1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph is QB1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TXSteelerFan69, Dec 31, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Wait a sec...

You mean Defensive Minded Coaches cannot develop QBs unless they are UBER athletic and/or have a brilliant Offensive Coordinator?!

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014

And I wouldn't blame him one bit. I don't necessarily blame the Steelers for bringing in a vet (Trubisky), either. If we're being frank, Mason hadn't made us forget about Ben. But I don't think the guy really ever got a fair shake here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    KP NEEDS to feel threatened. He’s done absolutely nothing to earn the QB1 role at this point. I like him, was happy when we drafted him and gave him an opportunity. To say he’s disappointed at this point is an understatement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Not only Tomlin, but also Rothlisberger who has always been a jerk despite being a good qb. Below link highlights how he was downplaying Rudolph
    https://steelersdepot.com/2023/12/y...dolph-on-thursday-night-if-pickett-cant-play/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    You definitely start Rudolph next week. Pickett's development can wait until next year. They need a win to stay in the hunt. I think Mason gives them their best shot right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Well, whatever they could do is franchise or transition tag him, but unless you think he is worth 30 t0 40 million that wont happen. lol

7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    No one is told they will be the starter

Contrary to what Mason’s barber said he was never told he would be the starter

He will be a FA and someone may offer him too much money

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not buying what your sellingJA5958

10. Iron Nickel

Iron Nickel Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    Mason has done a good job. So they need to ride him until he's not doing a good job, which means yeah he's QB1 now. Will it continue? Who knows. But I like this dynamic of him plus Kenny chomping at the bit behind him on the depth chart. That competition is what breeds excellence on the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Can you clarify? Not really selling anything other than Kenny has been a disappointment so far and that Mason has clearly outplayed both him and Mitch in the two games he’s started. I’m not ready to give up on Kenny and have been one of his biggest supporters since we drafted him. But his performance “in stadium” has been lackluster to put it nicely. You might say his performance has been “JV” and he seems to “live in his fears” when in the pocket, especially on those “weighty downs”. The offense doesn’t operate with “fluidity” when he’s under center as well as it has with Mason under center the last two weeks. “Obviously”, Kenny hasn’t taken the bull by the horns and earned the QB1 role at this point, he just hasn’t. What exactly do you disagree with?

Hey! That was six Tomlinism drops in one post. Is that a record? Lol

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    No

They can’t

He will be a FA

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
  14. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    30 pts in back to back games. Hasn't happened in 5 seasons? Some of you still saying Mason is doing an "OK job". "I haven't seen enough" haha by all means, lets go back to squeezing water from a rock with the other QB's. Have a few people that hit the eggnog too hard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If they offered I think MR would sign in a heart beat, lol. Probably should have used green.

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Incredible isn’t it? Haven’t seen enough? SMH :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope

The usual MO will be for him to test free agency and see his worth that is what he/they did last year and his worth was nothing

Next year it will ge the same and if He and the Steelers want him to return the Steelers will see if they want to match his best offer

This is predictable and happens every year

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am all in for competition at QB position, I have posted in other threads what I would like. Look it is not like we have much money invested in KFP , Bring in a competent
    Oc/ play caller along with a veteran QB and possibly draft another QB capable of pushing these Qb's and and let them compete. May the best man win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    In no way am I suggesting that we give up on or get rid of Pickett. He should get one more year to show that he can be a competent NFL quarterback. He should absolutely have competition next year in camp and I’m not talking about some long in the tooth veteran or 3rd or 4th round draft pick. IMHO, we’ve got the guy on the roster now that should be pushing him for the starting job next year and that guy just led us to back to back must wins scoring 30+ points in both which is the first time that’s happened in five years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I am 100% against any competition at QB position. They have to sign Mason and give him his window. Pickett can wait.
    When was the last time you saw a throw like that in the 4th quarter to Pickens with pocket collapsing 50 yard bomb? Ben with Antonio Brown?
    No more doing it wrong, sign the guy and give him his window!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Blame that on the GM....for bringing Him here. Anyone that pays attention to not just Steelers ball, but the NFL in general knew.....As soon as Trubisky was signed, and KFP was drafted in the 1st round.....Mason would not get a real chance....unless injuries occurred. I've said this since day one, and have been ridiculed, and laughed at when saying this by more than half the board, and by people I really like.

• Like Like x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No....that what started this problem in the 1st place. It should be a real competition always. Not that farce we had the last two offseasons.

23. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    No, there is no competition. This problem started when Ben retired and they wanted to bring in competition, and brought in all kinds of garbage competition and got everything screwed up. Yet, they already had a QB who should've been named the started and was waiting in line behind Ben.
    There is no competition. Go back and do the right thing, give the QB you drafted originally his window.

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude. It's like this most NFL teams. Gm brings in FA, and teams Draft a Qb in the 1st, and nobody else gets a fair shot. Ask K. Warner. If Green doesn't go down.....we maybe never know who K. Warner is. ....., or ask J. Flacco for the jets.....they draft a rookie Qb, and gave Him every chance even though Flacco had like 14tds, and 6 ints with them....people think what He's doing with the Browns is amazing its about the same He did in Jets stat wise.....teams do this all the freaking time. It's a business....money, cap, and draft means a lot.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No because if it was a true competition Mason would have started. Anyone that watch any preseason seen this, but the haters said.....oh He playing against 3rd string.....yeah no $hit.....he's playing with 3rd string also. He never once got a chance to run with the 1st team.....because there was no actual competition. Only way for real growth....is real competition...