1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DONT go after Justin Fields!!!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Jan 4, 2024.

1. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Just say no to other teams failed QB's. We have to draft and develop our own guys it rarely works taking someone else's QB that a team has given up on. You can pick up other players via free agency that teams cant pay say a DB, OL or RB but no way on QB's. Rarely does it work. Either Mason or Kenny or a new draft pick for a QB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Technically one. The tricky part about a trade for Fields is the decision on his fifth-year option this offseason. If you trade for him and pick it up, he'll cost $22M in 2025. If you decline and he has a good 2024, you're in a bidding competition. Either way, 2025 is going to get expensive unless you decline the option and he's subpar in 2024.

That said, looking at their upcoming extensions the Steelers could probably afford the $22M option year if they wanted to.

• Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. I was thinking this. Everyone blamed the Bears, and their coaches on Trubisky.....yet it's the only place He's looked good.
    0tds, and 1int in Buffalo. 8tds, and 10 ints in Pittsburgh. Has anyone thought that maybe the Bears made Trubisky look good???

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt the Bears has let it be known they will trade Fields, Cousins is in his mid-thirties coming off a serious injury, and he will command 30 million or more hell no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe Nagy wasn’t that bad a coach after all. :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't think He looked good in Chicago. Mediocre at best. 1 good season at UNC and gets drafted 1st round. Seemed like a real stretch at the time and had me scratching my head. Kinda like the KP 1st round draft pick.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s right. $22m for a starting QB is below low level starter money and with the cap continuing to expand it would be easily affordable. The big risk with it is injury of course.

I do think they need to do something bold this offseason to give the offence a shot in the arm. It’d very unlikely that we will see enough improvement from Kenny to stand pat and I very much doubt Mason is the long term answer.

Id be very wary of Cousins coming off a serious injury. Haven’t looked at who else will be on the free agency market but Fields is not as terrible a suggestion as some people are making out IMO.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's amazing how much these drat analysts get paid yet continue to misevaluate players.

Fields is a great athlete but not a great QB. I'll pass on another overpriced Chicago Bear QB throw away.

The 'dual QB' is grossly overrated. Give me a guy that can read a defense, move in the pocket l, and throw in accurately to an athletic football player

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Nothing is more pressing than having crappy QB play. That needs to be figured out in the offseason before anything else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Honestly Mitch and KP are probably a very good comparison except Mitch was taken even that much higher!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    100% but it is not like those guys are readily available, half the league is looking for a QB like that and the other half that has one isn’t giving them up.

I am not sold on Fields either but going in to 2024 still hoping for Kenny to develop would be doing an injustice to the rest of the roster. I just hope they make a meaningful move to get better QB play. If they can get even average play from the QB position I don’t think the rest of the roster is that far away from making up a very good team

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Trade him back to the Bears :lolol:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I don't know if Fields has a choice to where he is traded but Rex Ryan said that Fields would not want to come to the Steelers because he would have to face the Ravens and Browns defenses 4 games a year. He said he would much rather play for the Falcons in the weak NFC South.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    MR is going to go after a desparate team for starting QB money. If he is with the Steelers next year, it will be after a big contract is signed. I am ready to pass on that big risk, moderate reward scenario.

15. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Trading for washed up, formerly great QBs sets back a a team further. IT's a tough call. Maybe re-upping MR at a big overpay is the gamble we have to take, but I shudder that we go into next year with MR the presumed starter and with his BIG cap hit (he aint' settling for a 1 yr deal at $15 million now)

OC is more important than ANY QB we could keep or brin in...focus HARD on that. I hope they don't jus settle for Sullivan or whomever because of a couple of games of above average resuls against so-so teams. Maybe the current OC and play-caller combo IS the answer, but I am skeptical of just a couple of "normal" NFL offense games after a couple of subpar ones after letting Canada go. They'd probably be better than Canada, but thats a low bar.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This a million times over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Did anybody mention Russel Wilson in this thread yet?

18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Get on it. I need an answer.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    much truth here grasshopper!!!!!!!

upload_2024-1-5_16-10-17.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Moats is saying because of Fields play down the stretch he has elevated his stock back to a 1st round pick.

He still has 1 year left on his rookie contract, and then the optional 5th year after that

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I don't agree witht that

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Obviously, salary cap implications are gonna be a big driver.

That aside, Fields passing numbers are comparable to Kenny’s, his career rating is better than Kenny’s. He has more starts and is a year younger. And that doesn’t take into account his rushing numbers.

I’m no big Fields fan, but I’ll ask those who think Fields is a Big No, do you think Kenny isn’t ?

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Pickett wasn't that much of a reach, he was projected to go in the first round, the Bears traded up to get Trubisky imagine drafting that scrub in the top 5 :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Yea Trubisky is definitely worse because of how high he was picked. At least KP was towards the end of the first rd even if he was more a 3rd rd talent.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There was a separate thread on Wilson.

• Like Like x 1