1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin says that he is looking for outside candidates at OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2024.

1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    He’s a professional and that is how it works. He isn’t in HS or college anymore. Humble pie is hard to swallow but it’s good for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it is good for you.

whether that makes you a better QB is a whole 'nother discussion!

3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Are you actually comparing Mason to Allen? :)
    Allen threw 18 this past season.

4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Possible that the OC position will not be the only change....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    It’s good for everyone. To be humble is to be human. It definitely makes you a better leader.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think he also said he values potential OC's who have experience. I don't think it is going to be some young guy.

7. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Please no Leftwich, get a top Coordinator but will we pay for one. Disappointed Tomlin is staying was truly hoping he was going to leave. I knew most likely he wouldn't walk away from $12m but thought Rooney wanted to move on and Tomlin and Rooney would cut a deal on going to another team via a trade or some sort of buy out. Tomlin has made a fortune from the Steelers already. I will watch and root for the team but have zero expectation of every going deep in the playoffs with Mike behind the helm unless we have a team like we did in 2008 that was just flat out dominant but even then we barely won that Super Bowl with a last minute heroic drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011

in my opinion, that intercerption is as much on DJ as it was on Mason. DJ has to come back to the ball. That was not a corner fade route so DJ cant allow the defender to cut underneath him, its basic WR know how. I am sure if asked, DJ would admit that he had some onus to that as well.....I mean if he was/is a man of honor.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    He means food buffet i.e. fatboy. I assume you got that.

10. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Watching the play DJ just puts his hands palms up ike he is gonna take the pass into the bread basket vs breaking back towards the goal line hands out front to grab the ball. I know its quick bang bang but you have to assume in the endzone the ball is going to be contested so trying to catch bread basket style unless you are wide open is dreaming a bit.

11. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    Who else on the team was he going to name? He said there was going to be a competition. Is there a QB on the team right now who doesn't have a contract that's currently in danger, whose name isn't Kenny? Everyone knows Mitch will be gone, and while I think they do actually want to bring back Mason, it's not a guarantee.

So again, who else would Tomlin have nominated? Beyond mentioning that there would be competition for spot (implying Kenny's QB1 status isn't set in stone), what else was he even say to a question like that?

Honestly, it just beggars belief that anyone would even ask him that when they already know the answer. The media is literally just trying to rile everyone up...again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Those things happen.
    I've seen that same route where the QB throws high, allow DJ to get a jump ball.
    I've seen that same route where the QB throws back shoulder, allow DJ to do a Pickens.
    It's all on how it is coached and between the communication between QB and WR.
    I don't sweat it much. Mason's just a guy not like Allen who can overcome those mistakes.

13. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011

I dont disagree the throw could have been thrown somewhere else. However DJ is 5'8", he is not out jumping anyone. The throw was basically a back shoulder throw and DJ never stopped or came back to the ball, instead he was back pedaling thinking he was going to catch a fish thrown from a boat. Like I said , I think both at are at fault but once the ball leaves Mason hands, its up to the receiver to either be the offensive player and make the catch or be the defensive player and prevent the interception. DJ was not in position to be either on that throw. He never got his hands on the ball or the defemder to prevent the pick

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben said as much so I expect it to be someone thats been around a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re fooling yourself of you don’t think they have every intention of giving Kenny another chance with a new OC. Can play all the semantics you want but Tomlin also said next season is huge for Kenny. He emphasized “huge”.

Kenny’s their guy, even if Rudolph is back. The only question is how much time they give him to show something.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Watch the replay again DJ is falling backwards.

17. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    Ok - but, even if that's true, who else was Tomlin going to name? It remains a dumb question because, either way, there is literally only one answer to the question.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The answer could have simply been there will be an open competition for QB1 next season. He didnt have to dress it up with any of the other stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    Even still, I'd argue that if your QB room is unstable and you have nothing to gain from creating a potential controversy with the only QB that you know is going to be there next year, then the best way to answer the question of who's QB1 is to simply go with the only guy who you know is going to be there next year - which is exactly what Tomlin responded with. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the guy, but I have far more of a problem with the premise of the question than I have with Tomlin's vanilla answer. That he mentioned a competition at all, despite not even knowing who will even be on the team, is, in a way, kind of remarkable in and of itself.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

The Fan, said they will probably interview Caldwell, Supposedly Tomlin really respects him :shrug:

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I got it

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I put an extra "F" in there but thanks I rectified.

I believe he is related to Golden Corral

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Fair enough.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They can't they rely on a jerk like Madden or facebook.

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I don't know how anyone can be exited about who the next OC will be with Mediocre Mike still being the HC. They can promote Danny Smith to OC for all I care