1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph is QB1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TXSteelerFan69, Dec 31, 2023.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we crapped the bed - THAT is what happened. MT and Co. screwed this one up - BIG TIME. they get PAID to eval players. The crapped the bed, it appears right now, on Rudolph. Now, he will cost A LOT of money, provided he another solid performance over the weekend, which I expect as the Ravens will sit about 4-6 defensive starters and we are playing for our lives.

nice work TOMLIN!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

you may want to relax.

what if we have another 500 yards this coming week, then what?

What if we march in as the #7 and travel to MIA or JAX / HOU and light them up - then what?

You may want to relax as well.

we will see - let Mason RUN WILD - Go Steelers and GO MASON, he is our QB and I hope he KILLS IT

it certainly continues to reveal how deficient Tomlin is at player personnel evaluation.....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

KP should feel threatened - he sucks

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea if Tomlin has his press conference today and still doesn’t name Rudolph the starter this week against the Ravens and leaves the door still open for Pickett to start it’s a really bad look for Tomlin. Because you can’t run from it this week like you did last week when Tomlin came out and said Kenny made progress this week and is closer to playing. You gotta eat it and bite the bullet if your Tomlin and say Mason is the guy and the guy moving forward the rest of the season including the playoffs if we make it until he shows otherwise. I mentioned this in another thread that you have to make Kenny the backup this week in Baltimore and not risk having to play Trubisky if Rudolph goes down. Trubisky is unplayable right now and you can’t risk having to potentially put him in the game with the season on the line as bad as he has looked. If Kenny is healthy to suit up which I think he is then you gotta make him on the backup on Saturday in Baltimore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    They drafted him in 3rd rd when they had Ben, and said they had 1st round grade on him. They liked him a lot, they made a good decision to draft him. They just mismanaged giving him his window, because they did not like maybe the redzone play, maybe some pressure type situations early in his career, and they wanted instant fix, and ended up brining in bunch of fake competition.
    Somewhere along the way when Ben was retiring they did it wrong business wise, not personnel wise, and now they have to go back and do the right thing. They need to give him his window because he is the only QB they can have confidence in for the next two years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Tomlin can stick his chest out now and act like he's a Vince Lombardi for putting mason in, but I think this just makes him look like an a*s hole and he should be embarrassed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And a happy new year to you too

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And he will look at it when he is a free agent but not before

No reason for him to sign now

No reason for the Steelers to even offer now

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wanted to get rid of Rudolph a long time ago, but he looks different now.

Maybe something ‘clicked’ for him?

NFL really only affords opportunities to players who get it right away. Sometimes it takes a little while for players to blossom.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Some people really don't understand how the Steelers do business. I would be highly surprised
    if the Steelers don't let MR explore FA like they do other players that have been on their rosters over the years,
    Then after he and his agent have explored his options and the Steelers want to match the other team/s offers for what THEY feel the qb
    market is they will try to sign him. If they don't sign him, I am sure they FO/ position coach SCOUTS will factor in their options.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ward, did I not say that Kenny needs competition in training camp next year? I think one of those competitors needs to be Mason. Not sure what you’re getting at here. I think we agree on every point and I can assure you my memory isn’t short as I’ve been a fan since the mid-70s and I’m definitely not spreading misinformation. So far, Kenny has looked like more like Mark Malone (without the picks which is good) and less like Ben Roethlisberger. So far, he hasn’t looked like a consistent, NFL franchise quarterback and that’s not misinformation, that’s fact. Hopefully, he’ll get there but needs to be pushed by legitimate competition and I hope one of those competitors is Mason.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So you think Pickett lost his job coming off his best game as a pro? If any of you think Tomlin is demoting Pickett to #2 you haven’t been paying attention.

Pickett will be given more time to see if the Cincy game was a fluke or progress.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Until Pickett gets rid of his happy feet and sits in the pocket allowing time for the routes to develop, the Steelers offense will continue to look out of sync. The long pass Rudolph completed to Pickens would have never been thrown by Pickett because he would have spun left into a sack or tried to check it down well before Pickens broke open. Say what you will about Rudolph, but he’s giving Pickett a master class in how to remain steady in the pocket. I hope Pickett is paying attention and learning.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    As opposed to a Rudolph nutsack carrier? I saw you say Rudolph played excellent when he first got his start, the man has never played excellent, not even these last two games. Get a grip.

Try not being so emotional and read what I said. Use a little logic and think how Tomlin will handle this. Bench their number 1 pick whom they have been waiting to show something and then when he leads the team to their first 400 yard game in 59 starts he loses his job.

