1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Trade Pickett …

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris K, Jan 1, 2024.

1. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Every one keeps saying this, but there are only 4 teams in the league that scored more points against Seattle than we did. The Cowboys, 49ers, Lions, and Ravens. No team scored more against the Bengals than us with Rudolph at the helm. The Ravens equaled our score. Seattle held that same Cardinals team to 10 that came into our Stadium and put 24 on us. They also held the Eagles to 17 and beat them. As far as the Bengals, they beat the Jaguars, Cardinals, Colts, and 49ers. All teams that we could not beat. In all those wins, only one of those teams scored more than 20 and that was the Jaguars so I don't buy into the notion that Mason only put up over 30 points a game because they are two of the worst defenses in the league. They are both not great, but my point is there are very few teams putting up 30 or more against either defense and we are one of the teams. If Pickett or Trubisky had been at the helm, I struggle to believe either of them would have led us to 30 points post Matt Canada.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Ugh...I don't know. Funk him and the Ravens, but Lamar is what makes that train go. From a pure passer standpoint I think his play is overblown, but his other abilities open so much up for that offense.

I'm not immune to contradictory points of view depending on my headspace lol, but I liken this thought to the people saying Big Ben, Purdy even Brady being a product of the system and the rest of the team. I think they were just the perfect players for their respective teams. They shouldn't have shade thrown at them for that. And really don't buy that any plug and play QB could have done what Ben did early on in his career with that Steelers team (Not saying you said that, but it is a prevalent thought amongst media and fans).

• Like Like x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    IF they could mail this one in, they would - the Rats, that is.

they have to play - but they would rather not. Lots of guys will be resting, lots of backups playing.

NOW - those CATS would love to prove something, THAT is for sure - the 2nd stringers. But we ought to be able to go at them.

4. Tweezer

Dec 9, 2020
    Hope you're right. Something about winnable games you know? LOL

5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    That depends, are you going to afford Kenny the same time for growth and maturity? Or is 24 starts versus 12 enough for you to make a determination?

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - but let him sit for 3 years. can he be patient like Mason is / was? appears to me that is what he needs - to SIT, WAIT, learn and develop. He is not very good now.

i want to win.

IF Rudolph delivers NOW, then he is our man

it is not that hard to get on board with that.

I want to WIN and SOON

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    While I do agree, or at least hope that some time watching the game would help Pickett, you and I both know that the team's first round draft pick is not going to sit on the bench for 3 years.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't twist anything. I presented facts about the Chiefs' offense. I also didn't just write about what they did the week before against the Raiders. I included the trend over their previous six games. Clearly, you didn't realize that the Chiefs have struggled recently and erratic play by their offense is a big part of that. That was me providing context to your false implication that Cincinnati's performance last week against Kansas City somehow means the Bengals' defense isn't terrible. The 25 points the Bengals gave up last week is above the season average for the Chiefs' offense.

The Bengals give up an average of 382.8 yards per game this season. Only the Commanders give up more. That is far more meaningful than your attempt to mislead by raving about what they did against Patrick Mahomes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The difference is that I didn't just mention the one game. I mentioned the trend of what the Chiefs had done over their previous six games.

I later added the Bengals' horrid overall defensive statistics this season, which is more relevant than one game against the Chiefs, anyway.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    On the Commanders give up more yards per game than the Bengals. You can struggle to believe whatever you like, but the fact remains that the Bengals' defense is horrid and the Seahawks have been awful the last 10 games after a good start.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    People get so caught up in the highlight-reel plays by Jackson that they don't realize that the defense is dominant. Most of their top guys in the secondary are dealing with minor injuries, so they might sit. As long as Smith and Queen are playing, that defense is dangerous. I'm hoping Harbaugh goes full white flag and sits both of them, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Queen has a very messed up shoulder, he will sit IMO.

from the Baltimore Rag Paper:
    As Queen touched on, he could use some rest at this stage in the season. The fourth-year linebacker leads all Ravens players on the team in snaps played on defense (1,070) this year.

However, Queen would very much like to help prevent the Steelers from clinching a playoff spot.

"Anytime you can send somebody home, that's one reason why you play the game," Queen said. "Like I said, at the end of the day, it's a rivalry game, so you have to treat that game like you would treat any other rivalry game.

"With those guys, like I said, they come out try to punch you in the mouth. That's just the type of game I like, so when you have a team like that, it's a fun football game. It's a great football game against two teams who have a ton of respect for each other, but still want to get down and ground them."

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If they actually do sit their starters, yes, you will hear that. I'm sorry if those potential facts trouble you in advance. It already looks like Hamilton and Humphrey won't play. Both are dealing with minor injuries, so they will likely get the time to heal. If Smith and Queen also sit, then no, it's no longer a great defense.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sitting him would be the smart thing to do. I'm sure they don't want to look back on the season and see a sweep by the Steelers, either, but Harbaugh should be focused more on bigger goals.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Saturday would be nice

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Tweezer

Dec 9, 2020
    I still get a kick out of Pickett going with the HARD NO on learning anything from watching. :lolol:

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I am guessing he sits. He has been a mess for a few weeks. shoulder or neck or combo. I doubt he plays. I don't think the Ravens are too worried about the Steelers and the #7 seed.

They will face a tough opponent in Rd. 1 (CLE and BUFF both could be stiff opponents for them)

If we get in, I doubt we get past Rd. 1, hence, we won't see the Rats again.

But it would be FUN to get in!!!!

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    As critical as you are about everything from the Owners on down, are you CONFIDENT that Mason has turned the corner and will now be a QB you can consistently count on? It'll take a few more good games for me to believe it.

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

for 2 weeks, I have seen significant improvement, as MOST of us have. you have too, I am sure.

I am not crowning him the next franchise QB. He is the best QB on the roster right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Of course I've noticed improvement, but it's only been 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the second part is true also.

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This is spot on. The Ravens will be sitting some high end starters that are dealing with minor injuries, thus making their defense “worse”. It is lining up for the Steelers to have another good offensive outing.

It’s is allowed for both facts to be true. Mason has played against below the bar defenses in his two games starting, but he has also out performed both QB’s that played ahead of him this year. Kenny’s played plenty of bad defenses and ended up with 10-16 points. Mason played against defenses we should score 30 on and he…. scores 30+ points like he should have.

Mason won’t win the 2024 job this season unless we go on a very deep playoff run. I for one will be hoping he continues to play well regardless. A playoff run with this team would be fun. We can beat good teams with quality QB play. We also have proven that we can lose to anybody when the QB plays below the line. There’s a lot of young players I’d love to see experience the playoff atmosphere.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

then...we agree!! :drinks:

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I always was prone to hyperbole. ;)

24. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Normally I think that's a good way to do things, but Kenny was 3 years older than your typical rookie. He's only 2 years younger than Mason, and an athlete only has so much time to be in their prime. They kind of threw Kenny to the wolves last season, but the way Mitch was playing they really had no choice, and Pickett was their #1 pick. I guess in hindsight you could say they could've put Mason in, but I don't think anyone expected Mason to play at the level he has the last couple of weeks

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was as excited as Franco when we drafted Kenny and rolled my eyes every time I heard the “high floor, low ceiling” analysis. Turns out, those saying that may have been correct. He’s failed to take the next step in his progression this season and that’s very concerning. The Steelers have little choice but to see what he can do with a competent OC next season, but I’ve seen several flaws in his game that are worrisome. I just hope they’re correctible and not fatal flaws.