1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason vs Kenny statistics, also deep throw stats

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    So I wrote this in another thread. But I think many would like to see it. Also want to say I'm a big Kenny fan and hope the best but....

I know this is fantasy football. But it does rankings of defense for passing, TD etc points.
    Screenshot_20240103_141213_Yahoo Fantasy.jpg

Kenny should have done great in Jacksonville and Houston. I get those were with Canada. However Kenny missed Canada easy game plan on connections.

Also.....
    Screenshot_20240103_141624_Chrome.jpg

Kenny only having 3 games over 90 rating, is a problem for me. With horrible ratings against Jacksonville and Houston.

Now Mason....
    Screenshot_20240103_142129_Chrome.jpg

Mason had harder defenses than Jacksonville/ Houston. And....
    Screenshot_20240103_141947_Yahoo Fantasy.jpg

Those two Games were over 110+ rating. Something that Kenny hadn't done in two years. And only once was over 100.

Screenshot_20240103_143031_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240103_143144_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240103_143237_Chrome.jpg

Kenny played 9ish full games. Rudolph 2 complete games. So 4.5 times more Kenny got to see the field. Yet, Mason has severally better connected deep throws per game average. Mason also has less poor by almost nine times. Mason has zero drops, and we have continued to see poor snaps to him. Only thing Kenny is equal to is redzone attempts per game, however I will urge you to see the scoreboard.

I'm not saying, "omg Mason is amazing and perfect". But he's better than Kenny is. And Kenny needs to sit, watch and learn. Just like 2019 Mason did. Because Mason looked like a kid trying to walk for the first time, while on ice.

So yes, Mason starts next year, unless he performs a rating below 55 against the Ravens.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    He might. He might not. But I see he is worth paying for. Specially if he has a rating over 80 against the Ravens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Do they really have the Ravens 32nds and the Browns 30th? Am I reading that right?

4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Yep

5. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    the point isn't the glass is half empty or half full. The point is that it is refillable.

That means that let's stop arguing which mediocre QB we want by getting an elite QB, coach him up with elite coaching, get him an elite play caller, and let's win a Super Bowl instead of arguing over a mediocre season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Kenny hasn't done anything to show he deserves to be starting next year.
    Kenny had easy games. As well playing games where defense players were out.

7. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Yep. If Kenny sits for a couple years, let's see how he is. But as of right now, he's only worth being a backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    For fantasy perspectives, they're listing it as a ranking of points surrendered to the QB position. So a lower ranking would be a better defense, so to speak.

• Like Like x 2
  9. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Mason shouldn't be handed the starting gig for '24/'25 in week 16 of '23 any more than Kenny should. Kinda putting the cart in front of the horses aren't ya? Considering there's a chance Mason isn't even with the team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Kenny is in the developmental phase. Kenny showed "something". I will let you try to remember the flashes that Kenny showed. The Steelers won't give up on KP heading into this 3rd season. They will remain hopeful that KP can take the next leap in his development.

I know it's a difficult process for the instant gratification fans to accept.

Meanwhile, the Steelers have an opportunity to make the playoffs without a clear cut franchise QB. Adversity/competition can be good for players and teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    This is far too small a sample to make a reasonable decision about 2024. The Ravens game, fine.

What you should look at is the comparison between the two against the Bengals. It's the only full game sans Canada that Pickett started, and aside from the two TDs Pickett was just as good, and in some stats better, than Mason was. (And of course a one game face-off is too small to determine anything much out of either.)

Point is, while I like how much better the offense has looked under Rudolph the past two games, it's just too small a sample to predict who is better for the team down the road. I'm happy for Mason and hope he continues, but given the contracts and draft capital involved I fully expect Kenny to re-enter the picture and be given a shot to show what he's got. I'm still pulling for him as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Oh boy...... where to start with this one. Hmmmmm.

So Mason historically has put up terrible numbers. Remember 4 int's and getting beat up? Then replaced by a Duck against a 0-fer Bengal team.
    But here's the thing:
    When I went to camp Kenny's first year, Mason and Kenny were playing almost lights out. Mitch was leaving divots and throwing to the Defense.
    I am not implying Mason magically morphed into a butterfly.
    But Mason should have been the starter right out of the gate and Mitch eating sunflower seeds and reading Joe's Garage.

Mason has been playing lights out now, 115 rating.
    He's not mobile.... ergo the 'Standing in the pocket' thing.

Kenny has played, well, like a rookie or a 2nd year player hitting the wall.
    We've seen some great stuff. We've seen not so good. (All in Canada's idea of an offense)
    We do need to see more. Training Camp needs to be open competition and the 'real' winner needs to start.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    These kfp fan boys are exhausting... Mason is the man...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never said Pickett should walk into the 2024 season with the job locked up like he did this year, but you are saying that about Rudolph after two games against bad competition.

Also, I can't take anything seriously from a source that has the Ravens and Browns ranked that low in passing alone or overall. They do not know what they are talking about.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Two starts after five years ranging from mediocre to showing so little they didn't even want him as a backup. LOL

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, keep in mind that Pickett was robbed of a touchdown pass against the Bengals. He also faced a tougher version of that defense. The Bengals lost D.J. Reader, a an excellent run-stopper in the middle, the week before the game that Rudolph started against them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yep. We have 3 backup QBs on this roster. Regardless of where they were drafted or what kind of draft grade the FO had on them, they are all mediocre at best. And at worst, just plain terrible. Hard to believe we go from having a HOF QB to debating which one these scrubs sucks less than the others which feels like we are back in the mid 1980's.

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    You know they are not giving up on KFP when you see even now KP is listed as #1 QB on depth chart.

19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Oh, I didn't realize he was reading that backwards. Lol

20. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Here’s another stat. Picket has the worst ratio of TD to pass thrown of any qb in nfl history at 1.82% (minimum 500 passes thrown). I doubt Steelers will be able to get a 5th round draft pick for him despite his cap friendly salary

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think we'd all agree that the recent showing by Mason is a small sample size and we need more to say it is a trend. It helps that the running game racked up over 200 yds against Seattle. Who, BTW has given up over 1,000 rushing to opponents in their past 6 games for the worst in the NFL. I would say that playing against crappy defenses helps. That won't be the case Saturday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    It’s a small sample size but all I know is with Mason @the helm they’ve gone from prit near bottom of the league in Offense to almost the top. Think they were #3 in total offense and #2, I believe, in rushing. Let’s see what the young man does in Ratbirds nest. If we do make it in run with him the whole way see if we’ve hit lightning in a bottle finally.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I agree he has flashes. But so has every QB.

The thing that bothers me is he is not better than last year. He's only showed he's a backup with highlights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    he could be, I think the realization needs to be that half or more of 1st round QB picks are busts, as in their career in the NFL is not significant as a starter. Whether KP should have been taken in the 1st is moot, he was, by us. In some cases a team recognizes right away that it was the wrong choice, whatever position..a few times we see players released quickly, but if they show something you have to make the best of it, I have been seeing vids where its stated KP is done, blah blah. Honestly it isn't Omar's pick and he may surprise us, but traditionally and business wise this is not usually how the steelers work.

• Like Like x 1
  25. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    There are only two games out of 11 that Kenny played this year that are comparable or we can say the same as Mason's output against CIN and SEA.
    Kenny's LV game = Mason CIN
    Kenny at Rams = Mason at Seahawks

The rest of Kenny's performances this year are pure garbage, incomparable. Of those garbage games three were the best and comparable to Rudolph in 2019, and those are BAL, TEN, and at CIN.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1