1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason F Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Lucky for him, the first two opponents they faced didn't rush the passer worth a damn.

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is two years into his career. Rudolph was getting benched for Duck Hodges around the same time in his career.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't about taking off and running. It is about pocket presence. It is about feeling the pass rush and avoiding it, even if it is just taking a step or two up, back, or to the side to buy a little extra time or enough space to step into a throw. That is where he has always struggled and some of that showed up again Saturday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    We have all discussed this to death the reason for that.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is in year six, not entering year six, and it is still just three games, two against horrible defenses and one against an opponent whose primary goal was to avoid injuries.

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it was a MONSOON Saturday. a duck would have struggled Saturday

MVP Lamar, Pat Mahomes, Tua, anyone would have had probs there.

He is improving / improved from Yrs 1 and 2, that is for sure.

and as far a taking of running, RUN MASON, RUN! Use your big body some this weekend vs. BUFF - break their backs!

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The reason for that was he played poorly. The rest is just fanboys making excuses.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The monsoon isn't why he held the ball too long, something he has done every time the Steelers have given him the opportunity to start. Overall, he handled the weather well, but it was the first time he faced any consistent pressure from an opposing defense and it led to two fumbles in one possession.

9. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I’ll give him a bit of a pass in the pouring rain, in the bengals game he was moving in the pocket. Hes got awareness, not the best, but he’s moving his feet. His reads are better that’s for sure, better than before and probably better than KP’s. KP was afraid to step up into the pocket so I can see why they prefer MR

10. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    how come Kenny was not pulled after three bad games? And another three bad games , and another?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    TGH, please work on your use of the quote function. No, my take is not wrong. He hasn't faced much pass rush pressure since taking over for Trubisky. When he did, it led to him fumbling away a drive against the Ravens. Given that not showing enough awareness of the pass rushers around him was a problem in 2019, seeing that pop up again is a concern. I'm sorry you can't stop genuflecting before him long enough to see that.

13. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    It was raining like in a monsoon. Frankly, I have never even Ben play well in this kind of rain.
    Kenny even got a coach fired...thinking that it was the coach and not Kenny. Trubisky actually played worse under the new coaches. Perhaps its not the coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They were winning and he wasn't turning the ball over, which was the primary thing they asked of him.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    LOL Now you are so desperate to make your case that you are defending Matt Canada. Laughable.

The poor job Canada did with Pickett is part of the reason he was fired. I'm sorry you didn't realize that.

Also, he didn't protect the ball in the pocket. That is why he fumbled. It was an issue with Rudolph earlier in his career, too. He is six years in and that is still a problem.

16. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    I don't actually have to do anything to back up my claim. The statistics do it for me. The fact that after 24 games in the nfl (which is a lot), your boy has the lowest TD to pass ratio of any NFL QB that has played the game (500 passes minimum). I think Mason is the best QB on the team. Is he a journeyman or a franchise QB, I don't know...we will find out more this Sunday, but he has exceeded my expectations so far. I don't think there is a free agent QB out there with better potential than him. I saw Justin Field play Green Bay last night and he was missing simple outs. I rather have Kenny than Fields.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you understand the difference between six years and two? Apparently, you do not.

That Rudolph wasn't even good enough to hold on to the job his in 2019 when it was handed to him is not a good thing.

Yes, he exceeded expectations against two of the worst defenses in the NFL, throwing exactly two touchdown passes total in those games, and had a solid game in terrible weather against a team that sat three of its top four players and cared primarily about avoiding injuries. Don't get me wrong. It has been an impressive stretch, but it's not nearly what you make it out to be.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s run for a couple of first downs hasn’t he

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Any old duck

Or The Duck

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. He is tough, too. Kordell Stewart could run even better, but his pocket presence was terrible. Those aren't exactly the same skills.

21. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    Deflecting again from the fact that winning in NFL is about scoring. Your boy doesnt have the skill set to score. Pittsburgh scored 34 against Cincinnati while your boy could only muster 16 points just a few weeks before. Steelers scored 30 against Seattle and should have had 37 if Najee hadn't taken a knee at the goal line. In the monsoon, They scored 17 and Mason came through with 90% completion. They would have scored more in fourth quarter if they werent intent on running the clock down. Mason really had only one dreadful game against Cincinnati in 2019 and it came right after when he was hit in the head and called a racist. Obviously that would affect any young man. Duck replaced him after that game, because for some reason he had become a fan favorite. He replaced Duck (when Duck got injured)and played decent for someone in their first year of starting, till he got injured against the Jets. He never got another chance until the deluge against Detroit, where he went after one day preparation and outplayed Goff. He has had 11 starts till this year. He had a 102 QB rating before he got hurt in 2019. His QB rating this year is in Stratosphere. Mason in my opinion is a much better QB now than Kenny Pickett will ever be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LOL - either / or!!!!

23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    No comprehension problems here.
    But "Pocket Presence" is more the correct term.
    Those mentioned were of a different era (I'm a huge Dan Fouts fan) and it hardly applies anymore. Sad to say as much as I like Peyton and Brady being the traditional types.
    *Note: Burrows is also traditional pocket guy, though he can move some.
    But those guys have/had tons of smarts, quick releases, natural ability to fend off those modern-day defenses.
    *I wish we had a Don 'Air' Coryell at OC.

As for comprehension problems, I've mentioned quite a lot of times, Mason is a guy I root for.
    But let's be realistic, he got benched for a guy named Duck.
    He didn't play at all in 2022.
    2 of his last 3 games were pretty good.
    The last game was dicey at best, and it was against a defense with a lot of key players in street clothes.
    I certainly would be first in line to sing Mason praises should he play lights out... and hopefully this is understandable, even if we lose.
    *Note: I was the one pondering 'whose grapenuts did he piss on to earn such disrespect? He was easily better than Mitch.'

With me, you lose credibility with the Kenny analysis.
    While I have no issue even telling Kenny Picket to his face, that his level of play must dramatically improve, I also know the offense was a hot mess.
    This is where the lame line of "Matt Canada doesn't play on the field" which holds no water with me as I know what terrible OC's can do.
    The problem is that Kenny threw 4 ints - but ONLY 6 td's. It's the 6 TD's that is the Fugly point.
    6 TD's will not win you ball games, when you are in the redzone, we want TD's not FG's. It's really a simple equation.

In closing, my only interest is having the best QB behind center. (That means Mason starts against the Bills.)
    Get to camp and let them compete.
    I don't care if they go to camp with 4 brand new QB's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

does it matter?

6 and 2 years? WHO CARES!

we want the best players to play, to be on the field.

this childish fan stuff is so silly......

play the BETTER PLAYER.......ALWAYS!

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mason is 8-4-1