1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin confirms Kenny Pickett is healthy but Mason Rudolph will start against the Ravens.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 1, 2024.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    What trophy? MVP? Cause he isn't winning a SB

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Yeah I saw my bad. Just enjoy greatness.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So if Watt doesn't win the DPOY of the year..., and they take the guys 3rd down from him....I should just enjoy the greatness???? That what You are saying???? Because that will be the same exact thing happening

4. RONN

RONN Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Seems to me that's what Mason did, and standing strong in the pocket.Throwing away passes when needed i couldn't be more proud of his development

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    He’s got a lot to prove no doubt.

Embrace the greatness that is Lamar. Soon to be SB champion.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt they care what we think, but you have to go with what is working for now, and then figure out a long-term direction in the offseason. That's when it will get interesting, especially with Rudolph headed into free agency again.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, there is the matter of Rudolph being a free agent after this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Did Wilson specify who "they" were in that situation? I honestly don't know. It could have been Payton. I doubt he was left out of the decision, either. It's also a different situation because they are out of it and Wilson has a monster contract.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If he refuses to be No. 2, they need move on from Pickett. I still think he can figure things out. Most of the excuses I keep hearing for Rudolph's first five seasons are obstacles Pickett has faced, too, including the concussions and poor coaching. That said, he hasn't done nearly enough to pull that nonsense.

That said, I don't put much stock in rumors.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It's a 24 hour Pittsburgh sports radio station so they have to have something to speculate on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett hasn't been coached worth a damn. This is why I don't understand the people who suddenly want to keep Faulkner and Sullivan. The way he regressed this season has to fall at least somewhat on the coaches.

Rudolph has bad habits in the pocket, too. He turns into a statue even when a little movement buys him the space to step up and throw. That's what happened on the long pass to Pickens before the first field goal. He wasn't under pressure, but Moore was pushed back enough that Rudolph couldn't step into the throw. That's why Pickens had to wait for it. Normally, Rudolph could lay that out a little more and it would have been a touchdown.

That said, Pickett definitely needs to shut up and watch for now. Rudolph is playing well. Pickett hasn't played in a month. That said, I'm not sure it will take a Herculean effort from Rudolph. Remember, the Ravens have nothing to play for Saturday, so he probably won't see their full starting defense.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    What makes you think Pickett is healthy

Just because the OP twisted Tomlin's words

13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Because Tomlin said he was?

He was healthy Sunday also

14. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I'm not talking about other teams. I'm specifically talking about what/how Steelers run the org - who cares what other teams do.

I've heard since the 80s when they passed on Marino that Rooney's don't interfere with coaching decisions, yet you are claiming that Rooney is making weekly calls for Tomlin. I contend all player decisions in Steelers are 100% Tomlin.

So did Rooney or Khan make this call, or was it Tomlin?

15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Tomlin said that Pickett was medically cleared to played late last week.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I shook my steeler helmet (which is modified magic 8 ball), it's only reference was to little to late. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I have no idea, except the rare times you hear where the Rooney's intervene their thoughts. I remember when Rick Trocano was still available in the (I believe) 12 round of the draft (when they had that many picks) and the chief said that local kid is still available, and he was picked. He was converted to safety, then when we needed a QB from the PS Cleveland grabbed him before we played them, lol. The other time was when the discussion about Ben, Dan Rooney said we missed on Marino, and they took him. After seeing the disorganization in so many places we have it good, except when we need them lmao

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st....like a lot of people You only care what We do when it helps what You are saying, and then when it doesn't....You use comparisons to other teams when it does....example.....when You compare playoff win with other teams....I could go on , and on , but I won't waste My time.
    2nd.....How about letting Arians go, and Hiring Haley....Arians wife, Arians, and Ben all three said Tomlin was trying to keep Arians, and He didn't hire Haley....does that sound like the owner not doing anything???. How about the owner saying We must get back to running the ball, and the very next 1st round pick is Najee....does that sound like the Owner president of football operations had nothing to do with it???
    3rd. Don't think for one little min if Rooney said KFP will start this week....that KFP wouldn't start this week. So I think all 3 have made the decision on Mason still starting.
    You will believe what you want....no matter the evidence I have given You.
    I get getting upset about coaching.....I do all the time....just look at the game thread.....I don't get getting mad at Him about things He is not the only person in control of.
    I think some of You should look up what a President of Football operations, GMs, and HCs jobs are.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And because You have no real answer to any of this, and it doesn't support what You want to believe...it's funny. LoL

20. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    1. You are mixing random arguments. You "evidence" is random and you keep claiming the delusion should mean something to the rest of us.

2. The argument at hand is simply whether Tomlin decided on the starting QB or not for this weekend.

3. Ignoring the delusional evidence comments, I guess you are saying that you believe Tomlin+Khan+Rooney had a meeting today morning and all 3 decided to start Rudolph and in that meeting, there's a real possibility that Tomlin wanted KFP but got overriden by Khan and/or Rooney, and these types of meetings happen daily on every player/coaching decision where Tomlin gets overriden by Khan and/or Rooney on a regular basis.

I don't agree with the part in bold because if that was true, then Rooney would have fired Tomlin long ago *and* some reporter would have talked about Rooney's iron fist ruling the Steelers. Lets just agree to disagree.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No , but You dang well know if it was just Sean P....He would have said Sean . P.....but He said ....They....not He.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st....You are skipping what You don't want to hear.
    2nd. No I'm saying they Went with the Highest draft pick, and the Highest paid FA at Qb until they couldn't....just like most other teams do....at every position, and yes all 3 are in that building all the time....You don't have to schedule a freaking meeting. LoL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    STD seems to have been correct on this statement over this last week. I certainly don't know what goes on behind the scenes but during Ben's livestream he said the same thing. Not his exact quote but he said it's a business and when you have a #1 pick at any position, especially the QB, there is pressure to play them. I don't remember what time in the stream it was but anyone can go look it up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I just read that the source of this rumour is Mark Madden, who is a malignant presence in my opinion, and someone who has put out fake news in the past.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    I don't know if it's true, but rumor has it, Kenny wasn't suited this week because he refused to serve as Mason's backup, at this point Tomlin decided to go without him then, and that this problem could still be ongoing this week. I think Mark Madden dropped this tidbit, so it should be taken with a grain of salt...but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if there was some truth to it.

If there is ANY truth to this, then Kenny needs to be benched... indefinitely.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1