1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin confirms Kenny Pickett is healthy but Mason Rudolph will start against the Ravens.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Medically cleared to play and healthy as in 100 percent are not the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's Madden, so you know it's bull****.

For what it's worth, Pickett denied the story today and said if the team feels he is ready to dress, he will be the No. 2.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Kaboly doesn't have information. He said as much. He has speculation, which I find disappointing. I thought he was better than that.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Back in the day that was the way to do it

Rookie contracts and FA put an end to it

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Did he say that

6. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Yes, but you have to make it all the way through the rant to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    So in other words he did learn something after all

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He was limited in practice last week. Given that, they held him out. He’s a full participant now. Not really hard to figure.

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes - but it is the not back in the day, unfortunately, as we know. Mason is our best option and he may now be maturing. He walks from here in 2024 and what a regret we write about for years (perhaps)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    He’s your starting quarterback for god sakes. He’s knows the playbook inside and out. Kaboly said himself, there’s stuff you know but can’t write. Also which is why Tomlin pushed off the question about Kenny in the press conference and told the media to ask him about it. If there’s any chance for Tomlin to save his guy, he does it right there and squashes it. He didn’t.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Only if you believe Madden, which would be a foolish thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If I remember correctly, the question was about how Pickett is handling the situation, so he trusted Pickett to speak for himself. All Kaboly's statements tell me is that he has nothing but speculation, which just leaves me disappointed in Kaboly. Implying something when he doesn't have the information is unprofessional. It is poor journalism. If you have it, report it. If you don't, shut the hell up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I don't know who madden is, but going by KP expressions in 2 weeks ago he sure didn't look happy...... Don't surprise me if he did deny it.. did u expect him to admit to it... either way I don't care it doesn't affect me

14. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    If a team has a franchise QB, who is a difference maker, then they would play that QB. Limited practice wouldnt factor much in that regard.

We don't, so it's ride the hot hand, and re-asses in the off season.

15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You need to make a game plan. One QB hasn’t played in several weeks and is limited. Do you make the plan based on him being the franchise? Or do you plan on the one who’s available?

And let’s not put KP as franchise in the same way we did Ben. He hasn’t earned that yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Im speaking generally, about the NFL, and not comparing Kenny to Ben.

Personally, Im surprised that Tomlin is letting a starter lose their job because of an injury, let alone his starting QB. He's loyal to his starters to a fault.

I think it speaks volumes about the state of our QB room.

If Mason wins on Saturday, and the Steelers make the playoffs, then who would be the QB for that game?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is a big damn leap from being unhappy about being benched and refusing to suit up as the backup and there is no evidence to support that leap. I don't know of Pickett lying about anything, but Madden has long history of making **** up just to piss people off and get attention.

Madden has no sources with that team. He may show up in a press box, but he won't go in the locker room or anywhere he might have to talk to players. One of the worst indictments there is of Pittsburgh media is that Madden keeps getting work.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If the team wins Saturday and Rudolph plays well, he would have to be the starter for the playoff game. I think he would have to play so poorly that he is pulled from the game or he would have to get hurt for them to go to Pickett the following week. That isn't any great faith in Rudolph, but you don't mess with what is working just to throw a guy back in there after he sat for six weeks. Pickett deserved to start as long as he was healthy, but he's not established enough to warrant a switch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    When Pickett went out with injury, the team was 7 and 4 and he had them down to the 1 yard line in a 3 to 3 game. Now he is benched. Imo, this is a continuance of coaching malfeasance. Pickett had his best game as soon as Canada was canned. Instead of going back to Pickett when he was healthy, Tomlin is going with Rudolph, who will turn back into a pumpkin as soon as there is enough new tape on him for defenses to figure him out. Tomlin has no idea how to handle this situation. He will end up going into next year with no one able to be the QB1.

20. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Tomlin also said he has two capable qb’s. That’s enough for me right there. KP should be fine, he’s a second year guy, some reports say he’s good, not sulking, he’s probably happy the team still has a shot and he’s one play away from getting on the field. Plus there’s a chance MR moves on or at least there’s a fair QB competition in the offseason. He should just work, get stronger to avoid injury and be ready. And hope the Steelers pickup a good OC in the offseason

21. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Tomlin should make them co-starters. That would be pretty typical.

22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I feel bad for Mitch feel like he didn’t get a fair shot. He is the future and MT is blowing it.

JK

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That is a problem we all hope to see. IMO it will be Mason. Best bet or not the team is responding with him at QB. First time they played as a team all season. If we can get in I think we have a chance to make a little noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i agree in part, but not in another.

Kenny has stunk. Mason has LIT IT UP. Even Tomlin, in all of his ignorance, can see this.

I think you can too.

Kenny had gone 3 and out 2 times ALREADY in the that 4 posessions. Mason and Co. have done that maybe 2 or 3 times now, in 2 games. Pickett LEAD the league - or was top 2 or 3. it was PUTRID to watch.