1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Simpleton offensive plan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by OB1, Jan 16, 2024.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Some people don't watch the games. They only complain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Mason lined up to throw the ball 39 times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    I think that a lot of these guys watched the game rooting against the Steelers just to complain and have more ammo for their anti Tomlin agendas.

You’d think that the Steelers were the #2 seed at home being led by a mvp candidate at qb as 10 point favorites.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Don't put words in every steelers mouth - not all of us are simpletons.

It was 100% the wrong approach.

It was 7-0 before any turn over.

The pick was due to the simpleton game plan: a stupid run by 22 on first down was followed by an empty set out pattern on second and goal from the 3. Any non-simpleton KNEW exactly where those plays would go. It made the Bills job easy and that makes it a simpleton approach.

Only a simpleton calls a pass on second and goal from the 3 with empty set and throws an out when the planet knows that's the pass pattern they've run most all year.

5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I don't think there was anything wrong with the approach, it was the play calling. Run up the middle twice, then pass, no variety. Why not mix it up by running a sweep or reverse to Pickens or DJ? Why not throw a screen pass on 1st down, or even take a shot down field? They did nothing to keep the Bills defense off balance, everything was so predictable

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Why do you think that is? Could it be because they didn't score until they were down by a lot?

Wouldn't it be better to take a lead to start a game so you don't have to throw 39 times?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    So the key going forward is how the Steelers can improve for 2024. They need to make some tough player decisions, ie Heyward, Trubisky, ILB position, Mason? I still think Heyward has something left but probably not at his salary. Find an OC. Get ready for the draft. They will give KP another shot at the starting job. 2024 will be the year for KP to swim or sink.

8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Did you watch the game?

9. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    One of the criticisms that I had watching the game was that they gave up too early on the run on that first trip into the red zone down by the goal line. I thought that the call on the play that Mason threw the it was bad. I would’ve rather saw another run play instead of that particular play.
    It’s easy to sound so arrogant and all knowing the day after the game though. Those were the same plays that had been working in weeks prior and against stacked boxes. Buffalo gets paid and they want to win too though. Sometimes you’ve just got to tip your cap. They were on it yesterday. They have a good defense.

It’s not like the Steelers weren’t moving the ball. They actually outgained the Bills. The game was decided by the turnovers on offense and the defense l’s inability to contain Allen running. You really don’t have to look any further those 2 factors.
    You most definitely are though.

I’ve already explained that I disagreed with the 2nd down call on the drive Mason threw the end zone pick.

it should’ve been another run.

There was nothing wrong with the offensive game plan. You can nitpick at some of the play calls but the plan of trying to establish the run game was common sense. It’s just too bad that the turnovers led to the bills jumping out forced them to deviate. Those same runs that buffalo were hyped up to stop early, would’ve been fruitful later in the game had they been able to keep it close. The idea of wearing a defense down and breaking their will seems foreign to you and others.
    The idea of going into the season with Kenny as #1 is very disheartening. I didn’t realize how bad he is until I saw Mason come in just do the basics.

The defense has to get younger and cheaper.

10. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Every arm chair OC likes to question play calling. The Steelers threw a screen pass on the 1st drive. It had some success. I don't believe the weather conditions allowed for shots down the field. The Bills Dline did a good job tipping passes at the line.

The problem in the game were the mistakes by the Steelers. Not the play calling.

11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    It was a combination of both. Did you think that was a good play call on 2nd and goal?

12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You are probably right about that drive. Sometimes coaches outsmart themselves. Give credit the the Bills DB that made the INT.

KP is a young QB. Year 3 will be key. The 3rd year was key for Allen and Hurts. The Packers didn't give up on Love. Some other QB's like Baker and Geoff had early and later success. The QB thing is hard to figure out.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe the Steelers had the matchup that they wanted? The execution failed is what we know 100%. Coaches don't turn the ball over bro.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Funny. I remember people here arguing that it was all the quarterback. Nope. This is the same **** we saw most of the season and it was really stupid.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Don't forget that they it was obvious Rudolph was going to keep picking on Elam, but this time he didn't have to give any cushion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yes, in the Bills game Tomlin's conservative offense, that we had seen all season long under Matt Canada took over, and the Mason Rudolph deep shots were gone.

You can't blame the weather on this one. The wind was not blowing and the ball was dry, it was only cold, but that would be a reason why we didn't see Calvin Austin run down the field on a go pattern.

17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    He deserves every bit of hate he gets and then some.

18. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Define conservative offense. The weather took away the deep passing game for both teams.

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What weather, are you talking about, the bad weather on Sunday?

On Monday, it was dry, it was sunny, and there was no wind. Sure it was cold as hell, but that shouldn't stop Mason from attempting to throw some bombs down the field like he did against Cincinatti and Seattle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    You expect the coaching staff to make in game adjustments?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    lol. Sad, eh?

Technically I was saying they should have come in with a different plan in the first place.

22. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Tomlin’s earlier success was due to Cowher’s assistant coaches when he was merely a rah rah guy. Now he’s just incompetent and throws off sentences which he himself doesn’t follow like ‘we don’t live in our fear.’ Tomlin does. ‘Scared money don’t make money.’ Tomlin plays scared. Frankly, he is idiotic at this point. He also plays favorites… different standards for different players… which is incredibly toxic for team concept. He just sucks the Steeler fandom out of me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How so? The wind wasn't nearly as bad as what they had expected Sunday. There was no reason the teams couldn't throw deep. The Bills did something they rarely do with Allen, they took what the defense gave them. He played a well-disciplined game, which is really out of character for him. I think that was excellent coaching by the Bills. They knew they were the better team. They knew the Steelers needed turnovers to beat them.

The Steelers, on the other hand, were stupid not to at least try some shots down the field. Now maybe they did and the pass rush disrupted them, but they handcuffed Rudolph just as they had done to Pickett most of the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Excellent and spot on. Bills out coached us shockingly

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hope Kenny “gets it” in year 3, but Allen and Hurts both took steps forward in year 2. Kenny regressed. I don’t know how much of that was Canada’s doing, and I'm not sure it matters if the damage is done.
    This is an ugly statement, and I doubt (hope) that it doesn’t reflect the views of most of the fans who are ready for a change. I believe for the majority of us it’s about accountability for objectively measured results and whether we believe that he’s the right coach for the future.

I like Tomlin and respect his achievements, which are first-ballot HOF worthy IMO. I’d love to have a version of Tomlin who learns from his mistakes and is less stubborn (for example , starting Trubisky vs the Colts when it even obvious to Mitch’s mom that he needed to sit). Also one who is a bit more steeled in driving results and accountability rather than prioritizing loyalty (see debacle of hiring Canada and keeping him too long). The NFL is not a league that rewards misguided decisions. I simply don’t see Tomlin getting over the hump, and as such I believe it’s time for a new leader. But I sure as hell don’t hate him.

• Winner Winner x 1