1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Trade Pickett …

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris K, Jan 1, 2024.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The answer to QB is simple, Wait until round 6 or later and look for any NCAA QB whose last name ends in the letter "Y".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Didn't we lose to 2 of the worst teams in the league? Figuring out what happens in the NFL is near impossible especially this year. Look at all the 9-7 and 8 and 8 teams this year. Not a great year if your a gambler, I'd guess.

3. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Check out the 3 games before that. He was on the verge of getting benched. Also he still only produced 16 points in that win against the Bengals. So Kenny can be pissed all he wants. This whole season has been blamed on Canada but if you ask that offense who runs it’s better, Kenny won’t be happy with the answer. It’s clear who moves this team better. No it’s not fair to lose your position to injury but this is a whole different team with Mason in there. So ya you stick with Mason.

4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    "No Value"
    "No one would want him"

Remarkable.

Back to reality:
    If Mason plays well - he deserves to return and he deserves to compete in camp. If he stinks up the joint, some decisions will have to made.
    Only a fool would sell off Pickett for nothing. You know how the old saying goes.. "a fool and his money...."

There will be a new offensive coordinator in place.
    A lot will be determined from there.
    Who they hire is a major exclamation point.
    If they go the cheap route and hire from within, all bets are off.

I doubt the Steelers clear the QB room. I'm not sure any team would that had any sense.
    I expect that they will go to camp with Mason and Kenny.
    It looks like the Steelers are $7mil in the hole. That will clear up but I doubt they pursue a Kirk Cousins. (Cap and it is not a good fit)
    With Mason and Kenny, they might not need to sign a Vet. They could just pick up a Vet later in the draft.
    But this is all putting the wagon in front of the horse. The first step is to see what happens to the coaching here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    100 times this. Frame this response.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So why is all of Masons bad tape forgotten because he played good against Cincy but Picketts good game is forgotten and the focus is on just what he did before that?

Before that game all the rage was directed at the fact that the Steelers have not had a 400 yard game in 3 seasons. Then Pickett leads them to that the first game without Canada and it’s like 400 yards what 400 yards what are you talking about. It’s completely forgotten.

The point is, the team could have been doing just as well had Pickett not gotten hurt based on what he showed in Cincy. Points would have come. Rudolph has thrown 2 TDs, people acting like he’s doing this all on his own.

7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Additionally, they are running the ball.
    People want to toss Harris and he's pounding the ball....
    For some reason, some do not understand that combo is a awesome. Harris with 122 and Warren with 75 is great.
    Those outputs and switch week to week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I hope Pickett gets traded as far away from Pittsburgh and for as little return as possible... Then I'll LMFAO when puts on a Yellow Jacket in 20 years and laugh at Tomlin for botching this. I'll probably just watch less and less Stillas ball in the future. This whole situation left a sour taste in my mouth and it'll be hard to come back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Because not 1 time during the season besides the Cincy game has Pickett showed he can play a full game. Masons tape isnt forgotten but let’s also not forget he was drafted by a team that didn’t even have a QB coach and immediately was told by a teammate that he’s not sure why he was drafted. Then was expected to save a season with basically no reps at camp or during the first few games before Ben got hurt. Kenny had all last season to work out kinks and basically all season this year. But he also can’t stay healthy. Maybe Kenny just isn’t ready yet to be a starter.

Also not 1 time has anyone said Mason refused to help them. It’s well notes that Mason works his tail off and helps other teammates. So ya you can put out bad tape but still be a great teammate and help anyway you can while getting better with limited opportunities.

That offense is quite telling how they feel about Pickett vs Mason.

10. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    It’s about scoring points. Even Tomlin alluded to it. Despite Pickett’s best game, they only scored 16 points against a pitiful defense as some put it. People also realize that there are extenuating circumstances for Rudolph. He showed potential before his KO. The next year at Detroit, he went in on one day preparation and had rainy conditions. He still outperformed Jared Goff with a slightly higher rating and had a touchdown. He went 30/50 for 248 yards. Why did the offense throw 50 times in rain? Because they didn’t have a running game. Mason is still running Canada’s offense for most part, just a different play caller.

They got some offensive spark for the first time since the Trubisky/Pickett experiment started and that’s why it’s right decision to stick with Rudolph. They need to find what they have with Rudolph, as they need to know what they need to do at back up qb spot. Mitch isn’t the answer. Now they know, that Rudolph is capable, they need to know if he’s starting qb material. He’s performing with offense scoring points, so sticking with him is the right move.

11. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Pickett has no choice the next couple years where he will be playing, and with 6 total Touchdowns he better straighten up.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

NOBODY would trade for Pickett

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is going to get a sizable raise and I believe his agent is already working on the figures and incentives.

Their is zero guarantee he will be a Steelers next season. With over half of the league now having to use back ups due to injuries or lackluster play he will get paid somewhere. He owes nothing to this franchise and will go to the highest bidder.

