1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin could walk away from the Steelers and take some time off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Im done… ill help my wife in this business, but im not punching a clock no more.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Exactly. This is pure speculation with absolutely nothing to back it up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think last years draft was fantastic, Omar and staff did a good job in that process. It is the development (in the past decade) and whiffs in other drafts that have lacked the progress in the team. That all cannot be contributed to MT, but the coach's he hires and maintains can be. I look at the Rams this year, yes having a QB is immense, but they did not get Puca Nacua until the 5th round. It was not that they knew this kid would set new records as a rookie, nor was it just luck. If they knew he was going to be THAt good, you dont sit hoping no one else will grab him, lol. Opportunity, coaching, scheme...we are lacking.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You're wasting Your time. I've tried explaining this until I'm blue in the face. They believe what they want to believe, and dang the facts that are represented all across the NFL. It's the way of the world now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Apparently we are Tomlin haters, all we want is a playoff win!

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean the Rams,and S. McVay that Tomlin owns???

7. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    My man, hats off to coach T for making playoffs this year with all the injuries team has, look i gave credit to coach T. Hats off for 17 years of not having a losing season, more credit to coach T.
    But… you do know its been 7 seasons without a playoff win? Hopefully that ends Sunday. Me as a lifelong Steelers fan, that sucks. I understand everyone loves coach T, but isn’t coaching about winning a playoff game or 2, im not even mentioning a Superbowl , coz that is very difficult for any coach.
    All this being said, coach T done good, but you got to see it’s getting stale. And coach T has to take responsibility for losing as much as he gets credit for winning.

8. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I only know Cowher.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do give Him credit for both. What I don't do is blame Him for what is not in His control. Like a $hit load do on here. Big difference. You see on game day thread when I seriously disagree with what He does. I don blame the man for hiring Canada, or bringing in Trubisky. For every link with Tomlin, and Canada....our Owner Rooney has a link also. I will repeat until I'm blue in the face.....no Owner, and GM goes , and spends FA money on a Qb, and then spends 1st round picks, and 1st round money on another Qb, and just allows the HC to say........yeah....You guys f**ked up.....I'm not playing them....I'm going with the Qb we already had on the team. LoL. Come on. You know business don't work like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Did you watch pregame before Ravens game? They interviewed coach T , coach T said a lot of final decisions come through him. I agree to an extent about GM and owner, but do you seriously think when they pick up a FA or draft a player they do it without input of the HC?
    Most of your owners do this, owners of course are the wallets but they need input. Whats the best place to get input? Your HC, so i dont agree that its not Tomlins fault, and it cant be all be put on owner and Gm. I put the blame on the bad decisions on all 3 and whoever else is in the room agreeing to it. Does this make sense? And no im not a Tomlin hater

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah they get input. Thats it. Your bosses in your life never asked for input, and then did what they wanted???. Here is really really really simple. If the GMs, and owners don't do most of the decisions about who is brought in, and hired, and fired.....then explain to Me why Bill Belichick, and other HC/Gms....won't have it any other way, and also tell Me why Bill Cowher wanted the GM fired ,or he would leave....I mean why would He do that if what ever he said the GMs just had to do???? Because the GM was doing, and bringing in players that Cowher didn't want. So unless You somehow believe Mike Tomlin is way way more powerful than Bill Cowher was....how does that make sense.

12. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    So, your telling me, Gms and owners are making all the calls on their own? Totally disregarding the HC of a team they are paying millions of dollars to coach the forementioned players that Owner and GM wanted? Maybe that is why we havent won a playoff game in 7 years?
    Btw… when Steelers drafted Kenny, did you see how happy Tomlin was on the phone with Kenny?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Iron Nickel

Iron Nickel Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    I read the chicken bones from my wings today at the local watering hole after a handful of tall ones and they really spoke to me on this subject. Problem is they spoke through my bowels so I couldn't understand what they were saying.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So He should have said....Hey yeah Kenny......yah...I really didn't want You, but since You were drafted...I guess I'd take You?? It was everywhere that Tomlin was in love with Malik Willis....yet KFP was drafted....Hmm....almost a Rooney way at trying not do do another Dan Marino???:shrug: LoL.
    Why aren't You answering My Questions???
    If The GMs didn't have more power than our HCs in bringing in players, and stuff....Why did Cowher threaten to leave if they didn't change GMs???
    Why Do some coaches insist on Being the HC/GM??? Bill Parcels GM/HC said ....if He was made to cook...shouldn't He be allowed to by the groceries, or something to that affect....that's why He insisted on being HC/GM....now why would he say that....if the HC can just pick what they want??? Think about these questions??? Don't be like others, and just think what you want , and facts don't matter. Here's more Bruce Arians was Tomlins buddy....Tomlin told Him He would still be here with a job. He was let go, and a guy Tomlin had no ties to T. Haley was hired. Ben, Bruce Arians, and Bruce Arians wife all said this was true. Does that sound like a HC that gets whatever OCs he wants??? No bias....really think about this.

15. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    I'll probably regret posting this but I'll ask anyway.

When Tomlin is done here, how 'patient' will you all be if a new coach comes in and starts slow, goes 5-12 his first, and maybe second year while he tries to build 'his' vision? Would you be OK giving him 3+ years or want him replaced right away?

The fear of going through coaches every few years trying to find the right combo scares the crap out of me. I spent my first 30 years around the Giants and Jets growing up in NJ, even dated and lived with a Jets fan in the 90's (that was special). Outside of Parcells, between the two teams, it was ugly. Now living in South Florida for the last 23 years around the Dolphins? Need I say more? They aren't calling for McDaniel's head yet but most Dolphins fans I know want Tua gone last year. His last INT last night was bad but did anyone notice the intended target on that play was Claypool? LOL.

I'm not a Tomlin fanboy by any means and part of me is ready for him to move on, but the likelihood he is replaced by another long-lasting, successful coach is probably not that high. If he signs with the Steelers for more years, that pessimist part of me would be mad, but I can live with it if they make other changes such as bringing in a true OC and letting them drive the offense.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Ok, ill answer your question , if Tomlin didnt want so called players than why didnt he do what Cowher did?

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How did You know He didn't, or something close, but behind doors. We do Have a new GM this year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Btw… Tomlin wanted Kenny.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He may, but every single person said M. Willis was His guy.

20. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Guess what? I do think Kahn is off to a good start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    That was true my friend, but u know how the internet is. I was surprised they passed on Willis, suprised but not disappointed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I admit, i really thought T wanted him. Hell hate to say this, but after 24 games of Kenny might not have been a bad choice.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner. I read somewhere, but I don't know how factual it was...that Tomlin wanted M. Willis, but wanted someone else in the 1st, and Willis in the 2nd. :shrug:
    I'm going looking for it now.

24. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I think the GM works with the Head Coach to get the players they agree on and the GM probably has the final say if Rooney is hands off. I also think Tomlin can pick his coaches but the GM likely has to approve. I don't think its the other way around. Having said that if there is bad performance the Owner/GM may force the change like they did with Noll. Nobody is really saying just cut a player and take a big cap hit, that's GM territory but I truly believe in Tomlins case he has the say on who starts. If he determines Mitch or KP suck and dont deserve to start I doubt OUR owner or GM would force his hand. With that Tomlin owns the result. Would there be an issue if he makes that decision without any actually evidence to make that decision but I don't think he would do that. No way I believe the Steelers went and got Mitch without Tomlin's buy in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Did you see how happy Franco was when he announced the pick? Shoot, I was happy when we picked him as were a lot of Steeler fans. Not giving up on him completely yet but to say I’m disappointed in his career trajectory so far would be accurate.

• Agree Agree x 2