1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason F Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Well I appreciate you're attempt to detail... but I just took his games off ESPN... game logs.
    That's what I am interested in... I might have said 'starts' but I just mentioned games.
    Thanks, :)

Damn enter.....
    Meant to say: "I get all my 4-1-1 from S.T.D." as the closer... then smiley face.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Troy Aikman, P. Manning, and many many many Qb are not so called mobile. 90% of time mobile Qb means....I will take off running before the routes have been run. I've been thinking about it last night, and Mason's game reminds Me a lot of T. Aikman.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well then You are adding games like the Colts game where he didn't come in until the last 2 mins, and the game was already 13-30. How fair is that??? Sorry Mason that 13-30 loss is now on You...even though You only played the last 2 minutes of the game. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

ophhhhhh - say it ain't so!!!! we can only HOPE and HOPE we can ink him (if you are correct)

I need to see a good bit more evidence before i come to that conclusion, but of the 3 on the roster, he gives us our best shot at running this offense to SCORE POINTS

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Mason got replaced because he had a dreadful game against Cincinnati in 2019 where he threw 4 interceptions. This was the game after the game where he got called a racist and hit in the head after he had been completely knocked out a few games earlier. Duck had become a fan favorite with his goofy stories. He was actually decent with accuracy till teams figured out he had no arm strength and figured how to defend him. Rudolph had 90% completion rate in pouring rain and threw a 76 yard touchdown on a great throw. He would have another long bomb if Diontae hadn't slowed. He had a 115 plus QB rating That's pretty good. Teams have to respect his deep ball that and this opens the running game. Mason actually made James Washington a decent receiver in college. Washington is out of football now. I think it was Pitt's Fred Belitnikof Award winner WR that made Pickett. My opinion. The Stats back me up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Those were the 'timing route' days....

I am conflicted when watching Mason.
    They way he lines up, reminds me a lot of Ben, directing and pointing etc...
    His throwing motion sort of reminds me of Ben too... maybe someone else..
    He does like the longer throws.
    His pocket presence reminds me a of Dick Clark.. in other words, not much of one. Fix that and maybe we have something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

to the clown show, I guess - i guess that is fair! LOL!

8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

He got beat up and benched for a guy named Duck. (I was there)
    What year was Duck inducted?

Now you're getting into my bread and butter, Mason as a college QB. I was pretty high on him.... he was a mad bomber.
    I knew Ben did not like that pick but if you're like me, we knew Ben's days were coming to an end. A QB like Mason would be nice to have in the wings.
    I had super high expectations that Mason would step in and we would not skip a beat. Fixed at QB for another decade.

I had some dealing with Rivals.com back then.. so I got a lot good material.. I've still got all my badges from the NFL meetings they sent me to, somewhere here..

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not deflecting anything, fanboy. The Steelers also ran for 197 yards against the Seahawks and Rudolph didn't throw any touchdown passes in that game.

Funny how you like to make excuses for points they don't get when Rudolph is on the field, but you want to ignore those things when Pickett was playing.

Rudolph didn't just have one dreadful game in 2019. He threw four interceptions and gave the Steelers no chance to win against the Browns, then played poorly against the Bengals, too. That is when they yanked him. Also, those weren't right after his concussion. He was knocked out of the game against the Ravens Oct. 6. The stinker against the Browns was over a month later, Nov. 14.

Plenty of quarterbacks outplayed Goff in 2021. Goff actually faced a pass rush that day. Rudolph wasn't sacked once because the Lions were a joke.

Rudolph had elite production from a receiver in college, too. So have many guys who put up numbers in college. Joe Burrow had two NFL first-round picks at receiver for his big year at LSU. I guess that was all them and he had nothing to do with it.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    I can see where you see the resemblance. Troy had a great deep ball, (and I remember him killing Steelers on that to Alvin Harper in the Super Bowl). Mason has a great deep ball. Troy was 6ft 4, Mason is an inch taller. Both have good arm strength. Troy had a terrible first year but Dallas stuck with him. Mason never got that luxury.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Aikman was mobile. He actually ran quite a bit in college. He chose to be more of a pocket passer as a pro.

