1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Trade Pickett …

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris K, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    All though that may be true, Kenny has had what, 24 starts? Mason had around half a season total until the Cincy game last week. Not saying you are wrong or making an excuse for Mason, just not sure there can be a fair comparison between the two.

2. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    just like we play Warren and Harris - play both Kenny and Mason. Kenny picks up the low snap from Cole, Kenny gives the ball to Warren on a statue of liberty. Warren pitches the ball to Harris on an end around. Harris throws it back to Mason, who hits Pickens for an 80-yard TD catch and run.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    And another thing.... Roethlisberger was good with Whisenhunt and Arians. Exceptionally average with Haley.... especially in the playoffs and downright mediocre with Finctner and Canada.

OC does matter. Obviously.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    People really are missing that the offensive line and running game has come alive which takes enormous pressure of a QB.

With that said, Mason gets the game ball until proven otherwise.

I'm not trading Pickett as I don't think he's as bad as everyone thinks but I do think the NFL is a little too fast for him right now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If any truth to those reports, Pickett may make the decision for them.

He has to be piping mad after being saddled with arguably the worst OC ever and then when they finally get rid of him, Kenny has his best game to date and loses his job. I don’t blame him for being pissed. He can’t put himself above the team the way he did (again, if true) but he has every right to be angry as hell over how he has been handled.

Tomlin putting on a master class on how to ruin QB’s.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The lack of not being able to say You are wrong is more comical. Every week You move the goal post. Last week it was because of Cincinnati, and somehow the score difference didn't matter. Then you said we shall see how He does in Seattle, and it would show the difference.....now You add more. LoL. He could go on a 16 game winning streak, and the 1st game He loses.....You would say.....see. LoL Does it burn somewhere on Your body to just say....Hey....I was wrong???
    The dang team is glowing about Him....the line is talking highly of Him....Yet You keep coming up with excuses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    For the 100,001 time....all Qbs make their OLs, and weapons look either better, or worse. I only said this about .....hell I don't know how many times ..., and people laughed, and then magic....Mason. goes in , and everything on the offense looks different

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hatred? Come on. You're being silly.

Lack of faith, however, would be accurate.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Penix, Rudolph and Pickett would be a nice QB room for 2024. Let all 3 battle it out in preseason with new OC. Steelers will need 3 QBs ready to start on any given Sunday due to frequent injuries. Penix could fall to Steelers.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So the quality of competition is irrelevant? The Seahawks' defense isn't good. He has been good, but I'd still like to see him do it against a competent defense. That hasn't happened yet. I'm sorry you are too busy patting yourself on the back to see reality.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The line looked damn good the first time against the Bengals, too. I wonder what the common denominators were there?

I thought you knew enough to look past the surface. My mistake.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph has TWO games looking like this against terrible defenses and five years of not. The one full game Pickett played after Canada was fired he was every bit as good as Rudolph was yesterday. They had a touchdown wiped out by a bad call and took a more conservative approach because the defense hadn't fallen apart yet, but the passing numbers were comparable.

Again, Pickett is in his second season. Rudolph is in his sixth. Around this time in Rudolph's second season, he had been benched for Duck Hodges, then got hurt after being inserted back in the lineup.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

You have a two-game evaluation on a 6-year veteran that has been in this offense for four years that you are basing that on. It's a little silly to make a definitive decision after such a small sample.

As I said. We'll see what happens when everything isn't going well or when defenses get a better read on how to play him. When Pickett completes a pass but it isn't perfect, all I hear is that his accuracy sucks.

When Rudolph has players like DJ wide open and nobody within 15 yards of him, DJ has to jump up high and make a great catch just to come down with it, and everyone is cheering and losing their minds. It was a bad throw and DJ bailed him out.

When Rudolph makes that deep throw to Pickens, and Pickens lays out and makes that unbelievable adjustment and catch.. I only hear cheers and none of the inaccuracy claims by anyone here. Nobody is saying that if it weren't for those 2 incredible catches, Rudolph wouldn't have had 200 yards passing.

When DJ and Pickens both fumbled, how does the game go if they were recovered by the Seahawks?

The offensive line dominated in the last 2 games with great pass protection. Hardly any drive-killing penalties in the red zone that were happening with regularity all season with Pickett under center. The snaps still aren't great, but none of the can't even catch the snap moments so far for Rudolph.

I love how so many are just looking at the score and don't see what's actually happening in the game. People seem to be incapable of making an honest comparison. Rudolph can do no wrong.

If what I said above with the wide receivers happened with Pickett at QB, everyone would be bitching about all of it and criticizing Pickett's accuracy. There's no doubt about that because that is what we all heard after every game. Pickett had every throw analyzed and criticized if it wasn't perfect. Nobody is holding Rudolph to that same standard. They just want Pickett gone and are drinking the Mason Rudolph Kool Aid. He can do no wrong in the eyes on many.

Rudolph has thrown 2 touchdown passes in two games. You would think he has thrown 8 with the way everyone is talking. Everyone is playing better around him. Everybody on offense is now playing better than they were earlier in the season. The wide receivers are playing harder.

