1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason F Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    You remember our offense esp at wrs has sucked since AB left.

2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You deserve duo props, hilarious and against the rules emojis. Well done.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You know I meant going back to the first good game! Lol

Using that as the starting point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Mason saved the season.

I don't think there is really a whole lot of looking back. There is a possibility that the Qb question has been put to rest w Mason as starter and QB 1for at least this coming year, if we can win in the playoffs the search might be over.

Kenny is actually a pretty good back up. I don't see him starting over Mason. Just a gut feeling I have. Mason has been behind Ben and Kenny, and can see the difference. I think he senses an opportunity.I think he is playing with confidence. We can beat Kansas city or the Bills with Mason.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we did.

Mason is better at this point, entering Yr. 6, than Kenny is, who will be entering Yr. 3.

I hope "the Brass" is smarter than I think they are.....

6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Responding to OP
    The backup QB is always the best QB.

Masons is 11-8-1 and a Career rating of 86.9 with this season driving that up. He has 19 TDs and 11 ints.
    He has two plays Sunday that could have been total disaster from standing there too long and 1 play where he starred down the receiver and got lucky. He cannot do that in the playoffs.
    He plays like a decent Backup.
    He just isn't mobile at all.

He's the guy to finish the season with, no doubt. I am a fan and hope he plays like Brock Purdy.
    Now, the competition gets for real, and it is single elimination.
    It is not hurting Kenny to sit back on this ride and learn, and the expectations are that when his turn comes, to upgrade that play.
    Mitch was not much of a high-water mark to improve upon.

Mason has probably increased his value a lot, even as a backup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I'm hoping for better scoring in Buffalo from Mason, if he is the starter. He had 0 TDs in SEA, and we scored only 17 at BAL.

9. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    He can, Ben's done that, all QBs do trying to make a play. Mason just needs to score.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    He was great vs Seattle even if he did not had a TD.....Over 10 yards per pass attempts,a huge reason why the steelers had 30 points in this game

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I agree, in his three starts he has been as good as those two overall, which is around top 10 in production.

12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

The problem is, with all this pretty smell in the room, is he good enough to overcome those types of mistakes?
    In the past, he wasn't.
    It's sort like going with Matt Canada after the 2022 season, 'well, he won games down the stretch.'
    That was a disaster.

I expect good things from Mason.
    I'd like nothing more than to see the underdawg win.... Brock Purdy is a hero in my book.

• Like Like x 2
  13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I believe Mason is playing better each week he plays, he may not put up the #s last game but 90 percent completion is very impressive, even if it was mostly short passes, playing in a monsoon.. I don't think KP could have done it

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thank you. People mentioning Ben and Rudolph in the same sentence, come on man. And guess what, Ben wasn’t good enough in many of those games to overcome his turnovers.

They want to win this game, they need to protect Mason like the nuclear football. That’s when he is at his best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why is it so hard for people to understand?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    O’Donnell? Didn’t he play for the cowboys? Kidding, franchise QB? Maybe for a short while when he was playing he might’ve been considered one but looking back I don’t think so

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You are 100% right on needing to protect MR. The OLine has to have its best game of the season. MR is the best deep ball passer on the team and him standing in the pocket while the others would bail out means more opportunity down the field. It also means more opportunity for the defense to get to him. We will see, but historically, he has not had good pocket presence and struggles in a muddy pocket. You can bet the Bills are going to come after him. If the protection is there, the Steelers could surprise a lot of people.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Mason has played in essentially three playoff games so far, must win games, winning time, and he delivered. That's huge, played safe, played aggressive when he felt like it. It turned out winning performance and 110+ QB ratings. I have to feel good about that.
    But in spite of all that, the scoring has gone down each game. We need to score. We'll see how it goes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I agree there.
    I'd also say, 2 of his 3 performances were very nice steps in the right direction.
    Against Baltimore he was mediocre.
    I like the TD pass... it was the right throw.
    But again, he is not mobile at all. (as mentioned, we're going to have to install a dead zone around him.)
    That said, I'd certainly offer him a contract and a chance to compete in camp this year.
    But he might have different ideas.

20. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You know who else wasn't mobile at all, Dan Marino, Tom Brady, Dan Fouts etc. Rudolph is mobile enough as evidence by his run for a first down going head first and not sliding. A qb that is considered mobile quite often takes off without waiting for play to develop. If Mason is just a backup, by the same yardstick, Kenny doesn't belong in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    They would have 37 if Najee hadn't purposely slid to end the game.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Surely you are not comparing Mason Rudolph to Dan Marinio or Dan Fouts? Tom Brady or Peyton Manning?
    Not even in the same universe.

Now you're just showing your hatred for Kenny.
    I like Mason, I like Kenny.. I want the best to win that competition.

23. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    You must have comprehension problems. I said those great QB's weren't that mobile and mobility is overrated for a QB, if you don't have an accurate arm, ability to stretch the field and read defenses. I don't hate Kenny, I just don't think he is nfl calibre. He has to lowest ratio of TD per passes thrown for any nfl QB in nfl history. This is over 24 starts. That is enough of a sample. It's about scoring points. His skill set is deficient for the nfl.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Mason is mobile enough, he’s not Fran Tarkenton, but he can take off and run when he needs to.

to me he’s a backup that has stepped up and is moving the offense and winning us games. Tomlin and the coaches obviously have more faith in him than KP. So if we’re going to compare the two we have to take that into account.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. Six years into his career he still isn't any better about that than he was when he got his first starts in 2019.