1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin says that he is looking for outside candidates at OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2024.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    He could hire Kyle Shanahan and he would probably handcuff him into looking like garbage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I wonder if they would consider bringing Canada back?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Ramon Foster is trying to stay relevant.

It is no surprise that you are basing your takes on an uneducated guess.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It really did look like they went back to what Matt Canada had been doing with Pickett all season, which is a good reminder of why there is some reason to still have some hope for Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    OK, I will change my guess to... he had a Dentist appointment on Tuesday. Better or Worse for missing the last day of the 2023 Team season?

6. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    From the looks of things against the Bills, I wouldn't be surprised if he was still calling the plays from his basement

7. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    It was a very complicated and diverse offensive scheme. So much so that nobody could figure it out for 3 years.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Somebody rated your post "against the rules", I laughed so hard that I peed my pants :roflmao:

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I had to add another “against the rules” to it. Definitely a ban-worthy suggestion.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  10. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Man, you guys take your Steelers football seriously around here, you can get banned even joking about bringing Canada back :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The 69 year old Jim Caldwell? Not exactly young, upcoming and innovative.

12. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Hey I didn’t say it would be a good idea! I just know the organization loves a good reunion tour.

13. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    It was funny but I was like wait a minute did he miss it.

14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Madden's bs is absolutely the source for all of this KP pouting business. That gas bag needs to get on with his life's work.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Jim and his agent should demand that a free unlimited supply of Depends are part of his contract throughout his tenure as OC during the negotiations :lolol:

16. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    That's a very easy thing to say. The Rooney rule requires them to do that. They have to interview at least one minority coach from outside of the organization. So every single time somebody's hiring for a coordinator position or for the head coach, they can honestly say that they're looking at people outside of the organization.

As for the people saying Kenny is having a tantrum.....I think this is probably where some, if not all of that come from.... You can skip to 2:33 in that video. Kenny is asked if has gotten a different perspective or learned anything by being on the sideline and he gets kind a petulant look as he tells them no, he has not learned anything.

At the very least, there was no humility. He came across as somewhat arrogant and a bit pissed at the question. I personally thought that he reminded me of a 5 year old that crosses his arms, scowls and sulks while refusing to do what mommy told him to do. It was that kind of a response. In the Pat McAfee video I linked, it cuts off and you just see a bit of it, but if you find a more complete interview, you see more of it. This was just the easiest one for me to find.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Everyone has their limits

• Like Like x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I would agree. They have a 1st round pick.
    It's really only the keyboard warriors that are proclaiming him 'done.'

Kenny did not all of a sudden forget how to play QB.

But he did regress. I know some of it was poor coaching.
    Matt Canada siloed information. He had the units compartmentalized whereas most coordinators bring the entire Offense into these meetings and go through the films and game plans as a unit.
    I'm not really sold on Sullivan as QB coach, he is an improvement over Canada.

Here's my critique of Pickett.
    - He has to form some bonds with his receivers. He has to.
    - He has to listen and work with their inputs on plays.
    - I think he has a grasp on the play book, but needs to step it up several notches. (Bad OC in the past is largely responsible, the new one should be much better)
    - I don't buy into the 'jumping around, out of the pocket.' He's taken some wallops, how could those suddenly/magically be forgotten? But he does need to work the pocket better.
    - His game is being mobile. That's what the new OC needs to develop. When to run, when to roll out, etc..... coaching. He should be glued to his OC and QB coach.
    - In no way do I think his ceiling is a Brady/Manning level. I do think he can be a Ben lite. (Yes, not as strong.. but he can extend plays in his own way)
    - The biggest thing for me is Redzone offense. When they get there, he needs to be laser focused on TD's. Again, a competent OC will help that situation a lot. (We need a big physical receiver too. Maybe a better TE).

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This hire is the most important hire the Steelers will make,including
    players. And MT must let this hire full control of offense. This person
    should not only be able to design a system that fits our players strengths
    but he should know when to and how to call a game against different situations
    and defense adjustments. Put our players in a position to succeed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Thats my point, DJ never came back for the ball like all receivers are taught, know and train. DJ allowed the defender to get between him and the ball which cant be done Thats why I blame DJ more than Mason on that interception.

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    They love brothers too. Does Matt have a brother who may be interested? Maybe someone who currently coaches on Fridays instead of Saturdays?

22. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Don’t speak these things into existence

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Winner winner chicken dinner

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Now you are trolling

Take it back

25. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    We may not like the slow and steady method but at least Tomlin and Rooney don’t react off of emotion or knee jerk reactions.
    What I learned this year is that as bad as Rudolph looked earlier in his career he really did look different and provided us hope this season with his play. So if he can grow and develop as a QB why can’t Pickett?
    I would like to see them resign Rudolph and maybe bring in another QB like a Gardner Minshew but if they resign Rudolph I doubt they will do that. I am hopeful it will be an open competition.

I hope he brings in a whole new offensive staff. As bad as Canada was we need to upgrade at the WR Coach position and Oline Coaching position as well. Bring in Hines Ward or somebody like him who isn’t going to put up with the shenanigans from Pickens and Johnson. They both need to mature alot nd be held accountable. I feel like there needs to be a bit of a buffer between those guys and the QB as well. Their acting out I believe had a negative effect on KP. It shouldn’t but it did. The Oline Coach for the second year in row has struggled to get these guys ramped up for the first half of the season. We need someone that is going to add stability and growth to that unit.

Finally we need to look at how teams like SF have structured their coaching rooms. They have become a factory for developing coaches. They have alot of redundancy and second layer coaching positions that support and develop coaches so that if they lose a coach it is next man up. It is a great way to develop coaching talent within your culture and system. I think we are way understaffed in our coaching rooms. thats why you see us struggling to make in game adjustments, challenge calls accurately and manage the clock efficiently. We need more coaches simply form a support standpoint so that the main coaches like the HC, OC and DC aren’t stretched so thin.

• Like Like x 1