1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin told players he's coming back in 2024

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by OB1, Jan 16, 2024.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    It’s not scapegoating the defense has been trash in the playoff losses. Look at the stats. It doesn’t matter man some of you guys are happy with a 7 seed and playoff embarrassment so be it. The owner appears to be fine with it as well.

2. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Save the ad hominem man.

What were your expectations for this team before the season? Even before the injuries, did you honestly think that this team was ready to compete for a sb this year?

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And a partridge in a pear tree

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You're wasting your time. That one has actually said Tomlin has ruined his life. Its beyond pathetic and sad.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There were some better teams than the Steelers that got embarrassed in the playoffs this year:
    Miami
    Philadelphia
    Cleveland
    Dallas

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    This is how I view Tomlin's body of work:

- When Tomlin had the leadership and discipline that Cowher instilled in the players, and Tomlin had Lebeau, Tomlin did good. The other AFCN teams wanted to copy the "Steeler's Way".
    - When all of that went away, Steelers have become soft on defense, inconsistent on offense, and a bunch of undisciplined players. Now, the other AFCN teams are more playing "Steeler's Way" than the Steelers.

I haven't seen any trend that says Steelers are moving towards becoming a tough/physical and disciplined team. In fact, we now have WRs just looking at fumbles, defense seems not be able to tackle, and team captains openly saying the team lacks structure and discipline. Based on that, I don't see why Tomlin should be extended.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Are we not still waiting for the next playoff win?

8. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I will answer it for you. It’s not this year but the whole decade. He had top notch talent with ‘Killer Bees’ but squandered the decade away with leaky defense that is carved up by likes of Tom Tebow, and Jacksonville. He is incredibly lucky that Ben hid a lot of his faults, and now TJ is doing the same. The team is doing mediocre in spite of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    More arrogant ignorance. First, I don’t think you know what a disciplined team looks like. Second, I don’t think that you know what a head coach does and/or doesn’t do.

Can you explain how a team that was the 6th least penalized, committed the 2nd least amount of turnovers, and was also 2nd in turnover margin, is “undisciplined”? You don’t know what Cowher did/didn’t instill in the guys who played for him the same way you don’t know what Tomlin does/doesn’t instill. You just talk, saying whatever you think will bolster your anti Tomlin agenda.

Why couldn’t Cowher’s discipline stop Ben from riding around on a motorcycle with no helment and almost killing himself? Cowher didn’t even have to deal with this new social media generation where coaches have even less control than they did in his time. Most people didn’t even know what an IPhone was when Cowher retired.

The Steelers gave up the least or 2nd least amount of points in the 4th qtr all year. Also as I’ve mentioned earlier, they’ve won 17 straight games when having the lead at any point during the 4th qtr. Kenny himself has 6 4th qtr comebacks in only 24 starts. For a quick contrast, I saw a stat over the weekend where the 49ers comeback win over the packers was the first time under Shannahan that the they had won a game when trailing by 5 or more in the 4th qtr. They had been 0-30 up until this last game. When I heard that I couldn’t believe it. Thats mind boggling because according t to many here, Shannahan is maybe the best coach in the league and clearly better than Tomlin.

I read what Najee said about “inside the building” and all that, but the NFL is made up of grown men who get paid millions of dollars. It’s a lot easier for Saban to have been a strict disciplinarian at Alabama than it was in Miami. That’s why he went back to college football. Plus, ever since that flip flop earlier in the season I take Najee’s quotes with a grain of salt. The guy is like posters here, he likes to talk.
    Like I said, clowns are obsessed with trying to scapegoat Tomlin for Ben not living up to the hype. From ‘14-16 they went 3 straight years getting eliminated from the playoffs in games where they failed to score 20 points. Once that Polamalu-Harrison led defense aged out and the franchise decided to build around Ben and the offense, that’s when the disappoints started. It was the great defenses that led the team when Ben first got there that hid his flaws. They literally won the ‘05 sb against Seattle in spite of him.

10. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    The only Super Bowl Tomlin won was because of Ben’s play. The last few playoff appearances had just garbage defense. … giving up 3rd and long on a consistent basis because secondary was looked clueless on how to play zone defense.

11. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    We Really need a pottle/kettle emoticon. hahaha... just read that sentence, and you are telling others they are arrogant?? :roflmao:

I'm pretty sure you have no clue much about football.

I didn't say it. Harris said it. Go argue with Harris... maybe call him arrogant.

I didn't read the rest of your drivel.

12. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    I used facts to back up my position. You respond by sucking your teeth and rolling your neck.

You did say that the team is undisciplined, don’t just hide behind Najee. I addressed what you said and I addressed Najee. Najee IS arrogant. He says a lot. He’ll say something one day then say something that contradicts the next day. This is a clip from before Canada was fired

He basically called you and others stupid for questioning the coaches the play calling and the schemes, saying it was all on the players. He said every team basically runs the same plays :lolol:
    They only won SB Only XLIII because of Ben’s play huh? A game where he threw 1 td and the opposing qb threw 3 tds. A game where the defense scored a td on arguably the greatest play in SB history.

Again, I have to just chalk this up to ignorance.

13. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    They had a 14 point turn around on that Harrison play, but the leaky secondary gave it all away and if it weren't for miracle throw and catch by Ben and Santonio, they probably lose. Harrison also said he was 'freelancing on that play...it wasn't a coaching scheme that caused that interception, unlike New England's interception of Seattle's goal line play where New England actually practiced defending that play. The famous last drive by Ben was also mostly sandlot football on broken plays. I read a statistics that Steelers defense gave up 66 points in first quarter during last three playoff appearance or some ridiculous like that. That's all coaching and being ill prepared. Coaching can make a lot of difference on defense.

14. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    It’s almost like Warner and Fitzgerald are great players that are in the hall of fame. You realize the other team gets paid to give their all trying to win the game too right? The defense gave up 23 points and scored 7 on their own for a net of only 16 points. It wouldn’t have come down to a great throw/catch at the end had Ben and the offense managed more than 13 points until the last drive. If it wasn’t for the defense Ben wouldn’t have even had a shot on the last drive.

Again, more arrogant ignorance. So bold with the stupidity, it’s crazy. Lebeau’s defensive scheme and coaching style is what allowed Harrison to freestyle on plays like that genius. Giving them the freedom to freestyle like that within the scheme is one of the main things that the players loved about Lebeau so much. You sound silly lol.