1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How to assist Watt DPoY voting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MeanJoeBlue, Jan 13, 2024.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I regret not posting this before the playoff games started, but I promise I was thinking this before the current score (Houston 45 Browns 14 in the 4th quarter).

Since Cleveland is doing such a hard PR push to get Garrett as Defensive Player of the Year, the best way to get the voters to think about a worthy candidate (like Watt or a few others), instead of being talked into giving it to Garrett, is if the Browns lose.

Specifically, (1) lose big, (2) Houston huge score, and (3) Garrett non-factor.
    So far in the first 3.5 quarters, he has 2 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 INTs, and 0 FF.

(One game shouldn't ruin his campaign, but hopefully this game plus his minimal impact for the last weeks of the season will offset the work of the Browns PR department.)

• Like Like x 2
  2. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not know when the vote was taken or is due, but its for regular season, and no one who has a vote gives a crap what we say or think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    True, but like you said, this has basically been his production for the past 2 months now. The media crowned him DPOY back in October, which is absurd

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    just googled it, the voting has already concluded for NFL season awards. They are announced SB week.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well they dang well should. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Garrett is assisting Watt with the DPOY. Three tackles on the biggest stage for them this year. DPOY don’t disappear

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Ah, I was hoping it was still going on this week.

At least after the Steelers win this week :prayer: and Watt has a monster game in the upset of the Ravens next week, we can righteously roast the voters if they gave it to the undeserving PFF darling.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    But his PFF grade for the game is 97.5!!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think Garrett is getting this award but I wonder if some of the panel wouldn’t mind having their vote back after he and this Browns D got dogwalked in their biggest game of the season yesterday.

I see Browns fans pointing to injuries but their injuries are on offence. This D is nowhere near what it was talked up as being

• Like Like x 2
  11. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    After the playoff loss, I've been reading articles pointing out how bad the Browns D is on the road.
    31st in points given up.
    It is remarkable how good they were at home, but I would think a great defense shouldn't be that level of bad in away games.

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If Jussie Garrett wins DPOY as far as I’m concerned it’s a sham award and has lost all semblance of legitimacy! He choked in the biggest moment and had one sack, ONE SACK, in the last seven regular season games. Yet the national sports media has been talking him up for half the season as if it’s a foregone conclusion that he win DPOY. Why is that? :hmm:

Anyway, poor Jussie said this was his most painful loss ever. Bet it’s not as painful as the loss of someone’s character after you falsely accuse them of using a vile racial epithet.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/01/t...myles-garrett-laments-playoff-loss-to-texans/

13. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Have they been taking pointers from Bill Belichick and Harbaugh?

14. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    In his last 6 regular season games + 1 playoff game, he had zero QB hits in 5 out of the 7.
    (In contrast, Watt only had 2 games out of all 17 where he failed to get a QB hit.)

Rather surprising for someone touted as having a great PFF win rate (whatever that actually means).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Playoff stats:

Garrett: 3 tot tackles(2 solo)... 0 TFL, 0 sacks, 0 int's or passes defensed

Parsons: 2 tot tackles (1solo).... 0 TFL, 0 sacks, 0 int's, 0 passes defensed

Basically, the 2 so called front runners for DPOY had a combined 5 tot tackles with 3 solo and nothing else

• Like Like x 1
  16. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Found this PFF article. (I don't have an account, so I can only read what is open to everyone.)
    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-da...-sacks-and-other-pressure-affect-nfl-offenses

"PFF’s data certainly backs up Hermsmeyer’s findings... at 538.com, sacks moved the needle hugely while other types of pressure were not nearly as devastating to the offense, with one notable exception: hits in the throwing motion."

So in other words: actually getting sacks make a big difference, win-rate by itself not so much.

17. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Mild Garrett.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

At this point, it isnt going to shock me if Garrett does win the award. Will be disappointed for Watt for sure. That said, Watt still is the best EDGE in the game as far as I am concerned.

19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes if you look back at their results they’ve given up big scores quite frequently, especially on the road. They were being talked up as an ‘all time’ type defence all season but I just don’t see it at all.

They are a very good defence but not elite IMO

20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Garrett got more 1st team All Pro votes than Watt, that is probably an indicator that he is getting the award.

I know the All Pro and DPOY voting panels are different but it’ll be a lot of the same guys voting so I think you are right.

TJ has a great case and I hate this recent trend of putting more importance on subjective measures over and above tangible on-field production. If Garrett had TJ’s production it wouldn’t even be a conversation, he would be a shoe-in

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. sec108

sec108 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Based on the Texans / Fairys playoff game, Watt will have the same stats as Garrett vs the Bills!!

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think some of the Steelers players said they can communicate better on the road because crowd noise is less when the home team is on offense. I guess it goes both ways. At home the Opposing teams Offense has to cope with the crowd noise and it helps the defense out.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They were talking about it during the game, but coming in, no one was saying anything about it!

24. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I listen to a couple of NFL podcasts on my commute like the Athletic, PFF etc and they, along with others in the media have been pushing the Browns defence as a historic unit all season is what I meant.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    as mentioned it has zero to do with the post season its a regular season award.

That said Watt is head and shoulders above ANY others. Stats don't lie.

It will not be surprising if Garrett and Dak win. Both a disappearing act in the playoff games.