1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin confirms Kenny Pickett is healthy but Mason Rudolph will start against the Ravens.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    One of the better decisions Tomlin has made this year. If he started Pickett and the offense went back to what it had been all year, the forum just might go offline again. :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 10
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    He really had no choice. Leave alone the fans, I think some in the team would have had a mutiny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

This is not sure that Pickett will be the starter next year in week 1 if he is healthy...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    There is 0 reason to answer questions on next year. I get the question has to be asked but there is no answer that needs to be given. There is a whole off season to go before the keys potentially get handed back to tiny ken

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Good!

Just so I'm clear: does Tomlin make this decision, or is it the owner, or the GM? @STD, please let me know. Thanks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmm…I think it’s a little bit intriguing that Tomlin didn’t give a vote of support to Kenny though. :hmm:

Maybe I’m overthinking it. You’re correct, no reason to answer that question now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    well they better offer a contact to MR sooner rather than later then

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kenny didn’t even dress last week. Something going on behind the scenes. Maybe he and Tomlin got into a heated argument for not starting him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    The no answer is telling but everyone who isn't blinded by their preconceived notions knows stick with the hot hand at the moment and next year is next year. It'd be 1 thing if tiny ken showed any glimmers but based upon his current body of work he's a backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Im curious what the exact quote was because thats a very telling response.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin is going against his own MO. He doesn’t believe in losing your job to injury. Remember Dotson a few seasons back, took over for an injured lineman, don’t remember who but when he was healthy he inserted him back in the lineup and benched Dotson. Played poorly and lost a playoff game, IIRC.

Kudos to Tomlin for sticking with Mason but maybe this signifies Tomlins seat is warm and knows he has to do things differently. Ryan Clark said as much that Tomlin has to leave his comfort zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I wonder if Pickett refused to be the backup in Seattle yesterday. It sure sounds that way based on Tomlin’s comments. Who is Kenny to do something like this if it is true. What has he done or accomplished to refuse to do anything. Mason is the guy period for the time being and if he gets this team into the playoffs. It would be pure insanity on Tomlin to go back to Kenny and it would make Tomlin look like a complete and total moron.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    KP as really still a rookie needs to be every bit of a teammate that we roasted Pickens and DJ for. Shut up, the team is winning, take the time to be 100% and f'ing watch and learn. Take the time to study film and use the IPAD to look at every play. If he acts up it makes no sense and would tell me we have to move on from him. Being competitive and wanting the ball is admirable, but man the backup is winning and doing something you have not done yet. If Mason wins next week, which would be a Herculean effort, then you have to seriously consider him as QB1 next year. Nobody knew Brady from Adam till he got his chance and I know there is no comparison as he has played before but just perhaps the time on the bench helped him and he sees the game better now. I just have a bad feeling that KP never lets go of that tendency to bail from the pocket and that will kill his career as as QB1.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    If he isn't dressed next week that would clearly tell us his time would be done in Pittsburgh.

17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    No contract discussions until the season is over. This is the way.

18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Tomlin said after the Indy loss that what they were doing wasn't working and he didn't have any answers. What they are doing the last two games has worked and he has discovered some answers. Tomlin has probably cooled the seat, so hopefully he will stick with what his eyes see.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    This is the big discussion on 93.7 the fan today. The rumor is that KP didn't want to be the backup against Seattle so he was made the emergency 3rd team QB. It will be very interesting now that he has been 100% medically cleared whether he will be the backup against the Ravens or refuse to be the #2 guy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nor should he be able to say....until a real Qb competition happens this year in camp, and the preseason.

21. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    TOMLIN does nothing here don’t you know that.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Pretty easy. He make the decision of they let Him. If they call Him right now, and say....Hey Mike .....KFP is starting.....guess what.....KFP is starting. This is why I laugh at all the people blaming Sean P. in Denver for His decision with R. Wilson.....if You don't think for a min the Owners, and GMs are 100 % behind this You are crazy. Hell Wilson Himself said....THEY came to him asking for a pay cut, or He would get benched. Not Sean P.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No He coaches. Just because You repeat it over, and over doesn't make it true. So our Owner..President of operations, and our GMs....don't do anything , but cash checks.....is that what You are trying to say??? LoL. You are saying we are the only Team in the league that's President of operations, and GMs bow to whatever the HC says. Which one sounds the more far fetched???? Either You just want to believe this stupid stuff, or You don't actually know what the jobs of GMs, Presidents of Operations, and HCs are. Yes that was Tomlin I was b!+<hing at during the game for going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the field goal....You know why....because that is His actual job, and it was something I didn't agree with. I'm sorry I don't make up things to be mad at Him for. I get upset with things He actually has control over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    How you going to feel when Lamar is holding that trophy?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I already answered You....so why did You ask twice....on two different places???