1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin says that he is looking for outside candidates at OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am wanting an OC who will bring back the FB position. I want to see Najee running with a lead blocker.

You say the FB is Dead check out this:
    1st. SF led the league with KYLE JUSZCZYK playing 47% of the offensive plays.
    2nd Baltimore's Ricard was second.

So you have the #1 team from the NFC and the #1 team from the AFC having their FBs on the field for the most in the NFL. I guess if you want to win you put your FB on the field.

In 2023 the Steelers did not even have a FB on the roster, so I guess they would be at the bottom of the league. "Bottom of the League" sounds about right for Matt Canada's offense.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

interesting.

But

Balt does not go w Ricard much on the filed. Now you have me thinking - will watch harder tomorrow for this. that said, it will be VERY COLD and they may go w more 'heavy' packages.

are you stating that Juszczyk is on the field for 47% of SF's offensive plays?

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure Johnson had time to get back to that one. It was a rushed, unnecessary throw at the worst possible time. He assumed he could just keep picking on Elam and didn't realize he was in great position to steal that one.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Winding up fools by conning them into believing his nonsense is his life's work. It certainly isn't journalism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    They signed one out of Iowa this year. He retired from football during the first week of training camp

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers had a damn good FB in Kreider back in the good ole days of the 00's decade.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I think you need to rewatch that play, DJ never tried to come back , in fact he was back peddaling away from the ball which allowed Elam to undercut the pass and pick it off. There is no excuse for a WR to not be coming back for the ball that is thrown in that position. Thats a classic back shoulder or drive back towards to the goal line throw. This was not a pass that he could give up space on. We can agree to disagree but I just re-watched that play 4 more times and the more I see it, the more I cant believe DJ wasnt called out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I like your thoughts, but got thinking today how much is Art willing to invest? This is not about cheap, this is about investing in your team and bringing it to effective football play for today. I read last fall Canada was making 750,000 as OC, IDK if that was true, but google OC's and the best are making 1.5 to 3 million, hell the top 10 in college are making the same or more. Talking experienced OC, plus expanding coaching is an investment and the overall budget has to reflect that, unless you recruit the local WPIAL champ OC, but we did that with Canada, well maybe he was a level below WPIAL..

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    So how about all those interviews they've been conducting!

10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I'd like to see them bring back the blitz too. Did they even once blitz against Allen? Sorry if I'm a bit off topic, it just popped into my head

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Have there been any departures to the coaching staff other than Glen Thomas?

Not sure which staff members were at the end of their contract this year.

13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL... Did you miss the Patrick Peterson Blitz on Allen? Allen did as Pat P was thrown right off him and left in the dust. :)

14. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Teryl Austin's contract is up

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    That's probably why I don't want to remember it :lolol:

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That wasn’t a blitz, it was a fly by

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Or, Maybe you have gone to your Happy Place and your remembering the opening Game of 2021 when The Steelers played in Buffalo and won 23-16 by not Blitzing. :)

Steelers leave their "Blitzburgh" roots behind against Bills (dkpittsburghsports.com)
    In Sunday's 23-16 season-opening win over the Bills, however, the Steelers checked their blitz at the door. According to NFL NextGen stats, the Steelers blitzed just twice on 54 pass attempts by Buffalo.

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How sure are you on this?

I am not hearing anything about the Steelers not having a DC on their staff currently. I didn't watch the Entire Tomlin post season interview, but did he mention anything about the vacant DC position, and what the team was going to do to fill it?

It is just funny that no one seems to be talking about possible DC candidates if the position is vacant.

19. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

You'd hope so after 17 years and 5 straight playoff disasters where the he has been outcoached, where his team came out flat, and were unprepared for the game - all of which were pretty much over by HT.

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

that was a HUGE miss.

a VET like him should do better there....

allen didn't even really 'throw him off' - he just juked him.

I know that play is HARD - but PP had him - STOP when you get there - freeze Allen and the play is dead.

21. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Except the opposing defenses, who knew what was the play was based on the formation.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah baby! From my alma mater, football powerhouse, the University of New Hampshire Wildcats!

• Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Good.

Jettison Teryl's ass.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Elam made a heck of a play on that one. I doubt you can deny that. I think Rudolph just assumed Elam would continue to suck as he had most of that game. Johnson could have run a better route, but Elam was right with him and Rudolph didn't see it.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That was a huge mistake, too. What success the Dolphins had the previous week came when they blitzed Allen, and that was a defense that was even more beat up than the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1