1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason F Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Jan 6, 2024.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well Art II best open up the check book. He has played his way into a nice payday and his agent is salivating. There will be a lot of suitors lining up even paying solid back up money. Many starting QB's have gotten injured this season including ours. Without his efforts they are not in this position. And I don't believe he will stay here. He will go to the highest bidder with the chance of competing for the starting spot.

He has shown poise, confidence, leadership. Does anyone think that Mitch even Pickett could have ripped off 3 wins in a row? Saved Popcorns winning season streak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Kenny will get another chance Blast, but even allowing for the bad scheme how many plays have we seen this year where Kenny isn’t seeing wide open receivers or is missing them when he goes to them. Mason is making those plays right now.

Masons early tape was bad, bad pocket presence, bad footwork, bad decisions with the ball, couldn’t read the defence etc. He appears to have improved dramatically in a lot of those areas, albeit it took him a long time.

Kenny may figure things out and improve but can a team with an ageing but still effective Defence and a bunch of young, cheap receivers afford to wait and hope that happens?

I agree that aspects of the scheme are different and the play calling is better but I honestly believe the single biggest factor in their recent success is that they can now hit receivers down the field for big gains. Defences have to account for it and we saw that yesterday.

If Kenny had started yesterday Baltimore would have stacked the box and stuffed the Steelers run game IMO, and they likely lose the game.

I respect your opinion and maybe you are right and Kenny would be having the same success, but I honestly doubt it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes he will. But, he will have competition not just the unquestioned starter.

4. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Agree 100%. Steelers will be on year 3 of Kenny after the draft and still have a lot of questions. I don’t think these vet players are gonna keep their mouths shut either. They wanna win and win now. Not sit while some project QB decides if he can hack it or not.

5. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Happy for Mason and hie Steelers team. Was really worried in the first half when a bunch of marshmallows showed up on the O and D. Conditions were very challenging but we came through. Did anyone else on the forum get tired of watching Lamar spitting shells out of his mouth. The camera person must have loved him.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, even in his good game Kenny still was showing those flaws. I think his biggest issue is he is afraid to sit in the pocket. I call it the Cole Trickle effect.

In regards to Rudolph, I need to see him do it against better competition. We used to have a board member here, another Mod actually, before your time I think, NBSteel, good football mind, shame he doesnt come around anymore. Anyway, he was a huge Rudolph supporter, pimped him hard during the draft and I wanted nothing to do with him, didnt like his game at all, for all the reasons you mentioned. Eventually, NB won me over and I got behind Rudolph and even excited about the pick and then Rudolph proceeded to be everything I was afraid he was. Im not buying all the excuses people are making for him his first time around, it wasnt Garrett, wasnt injuries, it was all there on his college tape and then he played just like it in the pros.

So Im going to be slow to jump on the Rudolph train this time around. His short game has seemed to be his best improvement so far but his willingness to sit in the pocket which has been a plus is going to work against him too as we saw yesterday. Thats the one area he’s not going to be able to improve upon while running the scout team. He’s going to have to prove it to me in real games before I buy in and yesterday wasn’t promising in that regard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I wont disagree, the market and an owner/ GM will decide how valuable they think MR is, he and his agent will put out how much they think he is worth, in the end hr signs.

IDK how much Minshew gets next year, but he lead a pretty mediocre team to a winning record, if he stays this path he could easily achieve what Case Keenum has done, earn somewhere between 45-50 million career bucks in the NFL, I'd happily sit on the sidelines to get that retirement fund, lol.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Wasn’t his mediocre outing vs. the then-winless Lions under Canada?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I believe that too. He made Larry Brown look like a super hero when he was trash. The Raiders take him in free agency because they thought he was good based on that SB performance and then they find out he is trash.

10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Mason F# Rudolph

Music to my ears.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Canada was on the staff then but not yet OC, IIRC.

12. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    2021 Detroit game Canada was the OC that year

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Granted Ben and Rudolph aren’t at nearly the same level, but Ben held the ball forever, especially in his first several years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Bc Mason has class and isn’t going to blame his line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, ok, he was QB coach in 2020 then.

