1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Trade Pickett …

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris K, Jan 1, 2024.

1. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Pickett has been trash for 2 seasons yet Mason has outplayed him while getting no reps and sometimes not even dressing. Says a lot about Kenny Pickett.

If Tomlin had confidence in Pickett, he’s starting against Baltimore to finish out the season. End of story.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st we have run many of those same plays. At 4:09 on that video....that play has been run about 7 times I can think off the top of My head. Difference is ...it has been dumped to Warren....instead of the bluff, or fake to Pickens....like Mason did. Hell some people the first time We ran it said why didn't we have blocking on that screen.....I tried telling people it wasn't a screen.....that was way way earlier in the year.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Your take is full off $hit. I say this with so much belief that I'm personally will bet You money. I can find more than once the same plays being run throughout the year, and single coverage on Pickens . Put You money where Your mouth is , or shut up. You Yourself said will see how well He does at Seattle, and used them as a measuring stick....now You are moving that measuring stick You Yourself placed. No Mason will not win every game, and no He won't be perfect. I never said He was. I Like KFP, but He still has a lot to learn. What I said is right now Mason is the best Qb on the team....only a million times, and way way better than Trubisky.

• Like Like x 1
  4. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    He’s just Kenny Pickett. He’s gotta earn that F lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He hasn’t out played him, stats are nearly identical in both Cincy games. Rudolph has thrown for two TDs, it’s a team sport, he didn’t score all those points himself.

This isn’t about Pickett as much as it is about you guys being ridiculous about Rudolphs level of play. Pickett has a lot to clean up but I sure liked the game he had once they fired Canada. I still saw some of those same mistakes in that game, he even got hurt because he missed the obvious play to Austin for a TD. But that game was still far and away his best game and it’s no coincidence it came after Canada was gone.

Would have liked to seen what he could have done since then.

If you think he is done as the starter it’s you who is delusional. He will absolutely be give the reigns again under a new OC. Mason is who he is, it will come to light soon, maybe even against the Ravens depending on how many starters they rest. There is a very real chance Pickett isn’t the answer either but Mason sure as hell isn’t.

6. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    You can lightly re-read what I wrote.

Again, George Pickens has not been double covered every game, all game for every one of Kenny Pickett's starts. That is what I said. That is 100% fact

You can post all kinds of interviews that cherry pick a game or moments when he was double covered and feign superiority that it confirms Pickens never gets single coverage with Kenny Pickett at QB1, but it is 100% untrue and you know it.

For the record, Mason is not my favorite QB. I get that was probably sarcasm and you found it funny but I've stated multiple times in this thread that I don't think Rudolph is anything special. I simply don't think Pickett has done anything to discount Rudolph getting a legitimate shot.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  7. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    "Look, look, please look over here as I attempt to distract you from the truth with a meaningless metric because I'm obviously wrong."

Comical

8. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I love when someone like you talks down to me about football like you know what you're talking about because you can just tell from watching TV and they scored points. That's hilarious.

When you can put a video up and break it down for me and tell me what is and isn't working and why....you get back to me.

Much of the offense is still dysfunctional. That's what's amazing about some of you talking out of your butt.

The coaches have only been able to alter it so much while the season is going on. There are still bad concepts and poor route combinations all over the place. Faulkner and Sullivan have been making adjustments and adding plays, but they can only do so much. The offense has to execute really well to make things work. The offensive design makes it harder than it has to be. The offense needs to be scrapped and a new offense needs to be installed with more modern concepts.

Canada was a huge problem, but many don't want to acknowledge that, or they can't understand that. The coaches are now changing what they can and adding plays to try to improve and optimize the offense. They are helping to make this offense better, and that job is not easy when they still have their other coaching duties to attend to.

This is still a work in progress, but I give all the remaining coaches credit for really doing a better job game planning and calling plays. They are also doing more productive in-game adjustments.

Will it hold up against better defenses? We won't know until we see it. Hopefully the coaches can dial up some good stuff to help the offense continue to grow.

I'm only trying to explain that there are reasons why some things are working, and they weren't working before.

I keep saying that Rudolph is doing a good job and playing well these two games. It is the bang on Pickett crowd that have to keep screaming "Pickett sucks!" to feel better about themselves. I actually want Rudolph to get better and win games. Imagine that.

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

call me the 'down talker'. better yet : "butt talker". just chill out and follow the debate, discussion

we
    have
    scored
    and lots of them, the past 2 weeks

I
    watch
    the
    games

would have been 37 if Najee did not take a slide

Kenny
    could
    not
    do
    it

let KP sit, watch and learn. or move on....I never said we were the Balt Rats or SF 9rs - just much improved with Rudolph behind center. let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    Nobody on this message board is the authority on X's and O's they pretend to be. We're all watching the games from the lounge chair come Sunday.
    Go pedal that false narrative elsewhere.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Sure, if you don't mind the story being inaccurate.

