1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin could walk away from the Steelers and take some time off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 8, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All find it Hilarious, but can't no one show Me the lie. That's what's Hilarious. Facts over feeling gentlemen. Just because You don't like, or agree with something doesn't make it not a fact. I hate getting older...., but the fact is...unless I pass...I will...I can hate it, and laugh all I want.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Coaches work 17 hour days but I have no idea what Tomlin does during all those hours, apparently he has no responsibilities! Wears a headset and calls timeouts I guess.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I lied, I’m not done. Curious on what you think about Ben saying when asked if Tomlin will go outside the organization and he said it’s possible but he doesn’t like to do that, doesn’t like getting good young coaches. Paraphrasing but it’s in the link I posted further up in this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    So is what Ben said the 4th lie? Or is it the 3 coaches who lied? I'm still waiting for proof of these lies.

The real question is, if Dick Lebeau is hired to be a member of your staff against your will, and then falls over in the woods, does he make a sound?

Idk, there are so many words that don't seem to tie together in STDs post right now that I'm lost.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What?

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What?

7. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Probably pretty close to the truth, just add in him showing up for press conferences to spew his silly cliches

8. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I understand this was mid-season 1988, not after the season.

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Can you nane a coach that actually says something substantive in those conferences? Cliches abound in all of them. We need to be discerning about what is going on. My gripe with Tomlin is what the team does on the field.

10. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    We all know what he does on the field, and that's my only real concern. He goes barely above .500 every year, and gets blown out in the 1st round of the playoffs. That's if and when he's even lucky enough to get in

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok. I will make this simple for some of You.
    1. Did Tomlin bring in Dick L as His DC???
    2. Did Tomlin fire Arians??
    3. Did Tomlin hire Haley?
    If any of these is a no....then in a real world conversation... this is proof that Tomlin doesn't have full control on bring in His staff. Now every one know that's 3 times we know He didn't...You can't pick , and choose.....You can't say....He makes all the decisions, and then say.....Well not THOSE..three times. LoL. Hey have You ever committed adultery.....No never.....what about.....well those 3 times don't count. LoL. This is not a freaking hard thing....., but some of You want to believe what is not true. Just one hire, or fire that He didn't do....means in any real world He doesn't have full control.....You know this.....I know this, but somehow You will still argue He does.....all except those few times. LoL

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh man, are you ok? Did you hurt yourself? You carried that goalpost really far :lolol:

No one ever made the argument Tomlin has full control, that would be stupid, of course an owner can step in whenever he wants. The argument was that coaches in general build their own staff. I’m actually surprised someone that has followed sports as long as you have doesn’t know this.

Care to address what Ben said? 3rd time I’ve posted it asking you. If you can’t admit you got this wrong, then leave that soapbox you lug around at home from now on.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/12/b...kner-as-oc-in-2024-unless-mr-rooney-steps-in/

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry dude. I have a life ....I didn't see Your post....I haven't been on in a few days. So what does that prove. Nothing He says ....says He hires all the staff. What about Ben saying that Tomlin tried keeping Arians.....oh wait that doesn't fit what You want??? LoL. Make up Your mind....one minute You say Tomlin makes all the decisions, and the next......well just not those times. You can't have it both ways. I don't understand why that's so hard to understand. :shrug:

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well it was the 3rd time but ok, you didnt see them wink wink.

So in the future when you accuse people of not being able to admit they are wrong, remember you are top of that list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What are You talking about??? Your a freaking mod....You can check. I didn't see Your dang post because I just got on about 20 mins ago, and haven't been on in a few days. GEEZZZZ!!!! LoL. Will it make You feel better if I check in more frequently???
    LoL.
    After we get knocked out of the season....I take a few day off....I do it every year.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The other time I posted it was about 2 months ago :lolol:

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well I never seen it. Why would I lie???

18. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I for one am blaming it on the president of operations for not game planning strong enough.

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    DK said today that Art confirmed that Mike Tomlin is getting an extension.

20. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Dude, seriously. We're talking about reactions to when Trubisky was acquired in 2022 and the Ben v Canada debates of 2021. If you look to the left you can see I've been a card-carrying member of this fine establishment since 2014.

And you want everyone to trust that your recall of specific postings from two years ago is on point.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I see 2014.

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Bro...There is so much wrong with your line of thinking on this that I don't know where to start. I will try to go in order

#1) Please stop. You need to eliminate this from your rational, because its nonsensical. Dick Lebeau was here before Tomlin got here. He was already on the staff. When Cowher resigned, the remaining staff came with the coaching job. Every candidate was well aware of this. Whether it was Russ Grimm, Ken Whisenhunt, or Tom Landry, Dick Lebeau was going to be the defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Let's not forget, that at the time, Dick Lebeau was regarded by just about everyone as the top DC in the NFL. So there is 1 of your 3 instances completely debunked.

I'm going to skip ahead here.

#3) Yes. Tomlin absolutely hired Todd Haley. The interview process was run exactly how it will be this time around. Tomlin, the GM, and Rooney were all part of the interview process and the decision was a collaboration between those 3 and other members of the offensive staff. The only reason people think that Tomlin did not make the hire is because he made a comment that he was surprised Haley got the job. The media ran with the comment and turned it into something Tomlin didn't actually mean. Tomlin was surprised Haley won the job. Of all the candidates interviewed, Haley was clearly a long shot. Just because he was surprised Haley interviewed so well, doesn't mean Tomlin wasn't on board with hiring him. Haley certainly was not thrust upon Tomlin the way you are speculating.

Back to #2.

#2) Here is the only one you even have a legitimate argument on. First off, like it or not, BA retired. He was not fired by Rooney. Clearly, there was more to this. I don't know if anyone besides Tomlin, BA, Rooney, and Colbert know the full story. It's understandable that Rooney was tired of watching his franchise QB get pummeled by Arians' offense, and a porous offensive line. Whether Tomlin wanted to keep Arians or not is debatable. I find it hard to believe that Tomlin and Rooney were at odds over this decision. The fact of the matter is, if Tomlin was that steadfast that Arians return, then Arians would have been here.

As for your proof, nothing you read in the media is proof of anything. If the recent "Mike Tomlin is Walking Away After the Season" bit of fake news doesn't prove that to you, I don't know what will.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    If you can’t believe any reports in the media, who do you get you information from? Just curious?

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    100% my take on the situation.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :whistley: