1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin says that he is looking for outside candidates at OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

good first step....

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Stressed it strongly. Also QB focused.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    He wants to bring back Mason, was pleasantly surprised but stressed that he is a Pro and it is expected.
    Acknowledged that Mason is a FA so he can't predict out come.

Mr. Rooney, Ohmar and Tomlin will make decisions on OC.

Still strong on Kenny. Says this is a big, big year coming. The OC search will look at QB concentric and experienced OC's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    he should have said that they are looking to bring in some competition for Mason because Mason clearly outplayed Kenny. Truth is that Mason probably signs some where else and Tomlin once again lets the best player for the position rot on the bench and then leaves or plays them too late.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'd put Kubiak at the top of the list. Doesn't mean he'd get hired tho. Eric B is probably in the running as well, just don't think he's coming here. Would love to be wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    They have high interest in 'continuing to do business with Mason.'

As for outplaying him, on an NFL evaluation, it is subjective. Throwing picks in the end zone is not good..
    But there will be competition.
    And there will be a new OC with QB focus. So they get a chance to compete and win come summer.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Takeaways

Kenny starts in 2024, big year for him. Starter is on the roster.
    Wants to bring Mason back when free agency hits. Posturing about some competition, whatever that means to him, but it essentially means Kenny knows there is a #2 behind him waiting to take over. In any case, it's not competition, Kenny is #1.

They want to improve middle of the defense, that will be a big focus.

He is looking for extension, part of that effort on his part is to hire an OC from outside and for that to happen, to not be lame duck coach, he will pursue an extension too and secure himself as well.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    "Obviously" he will be coming back and will receive an extension.

So bringing in an outside Offensive Coordinator is paramount and he said as much. Also said that both Faulkner or Sullivan won't be in the running.

No decision on the defensive staff yet.

I believe that Peterson won't be back with his wording about the exit interview.

He also said that Buffet Harvin did not perform well the last part of the season.

So we shall see in 2024. Bring on Free Agency and the Draft.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5
  9. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Mason is an unrestricted free agent. If Tomlin had said that about Mason then he would be driving up his price during contract negotiations.

We all know Mason is better right now, but they cant say it till he signs a contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Pickett better quit pouting and except the competition. Maybe if he actually learned something when he was benched, just maybe he would improve.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Where does this "pouting" thing come from?

Tomlin was very clear about Kenny both in the conference and in the hall.
    Kenny Pickett is a professional (regardless of his skills level) and is very competitive, he is not a 5-year old.
    Kenny supported Mason very well in preparations.
    The ankle is much better, but to be honest, Mason was playing great... Kenny is still injured and wasn't playing well. Go with the hot hand.
    They will be competing this off season. Though after I heard some other comments, I doubt you see a Wilson or Cousins here.

I do feel like we did get a lot of the same old, same old.... "We want to be World Champions."
    Though I'd admit he was the most open I have seen him, ever.
    His contract extension most likely will come next week. This helps with the OC search as well.
    He is looking at his staff - I'll believe this when I see it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Probably the most transparent I've ever seen Tomlin. I'm going to assume they already signed a contract and it's just waiting for a time to announce it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Nothing about the Steelers looking for a new D.C. ???

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Please show us the evidence of Pickett pouting or doing anything other than support Rudolph and call out Madden's nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Where was Kenny on Tuesday then? I would guess at home pouting in his room like a 5-year old.

Ramon Foster said on his podcast that Kenny as Captain should have been there with the rest of his team; hell even an injured TJ Watt and Cam came in to say goodbye to their guys and thank them for the work they did this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I 'think' Austin's contract is expiring.
    I think he is open to looking to the outside.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I could be reading into things, but listening to the conference, I wonder if there will be some other staff changes as well.

It was already mentioned in this thread, but I like that he said it would be an outside OC with experience and that the decision would be made by Owner, GM, and himself.

I also feel like he spoke pretty candidly and with increased transparency. While it looks like he is definitely getting an extension, I would wonder if he hasn’t been told about certain improvements that need made.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I haven't seen it, but one post indicated he said they haven't made any decisions about the defensive staff yet.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I am looking forward to listening to the interview later, but I'm glad to hear they are looking outside for the offensive coordinator. I'm glad they see that the middle of the defense needs to be upgraded. Now let's see them execute those two goals properly.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Very much seemed like at the very least very little from the offensive staff will be retained. Hard to say about the defense.

21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Man, that is lame.
    There was only a hand full of guys there...
    But the point is that he is a Captain. I think it is a missed opportunity.
    But the 5-year old crap is just poor. You have much better input than that.

I wish he'd address this himself like that other rumor that was wrong.

22. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Oh lord, now that he named Kenny the starter for 2024. this place will be insufferable with support for garbage quarterbacking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    TBH how we as an organization feel about Kenny will likely dictate what we do with Mason. If we bring Mason back, its going to create an instant QB controversy. There are guys on the team who have spoken both anonymously and publicly that they want Mason back and back as the starter. If they let Mason walk they will open the door to them installing Kenny as the starter with very minimal competition. It will be competition in name, but a pre-concluded outcome.

IMO Mason should be relatively cheap and easy to bring back. No reason not to. I fear we are going to make it so that Kenny gets another shot.

As far as the OC goes, they all but said they going to go find someone with success developing QB's. Bevell and Kingsbury are quick to come to mind. Zac Robinson maybe? This to me also shows that they are trying to pair an OC to develop a QB (which they should have done last season, but I digress) in hopes to bring Kenny along to be an NFL caliber player. All signs are pointing to a Kenny Pickett led offense in 2024.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

That's something I kept thinking.
    'It feels like' that Ohmar and Mr Rooney maybe be pushing some buttons.
    Speculative on my part. But it seems like it.
    And I think Tomlin may have gotten a little push on the 'walk out' thing... and It was pretty much as I thought.
    Stuff happens.

25. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020

Hard for players to go from high school starter, college starter, to NFL bench after being the starter. Especially when an injury took him there.

I can understand his frustration but do agree he missed an opportunity to be an adult in this situation. Tomlin said he handled it well in house, but from the outside looking in hard to agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1