Yeah, that makes sense :goofy:

15. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I agree that this is a major screw up on top of screw up of not playing Mason earlier. Mason will end up thinking ‘what do I have to do to be not treated as stepchild’. This screw up makes it a certainty that Mason will not sign here.

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The “reason” he was QB3 is twofold:
    1) The team invested a no. 1 draft pick in Kenny and signed Mitch to a free agent contract to be a stopgap so Mason was never a serious consideration after that.
    And (and this is the biggest reason
    2) OUR COACHING STAFF DOESN’T KNOW JACK SQUAT ABOUT EVALUATING AND DEVELOPING THE QUARTERBACK POSITION! So far they’ve done a terrible job with Pickett’s development and they’ve held Mason back. They also should have never signed AND extended Trubisky.

Simply put, the Steelers have botched the quarterback position!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What really is puzzling to me is why the coaching staff was so conservative in play calling with Pickett at QB. Some of those long passes to Pickens would of never been called with Pickett at QB. I was pleasantly surprised to see Mason under center more, then after running several plays he play action with passes to Pickens. Something we rarely saw with Pickett.

Also can't help wondering if 6'5" Mason sees the field better then 6'3" Pickett due to his slight height advantage. Also Mason not using gloves for better accuracy then gloved Pickett. Also Pickett being more jittery in the pocket due to his ongoing injuries .

I think we need another year to see what Pickett can do with new OC and take the handcuffs off of the play calling when he plays. Tomlin says now that you cant play with scared money but he sure did with Pickett at QB, I liked to see if its Pickett or the play calling/designs that holds him back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How do we know what Canada was calling game plan wise? Does KP have a winning record in the starts he has started? Does he have any come from behind
    wins in the clutch? Or was KP told hey don't make any costly turnovers /take any chances keep it close and we will go with our
    all pro kicker to win it. Jack I would have liked to seen KP cut it loose , I have seen him do it. Yes he can play much better, and he must or
    whoever the qb maybe. Lets get a competent OC/ (playcaller} in here this offseason and open up the qb job to the best man whoever
    that may be. As I have said in numerous other threads this hire is very very important going forward especially in
    developing the QB room to put whoever the best chance to succeed. Just one more thing, KP or MR do not have the physical gifts
    of some of the other top notch qb's in the league but give them a chance with a top notch OC/PLAYCALLER and who knows Look what
    happened in Baltimore with Lamar this season, maybe it can happen with us?

• Like Like x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    What’s the hyperbole?

That the Steelers have scored 30 points back to back for the first time since Ben was the QB, pre-injury?

That we gained 467 yards in a victory for the first time since Ben was the QB, pre-injury?

That the offense just clicks better with Mason behind center and operates with more fluidity?

That Mason sits in the pocket allowing intermediate to longer routes to develop when Pickett would have done that cool spin move into a sack?

That the running game has really been unleashed since teams also have to worry about the deep ball?

That George Pickens has had a couple of career games since Rudolph has been the quarterback throwing him the ball?

None of that is hyperbole, that’s happening before our eyes. Can Mason keep it up in Baltimore? Stay tuned…

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Seemed liked when Miles Garrett bashed Rudolphs head in that one game, he wasn't quite right after that. I don't know, like he was a sissy or something. Lost his confidence.

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m fine giving Pickett an opportunity with a legitimate OC. I don’t think the team has any choice but to do that since we have a first round pick invested in him. I hope he can take advantage of that but the more I’ve watched him the more doubts I’ve had about his overall abilities, physically and mentally. He’ll make an occasional play that gives you hope, but those have been few and far between. The 4th quarter comebacks have been neat but he’s got to lead the team with consistency throughout the course of the game the way Mason has the last two weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Ricky Booby was wasn't the same for a while.

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s another major concern with Kenny that we haven’t mentioned enough in this discussion, his durability.I asked the question last year whether or not Kenny was tough enough for AFC North football. It seems like about every 3 or 4 games he’s got an injury of some sort that he’s dealing with. I know injuries happen, but the frequency of his injuries are becoming a concern.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Yes. Pickett did not earn his job. Pickett was given a job because he was anointed to be groomed as the QB for the Stealers. That story is over, there is no fan and no coach on this staff who has any confidence in Pickett going forward. The decision to play Pickett at this point is hey let's see what happens, maybe he will improve, let's roll the dice. Well, that's not the way forward. There is Mason and team and coaches have confidence in gameplanning and executing with him and it's not a roll of a dice. At this point playing Picket is like demoting Ben to see what O'Donnell has to offer. That kind of decision making just does not happen.
    More than that, Steelers will have no quarterback in the next two years who will give the team confidence like Mason.

25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Anybody remember Terry Bradshaw?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1