Mason Rudolph is playing well. I want Rudolph to continue to play well, and I want this team to make it to the playoffs. But I'm not going to lose sight of everything that is happening on the field and blindly say everything is now fantastic with Rudolph in there. There are reasons why the offense is working now, and it's not all Rudolph. Other players and coaches are also getting it done.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Rudolph has had two games to look good, and he's looked good and produced 30+ points per game.

Pickett has had 24 games to look good, and he's looked bad 23 times. In that 1 game that you claim he's looked good, he only produced 16 points.

How does logic reconcile them facts?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    I am not using only 2 games as a statistical comparison between Pickett and Rudolph. I am using every one of their starts or complete games. Nothing more, nothing less. Rudolph has been better by the numbers.
    The only thing I am definitive about is they are both serviceable, but one has been better, statistically, with his opportunities. I am not a KFP hater and I have no desire to see him fail. Likewise, I am not an advocate for Rudolph over anyone else in particular. I am happy for Mason that he seems to have grown as a QB and human being and has seized this opportunity to this point.
    Opponents aside, if you cannot simply watch the both of these guys play in games this year and admit which of them looks better then I don't know what to tell you. Mason has been better at getting the ball to Pickens. He's made better decisions in critical moments. Has not looked rattled under pressure. Has every throw been perfect? No, but if that's the measurement we judge the QBs by the Pickett is even farther behind.

16. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    Interesting logic here. You get to cherry pick and use only one game for Kenny Pickett as confirmation bias while simultaneously dismissing two of Rudolph's only games this year.

Answer a question for me if you would please. Which of these QBs, in career starts, has better numbers?

17. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    The team is certainly responding way better to Mason in at QB. Things are working and you don’t see the tantrums and pouting. Not excusing that, but the team seems to be playing actual football and trying.

There was a lot of talk early in the season about lack of leadership on offense with nothing seeming to be working. Pickett is the sole offensive captain. Now they seem much better and trying harder without him.

I think this is why the team should consider finding a new QB. There is definitely something going on. Whether the players know he isn’t good and are frustrated they are losing out on potential paydays by not having a QB getting them stats or what (and he was historically bad this season, this isn’t Madden but some of these guys could be missing out on big money due to a historically bad QB).

The team just seems much more inspired and real now. I’m not saying it’s because of Rudolph, rather I’m suggesting that it’s due to a lack of Pickett.

18. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I don't think you're a hater. I just disagree about what people think they are seeing. Again, I think Mason is playing well.

Mason hasn't been under pressure yet. He hasn't faced the same defensive looks Pickett has faced all season with everything falling apart all around him. Mason has had solid offensive line play and everything has been working.

Either people know and understand that, or they don't. It's not something that is subjective. It is something that is happening on the field with real X's and O's. The defensive schemes he has been playing against have not been the same that Pickett faced for various reasons.

What will he do if and when he does face that? I don't know and neither do you.

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agree on Kenny Picket being the Starting QB when the Steelers get a new OC.

Disagree about Rudolph's performance in 2019 after the Baltimore hit. The Steelers rushed Rudolph back into the lineup after that massive hit he took in the Baltimore game. You have to wonder what could have been if the Steelers would have allowed Mason to sit out until he was fully recovered from the Baltimore Hit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What does it mean that Omar and Art got involved and Mitch was the backup in Seattle? Are you saying Omar and Art sent Kenny Pickett to the 3rd string QB?

I am hoping Kenny Pickett is the teams #2 backup QB in Baltimore.

21. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    I do enjoy a good debate. I am also agreeable to disagree.
    If I'm understanding your take correctly, then your thought is Pickett has accomplished what he has in spite of every circumstance surrounding him. Team, opponents, their "scheme" defensively, OC, daylight savings, gravitational pull...
    While Rudolph is a product of his environment entirely, has no impact on these past two games outcome because of reasons, and therefore should be discounted.
    That's about as subjective as it gets.

I bet George Pickens has a different take. Has had his two best games of his career, coincidentally with Mason at QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I don't get why people say Mason hasn't been under pressure yet... Had Mason lost any of these past two games, the Steelers would have been out of the playoffs.

That's tremendous pressure on a QB that had not thrown a single pass in a real game this entire season and was not allowed to practice with the first stringers until a few days before his first game.

Oh and, by the way, his first pass of the season was an 80+ yard TD! People should be hailing him as the hero who saved the 2023 season for Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yea hatred was probably the wrong word I admit but pig headed and stubbornness definitely apply.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I like that Rudolph is playing well and we finally look like an NFL team again. I don’t know that Rudolph is the long-term answer for our future though. He had two good games.

There are several other underdog stories at QB this year who strung together a few nice wins, but then came back down to earth. Josh Dobbs even had some people feeling like we shouldn’t have cut him at one point.

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    My thoughts too. Mason is benefitting from our running game going beast mode which opens up the passing game. The whole team seems inspired at the moment I just hope it's not to late.