1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No word???????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Jan 22, 2024.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    It's going on 2 weeks and no word on any firings on the Steelers staff, and no interviews scheduled for a OC they may be wanting to bring in??

I havn't even heard of them asking other teams for permission to talk to their coaches... seems like we are dragging our feet out the gate again:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    OC's usually start popping up after this weekend.
    Now Head Coaches are well underway, but some will also wait till after this weekend.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    First you I and Brice have no idea who and to what level they have talked to people

It probably started the day Canada was fired

Dragging feet absolutely not

Proceeding with due diligence absolutely

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Check your email. They've cc"d me on everything.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They might not fire anybody. They might keep Faulkner and Sullivan as assistants under a new offensive coordinator. They also might wait until the new OC is in place to do anything else about the offensive assistants.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the defensive staff remain intact, though it probably shouldn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    for the love all get out
    DO NOT REPLY ALL!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The Bears just hired Seattle’s OC Shane Waldron. An unusual lateral move.

Thats the first hire I have heard of so far, still lot of potential targets left. I can’t imagine they don’t already have a list of candidates they want to interview, they fired Canada during the season.

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Once Carroll was fired Waldron's name started popping up everywhere as an available OC. Generally new head coaches are wanting new OCs.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Waldron was out of a job after the Seahawks fired Carroll, so it's no surprise that he made a lateral move. He did a nice job there. I wouldn't have hated seeing the Steelers bring him in as OC, but there are plenty of other good options.

• Like Like x 1
  10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Since there’s no chance of shanahan take a step backwards I would like them to look towards Josh Mcdaniels. Yeah he’s an a-hole, but he gets results. I would much rather have him than Eric Bienemy. Really not interested in an OC that has Howell throwing 600+ times a season

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Jaguars are set to hire former Falcons’ defensive coordinator Ryan Nielsen as their new defensive coordinator, per sources.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

The reason that teams like Chicago, Los Angeles and even New England are even so quick to hire is that they have the resources that Pittsburgh simply lacks; doubly so in Chicago's case. Draft capital is a major component but that alone wouldn't be the only aspect. Cap Salary for these teams is another. Structure as well for no OC, much less Head Coaching candidate, wants to go to a place that has none or is literally nigh incapable of obtaining any stability.

That said, I really wanted Shane Waldron but the fact of the matter is remains that Shane will be able to maximize his Offensive Prowess with someone like Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels or even Justin Fields (if they keep him) far more than someone like Kenny Pickett.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting choice for certain.

Given how Ryan comes from the Wink Martindale scheme, Tyson Campbell is the only Corner on that Roster capable of playing Man Coverage to a large degree. Add the fact that the Jags will only have roughly $15 or so in cap space and all but guarantees who they will either go after or trade up for in the draft; Nate Wiggins. Dude is literally sticky glue with arms that even Inspector Gadget would be envious of.

Biggest advantage is his usage of multiple fronts. This will help and aid Trayvon Walker greatly for his Junior Campaign in the NFL; his Sophomore Season being better than the first with 10 sacks to his credit but not enough impact plays to go with them.

14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Proceeding with due diligence absolutely

Isnt that another way of saying we wont spend $$$$ on a top tier guy?:roflmao::shrug:;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Shane was the one I wanted badly honestly. Pep Hamilton is another though his last NFL outing left much to be desired. Alex Van Pelt would be my next target if I were the Steelers.

Dream hire for yours truly is still Klint Kubiak though.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought you were talking about MONEY. As in "Resources"

The Rooney's waiting around after the "New Money" teams get their first selections seems about right. The Steelers seem like they are always looking for a deal when it comes to out of pocket money.

added
    I know I have posted articles that say no way in hell Gruden is coming to Pittsburgh, but if the Steelers are shopping around for a good deal on an OC, Gruden will probably come cheap, just like Flores.

Pep Hamilton for Mason Rudolph
    Van Pelt / Jon Gruden for Kenny Pickett

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    In-person interviews can't happen this week for coordinators whose teams are still in the playoffs (Chiefs, Ravens, Lions, 49ers).
    As of next week, coaches from the teams that lose on Sunday are fair game.
    Coaches from the winners can be interviewed in person only by teams that previously interviewed them virtually.

As I understand, Pittsburgh has hashed out a list but since they play this close to the vest, it's tough to say where they are.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Kubiak would be perfect for them, but it seems like there's a good chance that he's going to the Bears

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Shane Waldron is already the OC. Why Kubiak would go to Chicago just to do the same job is something that doesn't make much sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Oops, my mistake. I guess I have to keep up on things a little better before I open up my mouth, lol

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All good. :drinks:

22. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    That's great that he's still available. I'm sure he's on the Steelers radar

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Yes they're dragging feet. Unless they're locked on one person and everyone is being told to zip their mouths.

24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

EDIT : Zac Robinson is his name

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Resurrected Geno’s career. Might have been a good choice for Picket. Pep is one of the people I hope they take a look at. All the guys on your list should be interviewed.

• Like Like x 1