I see another 500 season now or worse. Oh well got to support him now see what he does.:icon e surprised:

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Being a ex Hc, I don't see him as being a yes man to Tomlin. ( fingers crossed)

With him as Oc. I can see the 1st Draft pick being Oline now??

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This appears to be a safe, solid hire. He has a lot of experience and his teams are always able to run the ball. As others have said if Munchak follows him as Oline Coach and run game coordinator this could be very good for the offence.

8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Meh. Well it’s better than Canada but this hire ain’t gonna put us over the top. I would have like to seen a more aggressive approach to this coaching change.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    As someone already pointed out; I really hope the Mike Munchak coming back with Smith talk is a real thing.

10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I was thinking they would hire him.

Smith deployed primarily a run-based offense supplemented by play-action. This will play right into the hands of Harris and Warren and a HUGE bonus for Kenny and Mason for that matter.

Typically, he will run out of 1-1 RB-TE Set - Allowing for different personnel. EX 2 WR's and the H.
    or
    1-2 RB-TE sets, which would only allow for two receivers, DJ and Pickens.

So, there's some great flexibility there.
    As a Head Coach, I don't think he did a great job... he just didn't seem to be able to pull all the levers. Also, Atlanta has some front office issues.
    As an OC I think he's ok. He has a well-rounded view as he has worked both sides of the ball.

I remember him in Washington where he was a Defensive quality control coach. His Dad was a minority owner then.

If I had to grade this, I'd give it a B- or maybe a C
    He will focus on the ground game and with weapons like Harris and Warren, he should get the most from them.
    Since he runs the ball and plays play-action, this should really help Kenny Pickett, keeping the defense honest by having to check the run.
    My knock there is he had some talent in Atlanta but did not exploit it as much as I would have expected.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I guess one good aspect in the passing game is Muth will be featured a little more. He was largely an afterthought this past season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Good. This offense could use some saltiness.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    NOT a fan of this move at all

Guy is a level or 2 better than Canada at best, IMO. Steelers need to get into the 21st Century not run an improved version of a HS off system

He rarely used Brown when he was in Ten, sure Pickens n DJ won't mind......

At this point NEED a QB coach/pass game coordinator from OUTSIDE

If Sullivan retained this is groundhog day
    Nonsense

Hope to be wrong here, honestly. Not looking promising

15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    There are around 7 Offensive Tackles that will be drafted in the first round. If that's the direction the Steelers want to go then there will be a good one available at pick #20.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This has the potential to be a really good hire. Looking forward to free agency and the draft to see how this thing all comes together.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Have to digest this. Smith doesn’t strike me as the innovative get the team up to speed with todays offenses they were looking for but he is a run oriented OC which they obviously like.

The other thing is he doesn’t seem like a guy that is going to develop Kenny so I wonder who they might bring in for that. Wonder if they would try and get Mark Whipple? He was with Kenny in his best year in college. Jerod Johnson will end up someones OC so it won’t be him. I actually felt they were going to go with him for OC.

If this ends up with Munch coming here that would be a huge plus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    So when do we start the Fire Arthur Smith thread?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Seems sort of lame to choose this guy over young guns who had ties to the really innovative offenses like the rams , lions, or 49ers.
    We get retread from team that was bad. Great.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A moldy sock is a level or two better than Canada. Smith can run circles around him but is he outdated in todays offenses? We’ll find out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Great hire. Stop being ungrateful. Forget what he did with Atlanta. He has years of proven offensive play calling and design. We don't need some futuristic creator, trying to catch lightning in a bottle, kind of hopium. Not to say he isn't creative...quite the opposite from what I've gathered.

If you are Smith you have to be darn excited with the offensive talent in place. Plus, imagine the chip on his shoulder to prove he IS a leader.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Hard to get excited about this hire. Doesn't mean that it is a bad one necessarily. Meh.

• Like Like x 1
  23. VanIsle

VanIsle Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    Smith's offense in Tennessee was 10th in scoring in 2019 and 4th in 2020.

• Like Like x 4
  24. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Hoping it's a good move. There were definitely worse options.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

well said. :cool:

• Like Like x 1