How he has been ignored and dog housed by Tomlin says a lot. But now Popcorn owes him a debt of gratitude preserving that winning streak.

If he plays well against the ravens, we win and somehow get into the playoffs and he wins there he will get starter looks.

To me a player speaks volumes not just with stats but the eye test. Poised, solid in the pocket, not afraid, in command. He passes the eye test. Better late then never.

What will become of Pickett who really knows at this point. But in 2 games Mason has outplayed both him and Mitch. And has rejuvenated a pathetic offense. Now defenses have to respect the passing game so it opens up the rushing attack.

Mason MFin Rudolph...

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

a QB is completely different

completely

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

zero guarantee - yes, but you don't mean zero probability?

yes - it will cost us cuz we have screwed this up, for sure. if he has a monster game on SAT, it will even be tougher - teams will take notice, FOR SURE - while we decided MITCH was the answer!!!!

16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

You also have to acknowledge the fact that Matt Canada's plays are being tossed.. weeded out.
    The new OC's aren't great, but they are not silly like Canada and stick with stupid Bubble screens or jet sweeps on 3rd and 9.
    I am in no way giving them the keys to the offense, I want to see a real OC come in.

RE: Mason. Mason has always been an aggressive passer.
    I applaud his performance.
    I am also not forgetting he got benched for a guy named "Duck."

I don't have any issue keeping Mason on the roster if he balls out this weekend.
    Some team might have other ideas.. though it should be noted that he was on the market from Feb to May with no interests.
    I actually am a fan of Mason's and I had high hopes for him here.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

his best game?

1 TD, 3 FG's?

why do you keep carrying the water for him?

He was a long shot, crap shot when we drafted him. No need to get wrapped up with Kenny this and Kenny that.

He has been a bag of not much (nice kid, strong work ethic) but injury prone every play, not confident and not worth the effort at this point, IMO and in most others opinion, it appears.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I had hopes when they brought in Mitch. Then they drafted Pickett. And then Mitch was replaced.

I never thought he was the answer but a stop gap until a rookie was drafted and ready.

I do believe that both him and Pickett had handcuffs with Canada just don't make the big mistake which could leave to tentative play. But in reality Mitch is not a good QB and needs to be either traded or released. And the eye test on Pickett is just not that good.

Pickett will be here next season but will have to fight for a starting position with either Mason if they can retain him or another FA.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    1. Pickett got hurt in the Cardinals game and the Steelers were about to score. If the Steelers score there and with Pickett I think they would have the momentum of that game changes. Also, since Murray returned to the Cards they are 3-4 and just beat the Eagles.

2. Pickett did not play against the Patriots and while the Pats record is horrendous, it's because of their offense. The Patriots defense ranks 6th in the league in total defense.

Now, if you want to say Mason should have been the backup in those games and if he was they would have at least won 1 of those I can get on board. Mason very well could be better than Pickett. However, Mason just faced two of the worst defenses in the NFL this year and dominated them, as any average QB should. I'm not saying he will not be good against the Ravens but let's not crown him a franchise QB yet.

The Ravens will be a true test. While they will be sitting many starters, most will be on offense. Their D will still be tough.

• Like Like x 2
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed

21. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Nah, I'm gonna file that is the circular cabinet.
    First, there's a ton of "ifs" in that post. If Kenny had the team playing around him like Mason did. If Pickens doesn't make this catch or that catch. If DJ doesn't make this cat h. If the running game was doing as well when Pickett was in. If Canada wasn't OC. If Pickett had played these last two games.....if, if, if.
    If Grandma had balls she'd be Grandpa.

People keep talking about Rudolph like he's had his chance and failed. Been in the league 6 years. Wait and see when they give Kenny 6 years.
    Kenny Pickett has had more opportunity to "prove it" than Mason Rudolph. Twice as much opportunity in fact.
    Rudolph has started 12 career games. Pickett has started 24. And only 2 TDs for Mason?? Kenny has a whopping 6. Neither one of these guys are franchise QBs in my opinion.
    There are only a few known's about them. Mason has not had as much opportunity as Kenny. George Pickens has had his best games with Rudolph throwing the ball.Kenny has not been very good for most of his short career. Kenny has not been very durable in his short career.
    Everything else is opinion or a guess.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

the EZ was KRYPTONITE with Pickett at QB - there was never any guarantee of points with the ball his his hands, inside the 5. he is a glass man, posed no threat to run, is not a strong man - and can't read anything or any D. No guarantee of points there - nor anything all season long.

averaged 3 points each first half.

FLAT OUT SUCK!

Mason will light the Ravens up, just stay tuned.....

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correct - if grandma had balls, she'd be grandpa.

Pickett sucked when he played and Mason has not.

that is all.

and he has shown that he is not very durable, another very troubling sign, in the STEEL City. many injuries in 2 short seasons

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Catlyn Jenner

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    But, only the last two games.