Any other Hall of Famers you'd like to compare the guy to after three good games? LOL

I'm aware of your overwhelming bias against mobile quarterbacks. No wonder you like a guy usually stands back there like a statue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    He got hit on the head with helmet in the browns game. That after having been knocked out in Ravens game. He shouldn't have been playing. There's a valid reason for his terrible performance. Then he became victim of false racist accusations that became national news. Of course his head wasn't in the game at this point. I read in a column that he threw 4 interceptions in Cincinnati game but it was the Browns, but that's neither here or there as we both agree he played terrible in both game with valid reasons.. Those are the only two games where he was terrible and there was a good reason for both of them. He never got a fair chance after that. He's making the most of the chance now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That horrid performance against the Browns was before he was hit in the head, and he clearly wasn't injured by Garrett's assault. How is it an excuse for his poor play if it happened after he played poorly. Sorry, he was fine for three games, then the post-concussion symptoms kicked in. Please give us all a break.

It's not neither here nor there. You had your facts wrong, which makes it difficult to take what you post seriously.

He wasn't good for over five years. I'm sorry you can't just acknowledge that.

14. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    he has, he’s not afraid to put his head down and take a hit to get a first, unlike our other more mobile backup QB.

And he’s bigger and more durable than our starter

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this - much concern about this overall and in general

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    I'm guessing its hard to show awareness to a whiff block by your LT on blindside.

I hope Mason goes to the Pats and takes them to the playoffs. All you darn fools. This QB is THE reason Steelers made the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    you are correct - we are home if not for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    I am just reading on blogs what happened, so I went ahead and looked at stats. It's even more unfair to Mason then what I thought. He only had game and a half of bad outing before he was taken off. Take off the 1.5 games away and he has a quarterback rating in mid nineties. Browns game with that ugly incident and half of next game against Cincinnati. Heck, Ben has had pretty bad games too. Take Mason out of it. Pickett has 24 games of historically bad scoring offense. Mason has bought life into Steeler offense. It looks like that game and a half on bad play was an anomaly. Pickett is just a back up at best...The only argument is whether Steelers want to waste another season to find that out

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So KP got Canada fired? Please tell me that was sarcasm.

20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Some 'special' logic there, given that 30 team clamored immediately for Matt, oh wait.......

• Like Like x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It blows my mind how far the steelers have declined with QB play that we've got multiple threads of multiple pages debating which of the 3 QBs on the roster is less sucky than the other 2.

I still see 3 backups on the roster and no legit NFL starting caliber QBs.

22. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    KP's poor play was blamed on Canada. Canada had the highest scoring offense when he was at Pitt. So was bad offense due to Canada or Pickett. Now people tell me that Canada's offense was unimaginative, but I saw open receivers running around. Problem was Pickett was not going through progressions, or choosing to throw to a covered receiver, or leaving the pocket early to throw an incomplete to a receiver on the sidelines. My opinion is that if Mason was the QB, Canada would still have a job. They are still running Canada's offense for most part except tweaked for the QB. Change of coach didn't seem to help Trubisky who actually regressed under the two new coaches.

23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I'm not quite in the same boat with you, but you are a straight shooter.
    Mitch is worthless.

Mason is not elite by any stretch of the imagination. I think they were forced to get him back as they saw Mitch was not good at all, even in camp.
    Ideally, they would have liked a decent QB coming to the end of his career and have Kenny sit for a year, maybe two.
    That didn't pan out.

Also, I would like to see a good OC.

But I totally get your view. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Do you watch pregame shows or any of the analysis shows?
    Almost all of them made jokes about Canada's offense.
    I can also say that I have stood within feet of a DC or HC that said things like 'their offense is predictable' or worse things.
    You might have also heard the game analyst mention that Faulkner and Sullivan have modified those plays to work better and trash plays that didn't work at all.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope

Based on his response he believes it

• Like Like x 1