1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How is your summary of the season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DIzzyG3015, Jan 15, 2024.

1. DIzzyG3015

DIzzyG3015 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2022
    I start, to put it briefly: some highs, more lows, unattractive football mostly. But they showed some resilience and not-giving-up mentality at the end, wrapped up with the usual playoff disappointment.

as for the game, I was furious after the first quarter, another first half blowout. The resilience and not-giving-up mentality applied here as well, at least to some extent. Not sure yet how I feel about the season in general, maybe it was still more than expected somehow, but again nothing to remember.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Failure

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Smoke and mirrors

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. VanIsle

VanIsle Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    Little better then I thought they would be....

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If Allen was our QB, we would still be in the playoffs.

So my summary is: Can`t go very far without a franchise QB. Lucky to get as far as we did.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Same song and dance from 2022 minus one win.

S.S.D.S.

(Same $#!t, different season).

Standard is the Standard!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I thought a successful season at the beginning of the year would be to make the playoffs and play a competitive playoff game. They kind of did that so the season went about what I thought it would.

8. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    For me it's the same as it's been for pretty much tomlins entire time here or shortly after the bulk of the players cowher coached left. It's been players not prepped to succeed, terrible coaching decisions ala game planning/clock management/challenges/leaving talent on the bench and dropping games to inferior teams at the most inopportune times.

ALL this happens every year yet I'm always a little impressed when they manage to eek out a .500 or better season and crushed at the same time as I know they are never really a threat when it matters because no matter the talent the players aren't put in the best position to win.

Black and gold til the day I die but man has this gotten stale over the years. Though cowher may have had a couple losing seasons, at least his teams were a threat and had a winning record in the playoffs. Ready for the steelers to be relevant again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    This...

I suddenly feel worse about the trajectory of this roster than i did a year ago and it's time to blow it up from the HC to the water boy to the roster itself.

11. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    solve the QB problem. that was the biggest difference between pittsburgh and buffalo

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You don’t think the defense that allowed 3 TD in first 5 drives was the problem?Ben had worse results. I read defense has allowed 66 points in first quarter of last 3 playoff games or something ridiculous like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I really don’t know what to make of this season. It’s been fairly uncomfortable to watch most of the time.

For balance though, worth remembering that We finished the season with a third string QB, fifth or sixth string ILBs, without Watt and played without Heyward and Fitzpatrick for a lot of the season.

We also had interim OCs working with what was reputably the smallest playbook in the league.

With all this in mind, I think if we had a newer HC to hang in the wild card game and keep it close - even when going 21-0 down - there would be a different narrative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    No it's not. Aging defense, undisciplined football, spoiled WRs that quit. A quality QB hides many faults, but doesn't hide everything. This roster needs gutted and rebuilt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Music

Steel Music Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018
    It's time to blow it up.

Man, I love TJ Watt. But the guy is never available when we need him the most.

I think Father time is definitely catching up to Cam. It's a damn shame how this man's career was wasted to such mediocrity.

I'm done giving Tomlin credit for digging himself out of messes that he creates, but at the same time never really achieving anything significant in the playoffs. It's time we part ways.

I'm not saying Mason Rudolph is 100% our starting QB next year, or if that would be a good thing. But it was a criminal offense to leave him sitting in QB3 this whole time when we were in desperate need of better QB play all season. I'm not sold on any of our QBs yet but I will say that out of all of them Mason definitely looks the best. I don't think Kenny would have had the patience to sit in that pocket last night. Mason read the field well and he really doesn't get the respect he deserves. Honestly though, I'm on the skeptical side too because he needs to prove it a bit more. It's only been a few games but he's looked pretty damn good honestly.

Kenny, I'm not very optimistic. I'm starting to not like his attitude. I don't know if he has enough to overcome his physical limitations. He's not built to be an NFL QB really. Athletic guy but nothing that stands out. Combine that with his happy feet in the pocket most of the time. This is a recipe for a decent backup QB at best I believe. A team that is truly competing would definitely want better.

Art needs to do what is best to move this team ahead. It's like this team is stuck in the snow with bad tires. And he's just in the driver seat punching the gas hoping to eventually get out of a rut that he's done this team into. I don't like where the team is at right now. The QB situation is a big question mark. The defense is aging. Really the only weapon I like on offenses George Pickens. Oh line can be decent I just need to get rid of Dan Moore. But there are a lot of pieces that are needed to make this complete team and one of them being the most difficult to get right. And that's your starting QB. I don't trust Tomlin.

With all that said I truly think it's time to just blow this thing up. I'm not just saying that as a knee jerk reaction, or some type of hyperbole. I truly think the best thing to do is get what you can for TJ. Get what you can for Tomlin. And let Andy weidel and Omar Khan have a huge say in finding the replacement head coach. Get the right guy in here and let him build up the team. I don't mind even if we get it wrong the first time. But we can't be slow slow to react and loyal to players and coaches that are beyond their prime that are not helping this team win. It's time to blow it up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    My summary…exceeded expectations.

17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Same as it always was

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Low bar.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    With the roster we had, and after a strong finish last season, I predicted the Steelers would finish 11-6 and win 1 playoff game. So to me, the season was below expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  20. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Too many unanswered questions... sometimes competitive, sometimes not ..
    Change is needed ( QB, COORDINATORS/COACHES, OLD PLAYERS)
    for this team to actually have some light at the end of the tunnel

21. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Groundhog season. This season for me was "show me" for this roster and in particular for MT, I have hoped and coped my way around his glaring deficiences for too many seasons, and for the first time if I didnlt see a marked improvment and some better coaching then I was going to ask for a change of HC. The numbing predictability of how this season played out, just as so many had before led me to finally accept MT could not continue as HC. Too resistant change, too slow to make changes, the game has passed him by.

The record again masked the reality that we looked awful for 80% of the season, and the playoff blow-out was what we've come to expect. It's Tomlin ball all over again, again.

It's time for a change, new coaching from top to bottom, and gut the roster. Let Khan and Weidl have full control and see what they can do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    They were projected to win 7 games and be last in the AFC North…they won 10 games and made the playoffs. How is that not exceeding expectations?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Pretty much as expected given the lack of talent on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Were you expecting this team to win the Super Bowl? Their over/under win total was 8.5, and most people picked them to finish last in the division.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1