1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cut Ben some slack on the film study

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    In overtime in his own end of the field, a QB rolls to his right, and throws an ill-advised pass into coverage and it is intercepted, essentially ending the team's season. This describes a QB who is considered one of the best at studying film and running an offense (Manning) and one who allegedly studies little film and is a backyard gunslinger (Ben). Maybe studying film isn't all it is cracked up to be.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think down the stretch Ben realized it was all on him due to our oline and no running attack. He tried to do too much AMD was still injured.

3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It was a bad decision, it had nothing to do with studying film. Peyton can read defenses like no other, that's why he's always changing the play . ( usually for the better) 1 bad throw doesn't mean studying film can be a waste of time, it's only 1 play.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If you look at both of Ben's ints, they were both more bad throws physically than bad decisions. Against Dallas, he could have - and usually does - thrown that ball low and away so that only Wallace could get it. Instead the ball was high and inside. Against the Bungles the play was there if the ball had zip on it, but it floated, and was again high and inside. I'm not trying to be BB apologist, because he should have understood his limitations, but a fully healthy BB is able to zip those into spots where only the receiver can get them.

5. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    the int vs bengals was a no brainer. EVERYONE KNEW Ben would target HEEEAATH then and there.

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    When ever Ben wears the gloves his throws are usually off, they say the ball sticks to them too much. So he's trying to adjust to the gloves, some passes he'll release too soon thinking the ball will stick longer (but then the ball comes out normal = INT or over thrown) Or if he tries to throw it normal, then the ball sticks, and it comes out low. I blame the gloves.

7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Manning was wearing gloves yesterday wonder if that's why he threw that int?

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    naaaa he just sucks lol glad they lost cus I have an arrogant Denver fan on my street, when ever I see the clown he always has something to say about them beating us b2b. I can't say much back cus it wasn't the steelers who knocked them out, but I'll find something. When we lost to GB in the SB this guy bought a GB hat just to bug me , maybe I'll get a Rat hat lol, but I'll wear a steelers winter hat underneath it so the rat hat isn't touching my head.

9. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This.

10. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    that

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, I guess he wasn't reading well enough last night.

[video=youtube;obKLdou0LH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKLdou0LH0[/video]

The whole "Ben doesn't study film" stuff still cracks me up. Crazy how well that took off. :lolol:

12. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

must have a lot of guys in the locker room that have inside info on this... :lolol:

13. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Nobody said he was perfect.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Where did I say someone did?

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was referring to the one at the end of the game where he tried hitting Wallace on the sideline while running out of the pocket. The throw to Heath WAS a bad read. No doubt on that one.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, I was going to poke a little fun at this in the broncos/ravens game thread because at least 3 times I saw Peyton changing the play at the line and all 3 times it accomplished nothing. I was thinking, boy, Ben does that and gets ripped but here is the supposed master doing the same thing with the same results :lolol:

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't really think Ben has a choice. Haleys offense is probably more demanding and complex than Arians offense was. If he doesn't spend more time in the film room then the results will certainly show.

18. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This was kind of my point. If the supposed "master" and Ben pretty much get the same (poor) result, on almost identical looking plays, maybe some criticism of Ben is a little overblown. Execution in the heat of the moment is a tough thing to do, and mistakes happen.

I do think all Manning's shenanigans pre snap make him look smarter than he is. And he does choke in the playoffs a lot.

Go Houston!

19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes and as we see with Ben, Manning was getting the snap repeatedly with 1-2 seconds on the play clock.

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well Ben himself has said in the past that he needs to spend more time doing it so I will take his word for it. Ben is not a first read kinda guy though ya know. I think he can read defenses but I don't know how much he does it from the line of scrimmage as opposed to watching the defensive play develop and making a decision from there. I mean qb's like Manning and Brady will exploit matchups but it seems like Ben constantly wants to go for the big play and has never been one of those guys that "takes what the defense gives him". I like that but in some respects I wish he would just take what he can get some times. There were multiple times this year where an open guy was there but Ben just went for the longer ball. In the heat of the moment I can understand that but I wonder if he ever looks back in retrospect and thinks "man I need to start taking what I can get because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? I'm sure that is EXACTLY what he thinks. lol.

21. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Thought Ben's decision making process vastly improved up until late this season. He has thrown the risky throws when it was deep in the opponent's green and has stated so afterwards. So I think he does what the good QBs do in evaluating risk/reward.

So what happened? Well, when your line is broken and pieces are mixed and matched from quarter to quarter and you're constantly under duress bad things are going to happen. Add into the equation no run game to alleviate pressure, a new OC w/ different plays and structure, you're gonna see dropped passes and interceptions. And dumb ones!

I'm hoping that things are more in sync next season.
    I don't think lack of film study is a problem.
    View attachment 302

22. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The whole team needs a lot more than film studies. They need leaders for a starter and player willing to play.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    A lot of people around here like to buy into the rumor mill and flap their gums about stuff they have no real facts about. How does anyone other than Ben or the coaches really know how much fim he watches?

24. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    His best buddy Arians said as much in a recent article on PG

25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Peyton is a pocket passer, you don't see him run around much he was out of his comfort zone. Just before he threw the nail in the coffin, he probably thought he was 10 years younger and could put enough zip on the ball to get it inside the small window. His arm is gone and so are his legs = easy pickins for the closest defender. It had nothing to do with reading the defense, the play was already broken. He reads the D before the ball is snapped, not after.