1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats Coach Tomlin on 17 years of non losing seasons

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    For Tomlin, I believe he is a good head coach and I have no problem with him being back for the next few years if he has a much better coaching staff...He deserves criticism for keeping Matt Canada for a another year...it's absolutely ridiculous, no other team would have done that in this situation....I have no problem with stability if the results are acceptable but that wasn't the case with Canada.... I also hope he will have a new o-line coach too

For the non losing season streak, it proves that Tomlin has a very high floor no matter what and this is one of the best in NFL history but he must absolutely improve his ceiling which is what matters the most at the end of the day and a good coaching staff around him would be good step in the right direction

One of the reasons for John Harbaugh's success with Baltimore is that he surrounds himself with very good assistants and when the results are not good enough, he is not afraid to change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I won't pretend to know how Art is thinking about this, if the past is an indication then the extension is coming, and I doubt only for one year. if winning two games is the determining factor, then he or any CEO is a fool. After the report on Belichek said he was out several weeks ago, a reporter from Boston said the Kraft's had made that decision, but as the team won a game or two they softened and things might change. Now Bill just signed an extension so its a bit different, but you look at the whole dynamic and if you look at these last 2 games, then you look at the 3 games they lost badly (2 at home) and what really was an uninspired team in many games this year, last several years.

if they beat balt and somehow make it into the playoffs it changes nothing for me, we need change at the top, but I dont make those decisions, if I did I would not be posting here on a cheap lap top on New Year's morning lmao.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Was reading the Seahawks boards and looks like their fans are having this very same debate regarding Pete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Interesting, Pete like Belichek is over 70, and he actually has done a decent job the last 2 years with little to deal with, have no idea their owner situation, but every thing has its ending.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me too, matter of fact I am going down to Rivers this week to collect.

6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh it isn't just in PGH, just as always the back up qb is always the most popular figure in the just about every NFL city, minus a few cities.

8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Topic of discussion was about firing Pete due to a decade of mediocrity. Backup QB wasn't apart of that discussion

9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Tomlin was getting a 2-3 year extension regardless of how the season ended.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Ravens fans felt the same way about Harbaugh until this year.

11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I understand, I was just making a comment of how it has always been in PGH concerning qb situation.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    How are you so sure?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Based on what inside information

Or did you read it on Fox News

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The fO will make the most important decision this off season with the hire of OC /playcaller and offensive assistants. They can't wiff on this one.
    and if MT doesn't let this person have authority to run the offensive side of the ball, then he will have to move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

He doesn't get any credit from me for seemingly kinda rescuing a season just when it's too late. We were 7-4 going into two games against 2-10 teams,and we have just beatem two teams who aren't that good and one without it's ALL-PRO QB.

Too little too late Tomlin, 17 years in and we're giving him credit for making some smart in game decisions and managing the clock?

This is just another typical MT coaching season, where he's underperformed and somehow managed to come away with some credit for going over .500, the ultimate smoke and mirrors act if ever there was one. The few talents MT does consistently display are amazing powers of survival instincts and self-preservation.

This is the same **** all over again, playing down to the opposition, another in-season collapse, another medicore record where we'll either fail to make the playoffs, or get in and get blown out.

And going into next season the status quo will remain unchanged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
  18. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So when are the shirts and hats being sold?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I think that is the sentiment of many here, and just reading the first comment sentiment posted on a link to the 'Hawks board on Carrol, pretty much illustrates the frustrations. It is not about a one or two game hot streak..players playing hard in those games, what about the total disarray earlier in the season (even in the scratched out wins). The seasons where indeed this team won many games, only to be blown out in the first playoff game. I have no doubt many are correct, if he got fired, resigned,,if he wanted to still coach the phone would be ringing off the hook. That's fine, some say 'who would you get better?", well Noll was a HOF coach and we got Cowher, he is a HOF coach and we got MT, everything has a season and then the time comes for change. I have no idea who might be better on a list of candidates, but even as an old man I accept new challenges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Please pick up your participation trophy at the desk.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Yea, after reading some of the threads it was easy to spot some of the parallels between specifical posters regarding the Tomlin/Pete situation. But now it's time to pack and make my way to the amtrak station. Weekend getaway is over and I work tonight.

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL…haven’t read any posts but I can imagine what they might say. “We just let a team that lost to two 2-10 teams back to back at home come into our house and dominate us! Pete Carroll has to go!”

23. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Lol. It's pretty much like that everywhere when your team is losing. Fire the HC, fire the OC, fire the QB, fire the water boy, ect

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Someone who makes the single most stupid play call in SB history should have been gone already!

• Agree Agree x 2