1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 15, 2024.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    If this loss causes Tomlin to leave in oneform or another. Then I'll take this loss as a HUGE WIN

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    if you defend Tomlin, you're basically defending mediocrity, because that's all we've seen for the past 13 years. three playoff wins (one win against matt moore led dolphins, 6 field goals vs the chiefs, and the burfict game) and a handful of blowout, embarrassing losses. yeah, he's a pretty good regular season coach, despite the many inexcusable losses we've incurred.. but when it comes down to crunch time in the playoffs, we've pretty much always been outcoached and outplayed. i just don't understand how much more of the same thing the stubborn Rooneys need to see before they realize this franchise is in need of a culture change.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Time to move on, many good coaches looking for a job right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wasn't aware the decision is up to you :shrug:.

5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Because running backs don’t get 2nd contracts. Sell high, this team has needs.

6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The next coach will be an unknown. That’s the way.

7. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    To me Najee coming out saying what he said should be another indicator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Now would be a great time to strike on some young offensive talent. Johnson and Slowik could change the outlook of our offense.

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    What did Najee say?

10. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    With the QB’s we have? No it will not. That position is the whole issue. The line improved, run game improved. QB did not. We will probably be in free agency looking for one.

11. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Here is a quote.

I've been here three years, obviously. I have my opinions on things, but I'm just a player. But if you want to elevate and get to where we're at, there's got to be some in-house things that need to change," Harris said. "Coach [Tomlin] always tells me just play running back. That's a little inside thing that we have too. But if you want to elevate where we are and achieve those goals that we want, we have to change some in-house stuff. Like I said, that's not my place, that's not anything that I can control or do anything about that."

"In-house rules. Not no changes or coaches or anything like that. Just the rules that are in the building," Harris said. "We've got to be more disciplined. We've got to be more committed. I'm not saying that we're not, but coming from a place that has structure and coming and just seeing, we could probably get help in these areas; make a change. I think that's something that could help. I'm not saying anything about coaches or anything like that; I'm saying in-house rules."

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In-house could mean players only. Policing each other.

13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    OOF

"In-house rules. Not no changes or coaches or anything like that. Just the rules that are in the building," Harris said. "We've got to be more disciplined. We've got to be more committed. I'm not saying that we're not, but coming from a place that has structure and coming and just seeing, we could probably get help in these areas; make a change. I think that's something that could help. I'm not saying anything about coaches or anything like that; I'm saying in-house rules."

Najee is basically saying that in-house we are a mess. No discipline, no structure.

"I've been here three years, obviously. I have my opinions on things, but I'm just a player. But if you want to elevate and get to where we're at, there's got to be some in-house things that need to change," Harris said. "Coach [Tomlin] always tells me just play running back. That's a little inside thing that we have too. But if you want to elevate where we are and achieve those goals that we want, we have to change some in-house stuff. Like I said, that's not my place, that's not anything that I can control or do anything about that."

I absolutely HATE this line. "Just play running back". Awful leadership. Tomlin is basically saying here that he doesn't care at all about Harris' opinion/feedback, and he isn't looking to change his ways or evolve with the team. He's gonna do what he's always done and Harris (the players) are gonna do it that way whether they want to or not. Plus, the "shut up and play" thing just isn't something that jives with the younger generation.

Its not overly surprising since the product that's been on the field kind of reflects both these things to be true, but it is HIGHLY concerning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe. He also mentioned coming from a place that had rules and structure. Seems like he's talking about Saban and Alabama where they run a tight ship.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Coming from Saban's Alabama team to this undisciplined mess doesn't bode well for winning championships. That's what I took from Najee's comments.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Thank you for this. I should have read behind a few pages before asking... I just posted these two quotes from that article as things that stand out. Horrifying quotes TBH.

No wonder we do the things we do as a team. The entire operation apparently lacks structure and commitment. The "shut up and play" style leadership.... It kinda reinforces my own thoughts on why this team has lacked the success we could have had in years past and present. Stubbornness, refusal to adapt to the team or the game, lacking structure.... all things that are depicted here are things that have the ire of the fans pointed at Tomlin (and have for years). A bit vindicating for those that held those beliefs to kinda get a "peek inside" from a player that reinforces those beliefs.

