1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

S.T.D, this is for you. The Business is the Business.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan4life, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    Here you go S.T.D. Just for you since you have been stating the same thing a bunch of times in a few different threads this week. The video starts on the spot when Ben talks about why first-round draft picks get more leeway. They talk about it for 6+ minutes but they don't mention FA signings.

Now, who makes those calls? Coach, GM, owner, all of them collectively? :shrug::lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Colbert always claimed the Steelers had a 1st round grade on Mason, so how does that factor into this situation?

LOL... You have to wonder if Colbert is in a Bar somewhere saying... See, I told you all! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    the day after draft day, it shouldn't matter what our draft grade was on a player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    That is correct, at that point the grade is irrelevant and players are locked into contracts based on where they are picked and not where they are graded.

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And there are a ton of "fans" on TSF going "We have always been at war with Eastasia."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Thanks. :thumbs_up: I tried saying this.
    I say what I do about it, and FA....not just because the Steelers do it, but because I see it throughout the NFL....most of the time....whomever is the Highest pick, and, or Highest paid FA at their position on a team will start. Just how it is....it's a business. That's exactly why I knew as soon as Trubisky was brought in, and KFP was drafted in the 1st.....there never was a real Qb competition, and Mason was screwed. Hell watching preseason told You that. Why was only one Qb not allowed to ever run with the 1st team??? Because of Money, and Draft picks....it's that way mostly on every team..., and for every outlier some may bring up....I can give 10 to prove My point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I concede this. I don’t even know if we ever debated this but I probably felt Trubisky outplayed him in camp but Id say you are 100% right, Rudolph never had a shot once Trubisky and Kenny were brought in.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We seem to be infatuated with other teams garbage heap former 1st round QBs who never amount to crap here. The latest ones that come to mind are Trubisky, Paxton Lynch, and of course Mike Vick. There are probably more but it further reinforces the point that the steelers just are not good evaluators or developers of QB talent. We all know Ben did whatever the hell he wanted and there wasn't any coaching or development being done by the steelers with Ben. Why would a QB with a ton of potential and high upside want to come here to have their career scuttled?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    S.T.D is right.
    I mean Ryan Leaf fer chrissakes.

But to stay balanced, when you pick someone in the first, especially high up, you pretty much expect that guy to step on the field with 10 starters.
    That gets amplified if it involved trading any players/draft picks to get that player.
    In today's NFL, you can't mess around. It is all about instant gratification.

But then you also have the Jordan Love scenarios.
    Mahomes sat a year too...
    Those are probably exceptions.

And OMG... I was right there when the Redskins signed Albert Haynesworth.
    He replaced a couple guys that at least made some plays.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015

Not to mention one other guy. Remember kids, always look both ways before crossing.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes, and that's sad that He died so young.

• Agree Agree x 2