1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DONT go after Justin Fields!!!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Jan 4, 2024.

1. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Just read where we found out what the bears want for fields. Reason to not sign.
    #1. Inaccurate- completion per cent garbage.
    #2. Fragile- always gets hurt.
    #3. Expensive- he will not be on rookie wage soon.
    #4. Not an upgrade from Mason.

Take a hard pass. Hell , Buy Kirk Cousins before that.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Were they thinking of it?

3. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Mmm. I suspect we will be doing nothing about the starting QB position until after next year is over. Probably Mason and Kenny will battle for starter status and doubt anybody else is brought in.

Not calling this opinion a lead pipe lock though.

We have other positions that need addressing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    So, are you going to tell us what "The Bears want for Fields" or Not?

Or, are you going to make me do the work myself? :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    From what I know, this seems to be rumor.
    There are some rules that could be broken and it's not like the Steelers to even approach that sort of thing.
    Not to mention ethics.
    "Hey Justin, we are looking to deal you away and this is the price"
    "Hey Kenny, we are looking to replace you for this price"
    Bad business. Bad Kharma man....

But like the OP, I want no part of Fields.
    Of course, the Steelers might have different ideas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I don't think Fields is going anywhere. He's shown that he can be better if the team put some play makers around him. This has been the problem with Chicago, they get to draft a QB in round 1 but fail to give them something to work with. Rinse and Repeat has not been working for them, maybe they'll see the light.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wouldn't even go for Kirk Cousins at this point ... If we had the #1 defense, and our offensive line was solid, and just needed a competent QB to roll with I would say fine ... but this team has so many holes. Plus, he is coming off a nasty injury.

We need to figure out if Kenny is the guy. I don't know what to make of Rudolph...yes he looks better, but he also played against some bad defenses so far, and the Ravens are resting their guys this week.

You can either let Kenny and Rudolph fight it out in camp, or go and get a top QB in the draft? ... just don't settle for mediocrity. Cousins, Russel Wilson, Fields, Mayfield ... they aren't going to take you to the big dance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Fields has improved a lot over the second half of the season and I think the Bears are going to keep him. They can either trade the first pick and get a boat load of players around him or they can keep the pick and choose Marvin Harrison Jr to give Fields a great weapon to throw to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Marvin Harrison Jr is gonna be the #1 WR in the NFL for a solid decade, he is that good.

They would be stupid not to take him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    DJ Moore has been a great weapon the second half of the season. Harrison Jr. and Moore would be a tough duo to defend. Harrison Jr. makes everyone better - Kmet becomes George Kittle, Herbert becomes a top tier RB if he stays healthy; 5 offensive weapons.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm starting to feel that way to. Not sure what kind of offers Mason will get or if we will match it but if he stays it will be him and Pickett battling in camp. I believe the Steelers will take a QB at some point in the 2024 draft but in a later round. Helps if his name ends in Y. Got to get a Center and Punter!

Now if Mason goes Will the Steelers grab a veteran to back-up Pickett or a higher draft pick to give him a run for his money???????

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    2024 is likely Cam’s last season and TJ will be 30 during the season. They don’t have another year to waste trying to figure out if Kenny will be good enough, and I don’t think a couple of good performances from Mason should change anything either.

Fields has had a very rough start in the NFL, he had a horrid group around him during his first two seasons but he has been better in the latter part of this season and does appear to be figuring things out. Chicago has a genuine dilemma, I don’t think they would be considering moving on from Fields if they hadn’t lucked in to the #1 pick.

I’m not sure how I’d feel about him with the Steelers. He is never going to be an elite drop back passer but he is miles ahead of Kenny Pickett in every department from what we have seen and you’d get another two cheap years from him. I have to say I wouldn’t hate it, depending on what Chicago wants for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, got to try to fill Cam`s shoes. Maybe first pick will be to try to do just that. Need another in the secondary with second pick. O-lineman maybe 3rd.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah makes sense. I mean, we did get the Bears last 1st round pick QB and that has worked out swimmingly! :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. BigBensBigBong

Dec 14, 2014
    But we got Joey Porter Jr for Claypool. May turn out to be top ten trade for the century.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Missing on first round Qb's set teams back several years. Obviously Mitch is gone. Isn't Mason a FA next year? he's probably gone as well. I would expect a new OC to bring in a FA QB that knows the system they want to use. I think we're stuck with Kenny for at least another year.

17. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I have watched Cousins career to his days from Michigan State. He always seem to make a mistake in big games. I would go rather go with Rudolph ( try and sign him)and Pickett another year. We have other needs at ilb, DT and Center that are more pressing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Some chicago 'insider' reporter said the word was they were going to stick with him, now we know how accurate that is lol, but they could get a lot of talent around him by moving off that first pick and getting draft capitol, my issue with him is the turnover ratio. yes on a bad team, but still over 1 to per game (int and fumble) in his starts.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    something interesting I heard on radio today. Would I trade for with Denver for Russell, no, but if they cut him they have to pay that ridicules number, and that number is offset only by the amount his new team pays him. I do not think any team is going to trade with that contract, but if the signing is cheap, then why not.

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It might worth trading a 4th rounder for but nothing more. Ditch Mitch and his salary would be the biggest obstacle but they need to just cut their losses.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought the Bears were smart in the Draft last year by trading away their #1 overall pick. After taking one on the chin in the Claypool trade.. :))

Chicago trades:
    2023 first-round pick (#1)
    Carolina trades:
    2023 first-round pick (#9)
    2023 second-round pick (#61)
    2024 first-round pick (#1)
    2025 second-round pick (#33)
    WR D.J Moore

This years QB class is so much better than last years, the Bears were smart to kick that can down the road for another year. I believe on Sunday it became official that the Bears, thanks to the Carolina Trade. will once again have the #1 Overall pick.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    #1 - Completion percentage doesn't tell anything super compelling. If someone completes 65% but they throw 95% of the time under 15 yards, it isn't impressive.... but if they light up the entirety of the field, then it is. Fields isn't the most accurate guy in the world, but he fares pretty comparably to KFP in terms of accuracy. He throws slightly less on target balls, but slightly less off target balls too.

#2 - This is more of an indictment of his play style. Guys that run more are just going to get hurt more. That is a fact. Unfortunately KFP has been very injured himself. Missing 1 full game last season and 4 full games this season (considering him healthy as of this week). He has also been knocked out of 5 games at some point during the game (2023- AZ, JAX, HOU and 2022 - BAL, TB). He missed the following week only in the Arizona 2023 game and the Baltimore 2022 game.

#3 - meh, that's assuming he would be playing on his 5th year option... He would be more expensive that what is on our roster, but not very expensive for the QB position all things considered.

#4 - I don't necessarily agree with this. I think he is better than all the QB's on our roster, but he might not be a good fit for what we are trying to do on offense. We would have to be willing to invest in an offense that would work with his game stylistically and I am not sure we are on board with that.

I like the idea of Fields, but I think that there are enough question marks in play (future OC, play style, etc.) to pretty much rule it out from being realistic. We certainly need to address the QB position in the offseason and we simply cannot just cut Mitch and sign a different scrub/draft a non-1st round QB. I am fine if Mason is the starter in the interim, but we can go that route IF we take someone like Penix or McCarthy in 2024. Don't rush the rookie and let Mason get a real season starting at QB. I don't think that we will take a QB early, so I'd expect Pickett to "win" a heavily slanted competition in camp and continue to suck into 2024.

The sad reality is that we're gonna roll with Pickett and I think he's shot. I don't think he will ever be an NFL caliber starting QB and have serious doubts as to whether or not he can hack it as a back up long term. I could handle a season with Mason as the starter as a "lets see what we have" maneuver, but we need to have something behind him that we can move forward with if we yank the cord on that at any point of the season (rookie in this scenario). I've seen enough Kenny Pickett football for a lifetime lol

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rumor has it they want a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. I’m still not buying.

24. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Bears will let Fields go and draft Caleb Williams. The most important thing for a team is getting a QB on the rookie contract and having him be good early. Fields is already years into the rookie contract and they will need to pay up soon.

That said, Steelers should stay far away from Fields, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If they’re smart they will take Marvin Harrison Jr and stay with Fields. I’d stay miles away from the Caleb Williams head case. He has unrealistic expectancies from any team that takes him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1