1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett QB#1 Roll Call

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TGH, Jan 8, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've been saying this. Sometimes You have to take a dang Hit for a big play. It's part of being a freaking Qb.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think we need to test that theory against a good defense, which we will see this weekend. Rudolph's first two starts came against awful defenses. The Bengals have been horrible all season, but they were even worse by the time the Steelers played them the second time. The loss of their best inside run defender, Reader, put pressure on everyone else. That helped create the one-on-one matchups for Pickens.

I think it's a bit much to put all of the improvement by the line on quarterback play while ignoring the weakness of the Bengals and Seahawks.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's the odd thing. He did that in college and he did it in his first few games as a pro. He has done it at times this season, but not nearly often enough.

4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Buffalo is not even a great defence. Good, but not great. Seahawks D is not great but they do have some good linebackers including 9 time pro bowler Bobby Wagner. Steelers have the momentum and the underdog moniker coming into this game and I expect them to be ready to play in a big way. Not all improvement of the Oline is because of MR, that much we agree but there is a difference in this team.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They have a very good pass rush though, 4th in sacks with 54. Not one of Rudolphs strengths.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Sir it is good to see you have dropped your support for starting Pickett and this original post

It takes a strong man to admit having made such a mistake

Bravo for you

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Have you seen Kenny against the blitz?:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Is that you Kenny , maybe you should be practicing just in case.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    That would indeed make a difference but I am less worried about Mason then if we had Kenny QBing with a good pass rush. I like the Steelers turnover differential of 11 .

10. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Pickett has not shown any good ability or upside to be in the running for Steelers starting QB next season.

You keep claiming Pickett has done something over the last 24 games to justify him being the starting QB next year. Your memory is massively faulty.

The one game where Pickett did "good", was against the garbage Cinci defense and Pickett scored a whopping 16 points. That's just bad.

On top of bad play, Pickett isn't even durable and able to stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    This is a concern

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023
    Why is it so important for some people to act like idiots and insult Kenny Pickett every chance they get?

What does that really get you in life?

I mean seriously...what has Kenny Pickett done to some of you to attack him in every thread and try to troll fans who like Kenny and hope he turns into a great quarterback?

It doesn't make any sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Because they aren’t acting :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    True. Rudolph is not very good at rushing the passer. :smiley1::drinks:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep, some of the Kenny hate is definitely overboard. I’ve gone through seasons with Kenny. I was very excited when we drafted him and really thought we had something in him. Then last season I saw 4th quarter flashes even though in the majority of games Kenny’s performance left much to be desired. At the time, I really thought that had much more to do with Canada than Kenny. But he ended the season overall on a high note last year so I think most of us felt pretty good about Kenny heading into this season. And then when he balled out in the preseason I was super stoked about his potential going into this season. Then reality set in pretty quickly when the Steelers got blown out the first game and Kenny and the offense looked awful. And even though we won a few games after that our offense continued to struggle mightily and Kenny looked very average at best. He looked scared. I’m not sure what happened to him, but he turned very skittish in the pocket, had no pocket awareness often spinning into pressure instead of maneuvering away from it. Maybe he thought since it worked in Baltimore last year that would be his signature move? At any rate, he’s looked very mediocre this season and his TD to attempts ratio has been historically bad.

As I’ve watched him closer throughout the season, including some all 22 footage, I’ve come to the conclusion that Kenny is just not very good right now. He misses reads, locks in on his primary target, seems oblivious to open receivers downfield as if he’s not even looking downfield, he’s too quick to check down without going through the proper progressions. There are a lot of flaws in his game right now. Maybe a competent OC can coach him up but I have serious reservations about his abilities right now. I used to roll my eyes when I’d hear that he has a high floor but a low ceiling but it appears at this moment that that analysis may be spot on.

Kenny didn’t help his standing with me either when he acted downright prickish when asked about whether or not he was learning anything from the sidelines and his response was a curt “NO!”. What??!! You’re not Terry Bradshaw or Ben Roethlisberger, Kenny. You are a very unproven and inexperienced quarterback who still has EVERYTHING to learn! You should be learning from the sidelines, in the film room, on the field. Shoot, you should be learning when you’re sitting on the toilet for crying out loud! And then when he came out a few days later and said that he would have been starting the Seattle game if the coaches and trainers had deemed him healthy enough to start…hogwash! As if you had firmly entrenched yourself as the unquestioned starter? Come on, Kenny. You were very close to being benched after another sub-par performance against Cleveland a few weeks ago. You need to swallow your pride and put your ego aside, young man, and learn a little something about leadership in the NFL. Sometimes you have to learn to be humble, supportive and keep working at your trade in order to get to that next level in your growth. Kind of like another QB on the roster right now. Watch and learn.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to at least clarify my thoughts on Kenny at this moment. I don’t hate Kenny at all and I hope he can be successful under a different OC’s tutelage. But he has a long way to go and he acts at times as if he’s arrived. I think Tomlin has played into that as well. I really hope Mason re-signs with the Steelers and is given the opportunity to compete with Kenny for QB1 next year. If he signs elsewhere, I hope we bring in, either through free agency or the draft, a quarterback to compete for the starting job. If Kenny wins it, he will have earned it and he and the Steelers organization will be better off. He cannot, however, go into next season as the presumptive starter with the mentality that it’s his job to lose when he hasn’t done anything substantial to win the job at this point.

16. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I understand people doubting his ability on the field. I do. I watch the tape on his performances and I have commented on that. I see promise in a young man that was playing in a horrible offense, being horribly coached, and the players around him not playing well and some not playing hard. That's a near impossible situation for an inexperienced quarterback.

What I don't understand is how they have turned to personal insults, questioning his integrity, and name calling.

I have believed that Pickett has a higher ceiling than Rudolph and I would like to see him get there. But once Tomlin named Rudolph as starting, I'm completely behind him and hoping he plays great from here on out. I know players get better with more seasoning and if they continue to work on their game. Rudolph is showing that now.

Now you can't say that Rudolph was inaccurate with a pass or that he doesn't move well in the pocket. How dare you even mention when he throws a ball that should have been intercepted. It's as if you are talking about their mothers. These are the same people that were screaming that Pickett sucked ass if he threw a pass a little behind a wide receiver, but now there can't even be real criticism of his game. It's beyond ridiculous.

I don't trash quarterbacks. Especially young quarterbacks. I have never played anywhere near that level, but I know how difficult it is to play the position. What they are doing is incredibly hard and they need all the support they can get. Getting attacked by so-called fans just because people think they aren't good at their jobs is just so lame and disappointing.

Thanks for the response. I will root hard for whoever is behind center on my team and for professional success on the field and personal success off of it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I have never seen a poster be more wrong

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Pretty sure you could dig up thousands of post that turned out wrong especially since Ben R. retired.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    skittles-nathan-barnatt.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure including some of my own

But not with this much enthusiasm for being way wrong

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do one about the T. Edmunds isn't that bad next. LoL. Is he even on a team right now.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Scribble was the only person I remember thinking he wasn’t bad

I’m not quoting Scribble

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No there was quite a few that thought He was good. @Formerscribe hated him

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member