Pickett has been out for a month. He may or may not be 100 percent. The offense is clicking with Rudolph in there. All of those are reasons why Tomlin could go with Rudolph for now while still having faith in Pickett long-term.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    But, but he knows more than you do. You know, because he says so. Lol. That guy is comical.
    "I AkUaLlY bReaK DOwn gAMe fiLM!!!"

• Like Like x 1
  13. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

No receiver in the NFL is double covered every play of every game. It's impossible. That is a given and is understood by anyone that knows football. I figured that you knew enough about football so it was understood. But to deny that the #1 priority of every defense in the NFL that faces the Steelers is to stop George Pickens is just nonsense. He's the most dangerous weapon they have by a mile. He is doubled a large number of times every game, except lately.

If you want to make it all about the semantics of double teams rather than talking football, that's fine. If your arguments or lack of understanding won't allow that to happen than just say so. This way I won't spend my time explaining and informing you of how other teams have been taking Pickens out of games all season.

If you are going to ignore his own coaches and experts explaining his affect on the game, and how defenses prioritize limiting what he can do, then go stick your head in the sand and believe what you want.

If you want to ignore Rudolph saying why more big plays were available, then go right ahead. Just don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. You simply don't want to know and are ignoring what is really happening.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I understand what you're saying. There are always missed opportunities on plays. I think Kenny did do the same earlier in the year, but I'm not sure either. There are also people that can't recognize a screen from a checkdown!

I think Rudolph is doing great. I love what he's been doing. I just know that the matchups with the defenses the last two weeks favored what the Steelers want to do and fit what Rudolph wants to do. I also know that the offensive line has been doing well with run blocking and they have been better with protections. A lot of opportunities have been there, and Rudolph has taken advantage of that. That's a good thing. I'm happy he's doing well.

Anyway, at least you watch this stuff. We don't always agree, but you know what I'm talking about with these other guys about Picken facing double teams. He is always being doubled, or bracketed in coverage. It happens all the time with him, and people just pretend it isn't real.

Do you agree?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    When people just keep repeating bUt We aRE sCOrInG POiNtS and not taking into consideration why then yes, I will point it out. Really don’t care if you agree or not.

I’m certainly no expert on it but at least I try to learn and understand why things are unfolding the way they are. It’s almost like we score points crowd doesnt understand this is a team sport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    Thank you for acknowledging Pickens isn't double covered always when Kenny plays. You stated as much if not implying it at the least.

I feel comfortable with you choosing to withhold your tremendous living room football knowledge from me moving forward. I'll appreciate you not cherry picking singular events to attempt to support generalized false narratives.

Having cleared that up, please feel free to stop feigning some goofy analytical superiority while moving goalposts and changing angles.

17. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You couldn't be anymore wrong.
    And I am pretty sure there are at least 2 others here.

But this is true, even OC's are wrong at times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I didn't move any goalposts. I talked about things specific to the games, and differences in what defenses have done all season compared to what they've done the last 2 games. Matchups and schematics that the offense has been seeing, and then talking about the role the new offensive coaches have in that.

That IS the discussion regarding Rudolph. :shrug:

19. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    Once again, a measured response that I think I can get on board with for the most part.

The dynamics of this debate make it even more maddening to me that Trubisky was ahead of Rudolph in the depth chart. Had he been the starter for the first two games Kenny missed then perspectives might be drastically different now.

20. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    Is it the guy who keeps telling people they don't know X's and O's?? Because I highly, highly doubt he's one of them.

21. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

See, now you've got nothing and you're being a condescending ass.

All I did was post information. You don't think it's relevant because you are the one that thinks you know everything, even though it is your knowledge of the game that is limited.

That's a you problem.

22. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I'm not telling you that you don't know X's and O's. I tried to explain something to you. Reasons why things are happening on the field.

You are declaring that you don't know X's and O's to the world with your ignorance and your lashing out and insulting me.

23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I haven't followed the thread enough to know who you are referring to. I just saw that remark and thought "whoa.. I know what I did for a living."
    But if you are referring the Blast Furnace... I think he knows what he is talking about.
    I could be wrong but going on what I know...

24. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    *Sigh*

You said Pickett can't or doesn't get the ball to Pickens because he faces double coverage. You said that, not me.
    I simply countered that statement with the fact that he isn't doubled all the time. Therefore it's the QBs responsibility to identify those instances and get the ball to him. Pickett has failed to do this multiple times. It's already been put on display in other threads on this site.

I never said Pickens isn't seeing different coverages with Rudolph at QB1. I never said Pickens isn't facing double coverages all the time. I never said Pickens isn't one of the main threats on this offense.

I said Rudolph identifies the single coverage and is getting the ball to him, consistently. I said Pickens isn't doubled on every play or to the degree of a Justin Jefferson. I said Pickens had had his two best games statistically with Rudolph throwing him the ball. That's all I said

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Trubisky never should have been brought in, thats very clear now, his play was truly awful.

No way Rudolph would have played worse against the the Cardinals and Colts and probably win one of those games. The defense crap the bed in one so not sure he could have overcome that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1