17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    He’s not coming back, just a hunch from his no comment on that subject in the post game and his aloof attitude during the game - more aloof than usual

he’s stayed too long anyway, should’ve been gone after the Jax loss in 17.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Absolutely. You don't have to have a great QB to have a good offense.

1 - Dallas. Dak is good, not great.
    2 - SF is a perfect example. System has Mr. Irrelevant looking like an MVP. Brock Purdy is good, but he isn't a total stud either.
    3 - Lamar is unique, but he isn't a total stud either. Took Monken's offense unlocked a next level that brought that offense forward
    4 - Tua was not that good until McDaniel's offense turned him into a good QB.
    5 - Ben Johnson resurrected the ghost of Jared Goff and turned in a top 5 offense
    6 - Buffalo. Allen, stud.
    7 - Philly. Hurts? Up and down, but overall pretty good. Not as great as he was last season. Close to stud.
    8 - GB. Love has been really good to end the season. Did LaFleur finally unlock something? Fine young QB
    9 - Rams. Old man Stafford is still pretty good, but not the same as he once was.
    10 - New Orleans. Carr is a decent player, nothing special
    11 - Houston - Stroud, rookie. He might not be too far from being a stud.
    12 - Indy - Minshew. Backup
    13 - Cleveland - Watson, meh. Flacco played great, but he isn't what he once was.
    14 - Jax - Lawrence - meh

There really aren't a ton of GREAT QB's in the league right now. I don't know why we couldn't find a young offensive mind that could find a way to take an OK QB and turn in a top 12 offensive effort. Especially if we can run the ball a bit. Our QB situation certainly isn't great, but I am not sure that the right person couldn't find another gear in someone like Mason or Kenny (or Fields/Mayfield for that matter) that could see us turn in a quality offensive season. We don't have to be the league's best offense to win games. We just need to not be 28th and help the defense out a bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I agree with you but it takes time to do that. Pickett has been here two years and he isn’t the answer. You cannot win every year, look at the car crash in Philly. He was coach of the year, in a SB last year and now he’s under pressure to get fired. That makes zero sense. This is a sport and there are winners and losers. You can put any current or past coach out there and they lose that game with two turnovers in the first quarter. How many years did Cowher lose out from 97-04? Remember they were going to fire Harbaugh three years ago because they haven’t gotten to a bowl since ‘13? It’s about getting the right people on the team and it’s been hard because of our draft position and people may not know this but the Rooney’s are not classified as big spenders. We needed Rowan Smith this year when he left the bears, we didn’t try and the Ravens did. Those are the kind of things Tomlin cannot control. You can only work with what you have. Right now, we do not have a QB. I think Russell Wilson will be here via trade in March.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    2 biggest biggest faults with Tomlin, one is his inability/refusal to put together a competent coaching staff.

Second is this right here. We gonna do what we gonna do. @thorn058 harps on it all the time. This here below is infuriating.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    THIS should have all of us angry! THIS is Tomlin's trademark, in ability to make adjustments and a perfect example of being out coached. The Bills didn't believe the Steelers could, or would throw on them. So instead of at least trying to make them pay for it, Tomlin decided to run the ball vs 9-10 man fronts! We desperately need an offensive minded coach leading this team. I honestly don't think Pickett or Rudolph are the future of this franchise, but I'd LOVE to see what either (or both) can do with an offensive minded coach teaching them and drawing up GOOD plays for them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The funny thing about the second point is when asked why the plan didn't work Tomlin will fall back on execution.

Well yeah, coach. It's hard to execute a between-the-tackles running game when the defense decides to drop a safety into the box to counter it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

He had 1 bad interception and hung in there to bring them back within 7 points after being down 21-0. Lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Johnsons team scored 9 points against a 9-8 Tampa Bay team. No friggin thanks.

25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't get it when people say this. Don't they spend up to and, sometimes over, the cap like every other team?