1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin could walk away from the Steelers and take some time off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Well, I think it's a fair comparison in regards to the last 7 years. To me it makes no difference if you have a losing season or non losing season if you can't win a playoff game. Does Tomlin get to stay as head coach forever based solely on early success with Bill Cowher's team? I mean, he's done next to nothing on his own other than keep his non-losing season steak alive since 2010

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re awful chippy for a guy that didnt even know a HC picks his own staff.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Big difference. Yes there were those that said Ben was holding Canada's offense back, and Trubisky was a victim of Chicago, and Mason was lucky to be a backup. But the percentages of those saying that were far smaller than those calling for Tomlin's job this season.

In this day and age, you would be lucky to get to 60%, in a poll asking whether or not the sky is blue. People were nearly unanimous in calling for Tomlin's head after the losing streak.

4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Ravens did the same thing with Harbaugh some years ago. Harbaugh made the playoffs and got his extension.

5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    He has a year left on his contract. He might choose to coach next season and walk away. If he does that, I doubt he coaches anymore. I think he goes the Cowher route. Gets a cushy studio job where there isn't the pressure to build and perform year-round while his wife continues to do what she loves in a large market.

He deserves some of the criticism he gets but not all of it. There's something to be said for the non-losing season streak. If he's going to get back-slapped by the national sports media for it constantly, then he deserves a kick in the ass for his poor playoff record.

My personal opinion of Tomlin as a head coach is that he is a very borderline great coach. Someone on The Fan (Zeise?) put him in a category with Mike McCarthy and Pete Carroll. I think that's fair. I have often wondered if he would have been fired because of the playoff failures had he coached for organizations with less than patient owners. I think he would have been at least once over his 17-year career as a head coach. Either way, it's been a bittersweet tenure at times. I'm at the point where I think a change in both personnel and philosophy is needed. Still, I hate to see the guy walk without one more legit championship run. Despite my anger at him at times, I have much respect for him as both a coach and a person.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I don't know that the people are unanimous in calling for Tomlin's head. I think it depends on the circle folks are in. I only know 2, of several hundred in my Steelers circle that are calling for him to be gone. Some of y'all throw out numbers based on your circle and apply it to the masses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    The circle I'm speaking of is here. I was referring to a thread Glenn did. Yes. It was nearly unanimous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hell, depending on what day you ask me, I may be for or against getting rid of him.

9. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    OK, got it but that's a very small sampling and not everyone participates in these polls. We're clear.

10. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I hear ya

11. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    You must be in a rather exclusive circle, because almost everyone in mine wants him out

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s not even accurate about his claim with Trubisky. People were hopeful that it was coaching that was holding him back and also that backing up Allen for a year would have been beneficial for him. Not a single person claimed without a doubt that he would be successful. Well, except maybe Disco.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    No, my group's not exclusive and I'd bet that the members of mine and yours disagree on quite a few things.

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Sure seemed to me that most people did not like the Trubisky signing.

15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Studies also show that people tend to revise stories with each re-telling, often massaging facts to fit a narrative they're wanting to tell.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I think that's one thing where all of our circles were close to unanimous about, even Bears fans warned us about him after the signing

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Extension has usually come in July I believe

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    initially most were ok with it

there is only one here who we all know was not

19. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022

@jeh1856
    can you help us out?

20. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    @jeh1856 can you help us out?

21. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I think some Steelers fans were so desperate for a QB, they would've even been ok with bringing Bubby Brister back :lolol:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Why are we tagging @jeh1856 ? Is he Mitchell's great grandfather?

23. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    he's good at finding post
    pns

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Different set of circumstances tho. You can't hire an OC if there's no commitment to the current HC.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s a good point. If Tomlin does decide to walk away, Rooney and the FO would need to act fairly quickly n the HC hire and it would probably need to be an offensive minded head coach given that the top OC talent may be off the board at that time. I think we’re fine at DC and we could live with giving Austin another year. Of course, that would partially depend on what the next HC may want and whether or not he has his own guy in mind for that role.