1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin could walk away from the Steelers and take some time off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    He won a Superbowl with Mike Holmgren's players, lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. This from a guy that almost everything that he Say turns out wrong. I gotta laugh. LoL. Yeah. Tomlin brought Dick L. in as His DC, Yeah Tomlin brought Haley in as His OC, and fired Arians. LoL. That's 3 forsure instance that He had nothing to do with His staff.....Anything else You like to be wrong about. LOL

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. I did say the guilty would speak up. LoL. People say what You want NOW, but unless the mods erase the past. It's still on here. Hell last time I said this everyone was like proof...So I brought back a thread to show it, and guess what....all on that thread got really quiet, and didn't ask again.
    Many Many many said Trubisky would be good, and Chicago was His downfall. Same with Canada, and Ben holding it back. He'll I already brought one thread up showing this.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell I've give proof. Made Tomlin keep Dick L. as his DC(whom I Love), fired Arians when Tomlin tried keeping Him, and Hired Haley. None of those are Tomlin doing, and shows He does have 100% say, but again it doesn't fit the narrative that some want to believe.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Haley was our last competent OC

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've shown proof before, and everyone most that said they didn't say it got really quiet, and acted like they didn't. Also You weren't even on the board when this stuff was said. Unless it was under a different handle.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And????

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    My opinion is that Tomlin is an average coach with a higher floor than most but low ceiling. He has been lucky that he had Rothlisberger for most of his career and now has arguably the best defensive player in the league in TJ Watt (we are 1-9 in games where Watt has been out...hopefully 2-9 after tonight ). Rothlisberger was an intense competitor. Manning, Brady and others have shown that it's the QB that gives you consistently winning seasons. If Tomlin had been hired by Detroit, his fate wouldn't be much different than Jim Caldwell.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So that’s why he loves Pickett so much. They’re both high floor, low ceiling guys, lol.

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Some of you guys act as if Tomlin is some beta, walking the company line and doing what he's told.

This is not Mike Tice we are talking about. This is Mike freaking Tomlin.

Everything thing that is the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tomlin has his fingerprints on.

He absolutely 100% has control over his staff. There really is no question about it.

I am sure there has been times that Rooney has had to jump in and demand that changes be made. Mainly, because many times Tomlin failed to recognize that changes need to be made.

This narrative that Art II is a meddling owner who decides which quarterback plays, and hires and fires coaches against Tomlin's will is silly.

The reality is, that this is Mike Tomlin's world. We all just live in it. Mike Tomlin is the Pittsburgh Steelers. He has final say on just about everything. I doubt Art II eats breakfast without calling Tomlin to find out what type of bagel he should eat.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    And can we please stop with the "Tomlin was forced to keep Cowher's staff" stuff??

Of course he was! We had an elite coaching staff that had just won a Super Bowl 2 years prior. Any owner that was smart would have wanted to keep that group together.

The fact that Tomlin inherited Cowher's staff has no bearing on coaching changes that we made over the years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Giving outliers to support your agenda. You’re all talk, you’ve never admitted to being wrong about subject you’ve been invested in.

Coaches build their own staff, no duh an owner can step in.

And I’m sure the never never land you live in I am wrong quite a bit.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of these guys have no idea how the real world works. A coach with nearly 20 years seniority has serious clout.

Not to mention it’s standard practice for coaches to put together their own staff regardless of years on the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If the Steelers get a new HC, the new HC will bring in an entirely new staff

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And that fits exactly with what I posted

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What makes you so sure? Wouldn't some of our
    position coaches Be able to apply for an open position if their qualified?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    He doesn’t have to call him they eat breakfast in the same cafeteria all week

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah but they don't eat at the same time. Art doesn't get his food until he's done taking Tomlin's tray up.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some of You want it both ways. 1st He hires all of His coaching staff then....oh, but not the outliers. LoL. Which is it???
    Make up Your minds. If Just one time , and it's been more than once....someone steps in , and fires, and hires a coach, or keeps a coach, and Tomlin has no control over.....then tell Me how He has control over all the coaching hires???? You can't and it make any sense. He either does, or He doesn't. You say it like some woman saying they are kinda pregnant. LoL. You either are, or Your not....He either does , or he doesn't, and We know for a fact.....Dick L. wasn't His hire, He didn't fire Arians, and He didn't hire Haley.....these are facts. I know its hard in this feelings over facts world We live in now.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah except for those 3 coaches. What You are saying is like a thief saying.....I have never stolen anything.....Well except those 3 times. LoL. Crazy thing is You actually believe what You are saying.....even knowing 3 coaches that we know for a fact He had no control over. Feels over facts.

21. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    So, can we have a lame duck head coach for 2024? Is that acceptable?

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats some word salad there but let’s just cut through all that bs. Does a coach build his own staff or doesn’t he? Not just the Steelers, all coaches in general, do they build their staff or not?

• Like Like x 2
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes let's cut through it. Of 3 coach that we know of are hired, and fired with out a HC doing it.....tell Me in what universe that make Him in control of all His hiring of staff, and no....if You ever listen to Rex Ryan, , and other coaches talk they will tell You they don't. They go in with a list of who they would like .....with 3, or 4 different guys for each position, and the GM, and owners say which they can have. You do know it's not a set price on any coaches, and they don't give HCs a blank check.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, that’s what I thought. You’re wrong. Done with this.

25. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I think it’s president of operations who does everything the HC only does press conferences