So, Rudolphs only game under Canada and couldnt beat the winless Lions. Got it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    He didn't lose ?

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn’t win either. WINLESS Lions. Worse than losing to two 2-10 teams.

18. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    it was an away game?

Why you hating on Mason so much?
    You trying to get @JackAttack 5958 all riled up?

a tie is always better than a loss.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Best for the Steelers is a QB competition next Summer.
    Probably gonna need them both due to injuries anyway.
    But having Pickett wearing the C makes this all uncomfortable.

Trib odd man out.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s what I live for.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  21. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I hear a lot of people saying that we don't know how good Kenny would have been if he wouldn't have gotten hurt against the Cards. Kenny didn't get hurt until well into the second quarter and we only had 3 points when he did get hurt. So he wasn't exactly lighting up the place. He had the one good game against the Bungles, but his Cards game was not going great. He was 7-10 with 70 yards. I think if MR would have been in there against the cards, we would have had 17 points by then and probably over 140 yards passing. I too wanted MR gone. I didn't want him to be our next Landry Jones. I was super excited when we took Pickett in the first round. After watching KP for two years, I am not convinced he is the guy. After watching MR these last three games, he may not be the guy, but he is our best option to win until we get someone better. What I saw yesterday and the last three games were players seemed excited to play with him and coaches seemed excited to have him. He brought up the play all around him. That leadership is what is needed. George Pickens and Dionate Johnson whole demeanor has changed since he has been playing. As a matter of fact, the whole offenses demeanor has changed since they have gone with MR.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Oh look, 6 pages of the same sh!t that's been talked about the last two weeks. Better start a few more threads.......

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  23. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    If Kenny did what Mason did last 3 games, you would be calling him a future hall of famer.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    You could always scroll along. That option is available.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If Rudolph wants to be here, he deserves an honest shot at being QB1 next year.

People want to place emphasis on KFP's first game against Cincy sans Canada as a true measure of his capabilities. Meantime, they want to downplay what Rudolph did against those same Bengals by saying their defense is bad and so is Seattle's. Can't have it both ways. Doesn't fly.

Pickett had games against bad defenses where he stunk, pure and simple. "Well, he is clutch when he needs to be." He's had some nice come back wins. Great. Anyone ever ponder that if he'd been merely average in three quarters of some of those come back wins, there wouldn't have been a need for fourth quarter heroics?

Some of Rudolph's early flaws he has improved on. He moves around the pocket more deftly. He still needs to work on feeling backside pressure. But he has also improved his footwork and going through his reads. The line Mason has played behind these last three games although not great is still better than the ones he played behind in the past. Especially the ageing unit the year Ben injured his elbow. On average, the lines Pickett has played behind are better throughout his starts than the ones Rudolph played behind earlier in his career. Plus, they had James Conner in 2019. He was hurt for six games and was meh in the ten he did play in other than a big day against Miami. His back-up was Snell, not to be confused in any way shape or form with Jaylen Warren.

Neither QB is without flaws, but I like Rudolph's tangibles better. He's taller and can see the field better. He throws a nice deep pass. And right now, he isn't playing scared. We are still seeing Pickett making the same mistakes he did when he came in against the Jets last year. Missing throws to open receivers or not seeing them at all. Turning his back to the defense and bailing rather than stepping into the pocket. It's obvious at times his play seems to indicate he is scared of injury, particularly getting concussed again. There is no coaching that out of him. He either plays through it or not.

The way I see it, Pickett doesn't deserve to be ordained QB1 next year. No matter who is in the QB room, there needs to be an open competition. Pickett has started a fair number of games as a second-year pro. I'm not rooting against the guy but right now, today, I don't think he has it in him. In my opinion the Steelers need to go into next season as if Pickett might not be the guy. That's not to say Mason Rudolph is, either. But I think he has shown enough in an admittedly small sample size to be afforded the chance to be a day one 2024 starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1