1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin says that he is looking for outside candidates at OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    I feel that comment or future depth chart is very much written in pencil. It did not feel like a very strong endorsement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I can't go with "Kenny is already the guy" as I think they are looking.
    But I agree with you.
    I just think they will shop the QB FA market and draft one...
    I just a good evaluation as it should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'd agree they are looking to an extent, but the stance they've taken is that they want to bring in someone to develop a QB from within. We have 1 QB on the roster that is guaranteed to be here next year. I think we are looking for an OC to develop Kenny, and we will sign a vet as an "insurance policy" more than true competition. The organization wants Kenny to be the guy. They are all but saying it publicly. That is why I think we are not going to re-sign Mason. Too many people on the team want him to start over Kenny. They won't risk letting that happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just to address the interception in the end zone, yes it’s a bad thing, but watch the play here. First, it’s a timing route and the ball was thrown while the defender had his back turned. It was a great defensive play. Some interceptions are “worse” than others. Second, how about NOT putting a QB who isn’t a running threat into a 5-wide set on 2nd and goal at the 4 yard line. I know that going 5-wide is intended to spread out a defense, but it’s hard to spread out a defense horizontally to create openings when vertically there’s only 14 yards between the LOS and the end line. That was a catastrophically poor formation and play selection in that situation with a non-running QB. Just utterly stupid.

• Agree Agree x 9
  5. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Outside OC was great to hear

BUT the ENTIRE off staff needs upgraded -
    1 OL Coach/run game coordinator
    2 WR coach
    3 Off QUALITY CONTROL
    reviewing WTF they have been running, when run, predictable? How are opp def defending you , for year, last few games etc.
    Swear they do NOT do this

4 Tomlin GTFO of the wsy

6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I think you are spot on.

7. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Be meant to say they're looking to bring in competition for Mason F... Rudolph. Because Kenny can't even show up to interviews.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Wouldn't hurt to bring in a new D coordinator also

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Interest rates... lol auto fill. I got to get a new tablet. lol.

No doubt the play design/calls have been terrible this year.
    I've watched this play a lot, I am of the opinion he should have gone over the top.
    None the less, it happens. I don't really ding Mason that much for it. It happens.
    The non running QB is again poor play design. 100% agree.

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    A QB draw in that scenario would've been a great call. Spread them out and take our chances with Mason running it in on 2nd down. The defense wouldn't have expected it. We do too much of what the defense expects. Never really catch anyone off guard.

11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You remember the QB draw Peyton ran in the Super Bowl? lol
    It took him an entire Quarter to run the 2 yards in.
    Mason would be a little quicker. :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
  13. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    No. He is going into next season with Kenny. Maybe the leash will be short, who knows what he means about competition?! It's like when posters say here competition, who knows what that means, but that it certainly does not exist.

14. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

I have Klint Kubiak at the top of my list with Brian Griese as my sleeper/long shot.

15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    To be fair to Kahn and Tomlin, they did improve the middle of the defense in 2023......then they lost all of those improvements to IR, then lost the safeties to injury and suspension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I don't think they need to honestly. I think the defense played about as well as they could with the situation they were in down the stretch. Missing their top 2 middle linebackers, missing TJ in the playoff game, Cam being hurt and just old, losing Kazee to suspension, Fitz being injured, Peterson and Wallace just being bad. None of those things can be fixed by a new DC and frankly you can only adjust so much.

Defensively they were pretty much middle of the pack in

overall YPG - 21st
    passing YPG - 17th
    rushing YPG - 19th

However, in points per game which to me is the most important, they ranked 6th.

Also, they were one of the least penalized defenses ranking 5th.

They also ranked 8th in takeaways.

Bottom line is that they have issues at DL and MLB and need another corner for sure. Trice will becoming back from injury but aside from his physical stats, we have no idea what he will be.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The offensive Coordiantor is the one who dictates to the offensive position coaches what the strategy is for the year and what he needs the players to do. If they get the right guy for the OC job, those other items you listed should improve. As I posted in another thread, the Steelers operate a very lean coaching staff compared to other teams, they always have, even before Tomlin. I think Rooney needs to explore expanding the staffing budget a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Who's this? Is he related to Jimmy or Warren?

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They will let Rudolph test FA just like they did last time. There may be more interest in him this time around but I don’t think there will be much. Pittsburgh is still his best landing spot for a chance at starting.

Him being here won’t cause any problems, Kenny will either play well or he won’t and then Rudolph will step in. But if Kenny is doing well and throwing TD’s, the WR’s won’t give a **** who's throwing those passes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    They shouldn’t be

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Didn't Allen throw two the last game? He's still kicking. Guess that stuff happens

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    com·pe·ti·tion
    noun
    1. the activity or condition of competing.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    The fact Tomlin is looking outside for an OC gives a strong indication Tomlin intends to be here for more than just 2024

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Cmon now...what is he supposed to say in this moment? Our 1st round pick is a bust and that we have no answers for next season?

Of course he is going to allude to going with Kenny next season. The only other option at this point is Mitch as he is the only other QB on the roster. The rest would be all speculative and he said time after time he's not going to speculate and nor should he.

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correct - most of our coaching sucks - including HC

DC is just a figure head, you know that. MT coaches the D - it keeps the payroll low, Rooney is dirt cheap, cheapest coach payroll in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1