1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin told players he's coming back in 2024

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by OB1, Jan 16, 2024.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Your thumb

When Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel it was common to flip people by putting there thumb between their fingers

One of the paintings on the ceiling is flipping off the chapel engineer who deliberately made the scaffold too short

Michelangelo asked the pope for a raise and he said no shortly thereafter was a painting on the ceiling of a guy mooning the pope

2. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    As usual, I'm pretty optimistic about next season. Lot of talent. Get healthy. Few solid draft picks/free agents. The team is close.

Need D-line help. First two picks should be D line and center. Sign a tackle to get 77 back on the correct side. Moore bye bye.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I certainly wasn’t insinuating Rooney doesnt care about losing, just that hopefully the lack of playoff wins will spur him to make a move rather than run it back with Tomlin again.

I doubt it though but the lack of contract extension does make me wonder.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is amazing how often this ridiculous take is repeated on this site.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Rooney is signing him to an extension... personally I'm grateful now as I'll be sleeping instead of watching Steelers games. I'm not going to stress over this. I did the same for Pitt last season. If I'm not being entertained, I'm just not going to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think if he wasn’t given an extension he would not want to be a lame duck coach and would accept it. Glazer is along time friend and said something about Washington as a trading partner. Tomlin is from that area and his wife owns a business and something appealing about that location, I don’t remember the details or what I am conflating that wasn’t part of the repost, lot of speculations were flying around.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I did not see that, makes my last post moot lol.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, Glazer does have some legitimate sources, including Tomlin, and he was the primary source of the reports from outside of Pittsburgh.

Sunday's game was a microcosm of everything that has been wrong with the Steelers in recent years. They were not well-prepared or disciplined. That was very clear in the first half. They had some fight in them and figured out a way to make a game of it, but the early mistakes were way too much to overcome against a good team.

That said, Tomlin wasn't going to be gone unless he chose to go. The question is his coordinators. They need a new offensive coordinator with a new staff. Hiring from within again would be disastrous. I couldn't argue with getting rid of Austin, too, but I can understand keeping him. The defense looked pretty good before injuries decimated them in the middle of the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Uh huh

10. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    McCarthy doesn’t quite have a 63% win rate with the Cowboys but more importantly he’s in a different situation. The boys are built to win now. They have everything in place and we’re just blown out at home by the #7 seed as the #2 seed.

Many of you are sounding like this is what you believe happened to the Steelers. Trading your post, one would think that the Steelers were the 10 point favorite #2 seed with the mvp candidate qb who lost at home.

You do realize that the Steelers were 10 dogs on the road without their best player right? These talking points seem ready-made.
    See above.
    While impressive, 61% isn’t 63%.

I would also advise to take note of the kind of franchise that would do that. One that hasn’t one even 1 SB and doesn’t know how. How many different coaches and resets in “culture” you think that they’ve been thru since Marty mar?

11. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I’m sure there are numerous owners across all sports that run their teams more as a business P&L than winning as the primary objective.

Even if we agree Rooneys want to win, what’s the definition of winning? Maybe it’s 17 non-losing season and a positive P&L. Doesn’t appear to be Super Bowl or bust, which many fans aspire.

12. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Except this was the 6th least penalized and #2 team in turnover margin for the season. That points to being pretty disciplined.

Obviously the turnover bug got them and some untimely penalties cost them in yesterday’s game, but to paint this team as usually being undisciplined and unprepared is just a lie. It’s one of these ignorant anti Tomlin talking points

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Down to hoping for a good OC. If he runs it back with Faulkner it’s going to be so depressing.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wouldn't be the 1st time they forced a change at OC....ask Arians , and T. Haley.

16. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Looking forward to another 3 score plus wildcard loss next year.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Martin Schottenheimer

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I honestly could care less about career record. It does nothing for us next year that Tomlin has a 63% win rate.

Also, Tomlin HAS been exactly Mike McCarthy. 2017. go 13-3, 7 point home favorites only to get embarrassed. He then missed the playoffs the next two years, only to return in 2020 as 5 point home favorites and get embarrassed again. Tomlin was exactly in McCarthy's shoes and didn't get fired. Now he has clawed into the playoffs twice since then and got blown out. Couldn't win as big favorites, couldn't win as underdogs. Nearly the same exact game unfolded in 3 of the 4 games. Go down huge, come back enough to make it kinda interesting, lose. It didn't matter whether we were favorites or dogs. It just is Tomlin playoff ball.

19. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Playoff teams don't lose to back to back 2-8 teams. We had no business making the playoffs. Tomlin chose to start Mitch - we who we are. If Mitch didn't start we probably win the #2 seed and still get knocked out in the first round like Dallas did.

Next season it will be something else . Injuries always happen. Expect it. The defense cannot rely on only Watt to be successful. It's a team sport. The offense can't rely on one player and it certainly has to have a sound scheme and well coached players to compete in this league. Even Mahommes needs WR's and an O-line. The coaching staff is mediocre at best. Tomlin needs elite talent to win. Even then he still choked in the post season with a loaded team not long ago.

The only chance this team has to turn it around next year is if we see an overhaul the coaching staff around Tomlin. An OC that can totally turn this offense around... and obviously we need a miracle turn around from Kenny or a new QB that has talent. The defense has holes all over with aging vets holding it together. We need another safety and corner. We need ILB's that can stuff the run. We need someone besides Cam that can ball on the D-line...and most of all we need. better coaching on the defense as well. Without better coaching this team will continue to make mental errors and play sloppy ball year long. Winning with big plays and sloppy inconsistency is not sustainable. This is why we lose in the postseason and we always will until it's changed.

I'd like to see us hire an Assistant Head Coach that can set the tone of consistency and bring a new culture of accountability to this team. Tomlin isn't going to leave on his own. He has too much freedom and a home in Pitt.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Speaking of Michelangelo.
    upload_2024-1-16_19-11-47.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Nothing out from the Steelers that Tomlin is coming back. This is an interview with Cam and it was posted 4 hours ago so Im not sure what is going on but apparently players were/are worried he might not come back.

22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    What's so funny

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:drinks:

Thanks for the mention man!! Stay warm!!!

God knows I am!! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Everyone getting their hopes up over clickbait articles

25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    the question was about being fried with that %, 10-7 and going to the playoffs, while 63% is indeed greater that 61% lifetime, 10-7 is far less impressive than 14-2//come on man...do better.