1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats Coach Tomlin on 17 years of non losing seasons

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 31, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

2. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    So Bill has had three losing seasons in the past 4 years after his majesty left for the tropics. Tomlin has clearly been weathering a storm for the past few years given Ben’s retirement/injuries. With the finish tonight, it’s very unlikely they will make a change at head coach. If they do, he’ll be employed by the time the door shuts. We need to get the best OC we can find and move forward

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And then you have some fans who wanted the Steelers to lose these games at the end of the season, just because they wanted the streak to end and that would lead to Tomlin getting fired, real fans want to make the playoffs instead.

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    "The Standard" isn't what it used to be.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And thank You for helping Me win the over, and the not last in the division again....the extra money in My pocket makes a better New Years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He won't if Rooney, or the GM tell him not to.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly....I mean what do they all have in common.....they all suck. LoL....., and every coach could have non loosing seasons....they just chose not to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Another non losing season. Yes, everyone here excited, c’mon?
    IMG_0155.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Looked pretty dang close to the Steeler standard today in Seattle. Steeler ball is back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Proud is the word

11. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    And we’re too just as proud as proud can be
    IMG_0156.png

12. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    With Kenny and Mitch playing most of the year, we are 9-7
    I think that's amazing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Real fans will once again be disappointed.

14. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You can't win the Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I just hope the Steelers make the necessary changes in their coaching staff (especially on offense) no matter what happens

Last year, they were blinded by our last 4 wins even though our offense was not that good...That's my concern

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, they need to do a search for a new OC, don't settle for Sullivan and Faulkner as co-OCs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    Kenny is a first round QB we better be at least .500. Please don’t remind me about the other one. Look, as I’ve said b4 I’m neither for nor against Tomlin, I’m FOR the Steelers. I’m glad you’re amazed and have a Happy New Year. Go Steelers!

19. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    This is a little deceiving because the inference is that Mike Tomlin has 20 winning seasons. He did not become our coach until 2007. Some of those winning seasons belong to Cowher. While the statement is true, placing the picture of Tomlin there makes it look like it was him the whole 20.

20. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    MEDIOCRITY IS THE STANDARD.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    Although I really kinda wanted him to fail this season, at keeping his non-losing season streak going... at the end of the day, I find myself feeling mostly OK with the fact that Tomlin defied my cynical hopes and wishes.

Why?

Because, after his coaching performance these last two games, he actually won it, fair and square. If he had skid by on a couple of fluke games where it felt like they were lucky to walk away with a win (like 90% of the games this season, before week 16), then I'd feel kind of disgusted by him pulling another lossless season out of his butt - however, that wasn't the case. The Steelers won these last two games - not just by a little bit, but rather convincingly.

Furthermore, Tomlin actually made some really good in-game coaching decisions, displayed good clock management skills, made winning challenges, displayed good instincts at situational coaching decisions, and just generally excelled in other ways that he typically doesn't.

That said - I don't think his elevated coaching performances these last weeks doesn't absolve him of the heavy criticism he ought to receive, especially for how he handled the QB situation this season, and for standing by Canada for too long. Not benching Mitch super late into the Pats game and not when it might have actually mattered was beyond head scratching - it was just a frankly embarassing decision and one playing Mitch at all, in any of the losses against 2-10 teams may yet cost us the season. I have trouble believing Mason would have lost all of the games Mitch lost, but - it is what it is.

Tomlin should be praised, though, for managing to rally the troops - and especially at a time when the team locker room was more demoralized than Nagasaki post-detonation. I just don't think most coaches in the league would be capable of turning things around like that, so I gotta give him some credit for that. It's a shame that he can't ever seem to turn in this kind of coaching performance for an entire season - or at least most of a season - but, at this point, what you see with Tomlin is what you're gonna get. A wildly inconsistent coach, with flashes of genuine brilliance - especially when his back is against the wall. And while non-losing seasons have sort of lost their luster in recent years, it's still technically impressive that he's maintained this streak for as long as he has and that it's still active, to boot. It isn't a substitute for championships, but it's something, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Same here, happy new year!

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what a feat. kudos to the lofty goals. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    I should also add that despite some of my praise in my prior comment, I'd still like to get Tomlin out of Pittsburgh, sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, the team's stellar performances these last two games, when everyone ruled them out, will have almost assuredly won him another 1 to 2 year contract extension. Ironically, considering that he stubbornly refused to start him sooner, it's probably Mason Rudolph he should be mainly thanking for any such contract extension. I believe Mason has been perhaps the main catalyst for changing the team's fortunes these last couple of games - and if we sneak into the playoffs, it will be because of the fresh dynamic that he's brought to the offense # and even the defense.

As such, one would hope Tomlin might want to repay the favor and have Khan work out a good arrangement with Mason during the off season, but I guess we'll see. Either way, my hope is that maybe if we give Tomlin another contract and other teams like his late season performance, it would at least increase his trade value, if that would be an avenue that the organization might want to consider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Thats true, Cowher had some sub .500 years, the best was when we got Ben. Not going to look up the other years because honestly some of our picks in the 1st round sucked, lol. And that Bill wanted to pick a T over Ben really does not mean he was the greatest strategist, but at least losing enough put them in the place to grab when he dropped. lol