1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason F Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Jan 6, 2024.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think we got a bit excited seeing a QB actually complete passes, gain yardage, and score points. You're completely right that the bar has lowered. We've averaged 16.7 PPG in games started by Kenny Pickett the last two years... The bar is VERY low for a reason. We go out and drop 30+ a couple times, and it feels like the mid 2010's all over again lol

I think Mason has played really well. Great for what was expected. I also agree that he hasn't put together a truly "great" game yet, but that's okay. I'll settle for another really good one this weekend en route to a win in Buffalo tho :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Ravens double covered Pickens and Diontae took it to the house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s purely speculative. To say Pickett could not have won those games after what he showed before getting hurt, you don’t know that. Certainly the first two games, the Ravens game in that weather, I don’t know if he wins that game, those were the kind of games I was worried about when they drafted him.

I don’t know why it is so important to you all that Scribe and I hop on the Rudy train and that wanting to take a wait and see approach is so terrible. I need to see that he has worked past his flaws before I buy in.

One major area he has improved is those 15 yard passes, he’s looked really good with those. The two crossing routes that DJ and Pickens took to the house were great. He’s even hitting his out passes.

His footwork and pocket awareness was his other fatal flaw, sadly I dont think that one has been corrected. Not with what I saw against the Ravens. Some QBs handle it better than others. And I’m not talking about relentless pressure like what Mahomes faced against the Eagles in the SB, no one can survive that although Mahomes nearly did, he was making super natural throws but his receivers were letting him down. But Rudolph has played very poorly when faced with a pass rush, very poorly. If he’s moved past that, they’ll have something in him. Big game this week.

4. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    You failed to address my criticism of Kenny’s play which has led to him being the lowest rated passer in terms of TD percentage per pass in nfl history. Canada’s time at Pitt is ‘obviously’ relevant to Tomlin who mentioned that fact in a decision to hire him in one interview. Mason gives me a bit of hope that Steeler football is watchable again. I have no idea how he will do in Buffalo but there is hope he might do well and Steelers may win. No such hope if KP was qb.

Rudolph replacing KP has similar sense of relief when Maddox replaced Kordell and average to good quarterback play looked exquisite. Perhaps Mason’s qb looks great because I am comparing it to KP which has been horrible in terms of offensive production. You had your receivers ready to mutiny, defense just gave up at Indy, Cowher saying this is not Steeler football etc etc.

5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    The reason why Bengals single covered Pickens is extremely obvious: because up until that pass, the Steelers passing game sucked so much that no defense was even thinking steelers can pass. So no defense was bothering to double any WRs.

All of that changed when Rudolph (not Pickett) hit that pass for 80+ yard TD, and then kept hitting long passes. Now, defenses have to respect the Steelers passing game.

It was not a matter of Bengals being dumb, it was a matter of Bengals reviewing tape of Steeler passing up until that game and expecting the suckfest to continue.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    An 80+ yard TD pass is an 80+ yard TD pass.

What about the 70+ yard TD pass to DJ against the Ravens D?

Rudolph has now two slants that have gone the distance. One for 80+ yards, one for 70+ yards. That's only in 3 games of play.

On a suck-o-meter scale, Trub is at the top, followed closely by Pickett (his clone), and then some gap to Rudolph.

7. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Saying Pickett loses those games is as much speculation as saying Pickett wins those games - no one knows.

However, if a non-biased person looks at all 24 games Pickett has played in, then it's much more of a speculation to say he wins those games.

I certainly don't think Pickett would have ever hit Pickens and DJ for 80+ and 70+ yard TDs.

8. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    I think win against the Bills will take some doing. Josh Allen is a better qb than Rudolph with more tools. He is Ben and Rudolph is more like Carson Palmer. Our defense will have to step up. Bills cannot be scoring every possession and we cannot fall behind where Bills can discount our running game and we have to match their score with ours. They will most likely win in a shootout. Turnovers and containing Josh Allen on third down will be key along with success of our running game.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pickett hit Austin and Pickens for long TDs earlier this season.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Does that mean he hits these long ass TDs against Bengals and Ravens? Extremely unlikely.

Look at my signature for some cool Pickett stats.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickens has been covered like that plenty this season. They also had him running some of the dumbest routes for a receiver of his talents. You’re projecting your disdain for Pickett onto teams that played against him. The fact is Canada wanted to move the ball down the field with little bites of yardage at a time, most of the routes ran offered no chance of YAC. It was a terrible system that everyone that knows the game mocked. Had nothing to do with Pickett, his tape is littered with deep throws, thats a nonsense narrative that he can’t. But I completely agree Rudolph is better at it.

Exactly, that was my point. Jack made a definitive statement that they aren’t in the playoffs without Rudolph.

Dude, Scribe and myself are the only ones looking at this objectively, all the bias is coming from the other side. You want to harp on Picketts bad tape while forgiving Rudolph for all of his bad tape prior to this 3 game stretch. That’s totally being biased. Picketts best game coming after Canada was fired is telling.

This isn’t about whos better between Rudolph and Pickett though, both Scribe and myself have acknowledge Pickett might not be the guy either. This is about not sizing Rudolph up for a gold jacket after three games and still needing to prove he has worked past his flaws.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Is there anybody who thinks Kenny should start Sunday

Is there anybody who thinks Kenny should be handed number 1 next season without real competition

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Bengals were trying to avoid a repeat of Freiermuth beating them like a drum on intermediate routes in the middle of the field. They picked their poison and got poisoned.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    This has turned into quite the KFP vs. MFR debate. For me it’s simple. Rudolph is playing the best ball I’ve ever seen him play. It’s also the longest stretch of competent QB play we’ve had in a while. I’m not expecting it to continue into the postseason, but I’m going to savor whatever he can give us. If Rudolph plays well in the playoffs and we actually win a game or two with him making plays, it may change my view of what he can be to the team beyond this year.

As for Pickett, he’s clearly not Mr. Right Now for the Steelers. At minimum we need to have other potential starters competing with him heading into next season. I wouldn’t be opposed to taking a QB at any point in the draft if the right guy is available.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    good point. buffalo has the 4th best pass rush in the NFL so if, and when, Mason holds the ball too long we might see some more fumbles. A couple of mason turnovers and it might be over early.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with everything but the draft pick

If there is somebody good at number one ok go for it

If you are taking a guy at 3-4 just to be a backup take a position of need

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

in gale force winds and 1 -2 inches of rain.

cannot use that game as any measure of passing prowess....

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    true - TO's in playoff games ALWAYS magnified.

maybe ALLEN will cough it up - he is a TO machine

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually you kind of have to give some kudos to Mason for what he did accomplish in the rain and wind

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    There are allegedly a couple of posters here partaking medically and recreationally and even they are not starting KSP

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This question reeks of conformity, why are people asking this? How dare anyone think differently than I!

I’ll go with the opposite just to push back on that nonsense. Hate that stuff, see it on social media all the time, browbeating people into agreeing with the masses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I posted this in the bathroom

It’s not conformity it reeks of

Just clarifying

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i understand - i think he is just teasing (maybe?)

i am, to an extent. hard to see debate from hyperbole from other stuff just when typing.

no intent to browbeat or shame, on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t see our QB need in the draft as a backup need. I see the need for a legit competitor for Pickett and anyone else we keep/sign.

25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This sums up most of the consensus of the sane.
    Mason, after not even suiting up in 2022, no one wanting him in Free Agency, is as you said "Playing the best ball I've ever seen him play." (not counting college.)
    It seems to be a no brainer, stick with the hot hand.