1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph is QB1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TXSteelerFan69, Dec 31, 2023.

1. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Even if Pickett gets healthy, I believe Mason Rudolph is QB 1 going forward until we draft someone better. What are your thoughts? This also makes me question this coaching staff's evaluations. Mason is clearly better than Pickett and Trubisky in my opinion. How could they have him as QB 3?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Have to go with the Rudolph. Win lose or draw, the poise.
    :applaud:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    1. Thread already made.
    2. There's no finding better. Let the kid continue next year if he plays good against ravens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I agree. It’s pretty clear to me as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    What if we don’t draft someone next draft

What if Mason signs elsewhere

Now what is your plan

Hmmm,

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Already explained. It's money, draft status. Mitch was signed to be 1 or 2 and Kenny was drafted to be 1. It's business. Teams play guys who they pay to start.
    Unfortunately they are not as good as Mason, and unfortunately for us Mason was never given an offseason and #1 spot to have his window, and here we are, behind the proverbial 8 ball.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    I hope we can do whatever we can to retain him and to give him the chance that never truly had, to shine without being caught in Ben's shadow. We did him wrong by bringing Trubisky in, so I wouldn't blame him if he took the first best offer outside of Pittsburgh - but hopefully we can make things right.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s hard to understand why this coaching staff EVER felt that Trubisky gave us a better chance of winning than Rudolph.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Do you all think that if a team wants Mason and opens the check book he won't jet? He owes nothing to this franchise. And is auditioning for 31 teams.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He is QB1 the rest of this season, or at least he should be. They can't bring Pickett back in after all that time off with the offense clicking.

No, I do not think Rudolph is QB1 going into next season. Two strong games do not erase five-plus seasons of not being good enough.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They paid Trubisky because they thought he was better. The available evidence told them that. Remember, the entire league passed on Rudolph.

Even if he plays well again next week, giving him a huge contract based on three good games after years of being nothing more than a decent back up would be colossally stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    How do you come up with 5 plus seasons Pickett fanboy. He didn't play at all the first season. He played well before getting knocked out the second season. He had one game after one day of preparation in sloppy conditions in third season, and he didnt play fourth season, and he is balling out fifth season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He has been in the league for five-plus seasons. You don't get to ignore one of those years just because he was stuck on the bench. But by all means, keep making excuses for his past failures. I'm just enjoying what he is doing now. Remember, there is no guarantee he is even back next season. He's going to be a free agent and some team is going to be stupid enough to overpay him.

15. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Agree with the last part...except that the team might not be stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Why would Mason if he was told he would be the starter? He knows our offense and players. And sees we would have a post season.

17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Of course Rudolph should start against the Ravens. I'm afraid though that Tomlin will announce that KP is fully healthy and will start next week as he thanks Rudolph for playing well the last 2 games.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    One thing I noticed while watching Mason this year. He doesn't seem as shaky in the pocket as the other 2 QB. For some reason I'm not as nervous when watching the offense like he is going to make a mistake the next play, but for some reason I am with the other 2.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    That is incorrect. Steelers need to give Rudolph his two year starting window and salary at a minimum "regardless" of his performance because they drafted him and had failed to do so. They did not do the right thing. He was never given two full offseasons and two seasons as #1, and that is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I mean...

This is the same Coaching Staff that likely was holding Kenny Pickett back for all we know. For that matter, haven't you noticed in the past two games that Rudolph is just saying "eff it" and doing whatever?! Pickett did that post Canada against Cincy but it was back to usual after his injury. None of this though is my biggest current hang up with this staff.

I personally don't mind using the run to setup the pass. It has worked for countless generations in the NFL. I care how exactly the runs themselves are being setup to begin with. It also doesn't help that, yet again, we have a very promising Rookie in Broderick Jones playing on the wrong side. Remember how Kevin Dotson was playing out of position here in Pittsburgh?! Well... go check him out in Los Angeles; playing his natural position and excelling. Who would have thought?! I fear the same may happen to Broderick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    He cant bench Mason now after scoring more then 30 points the last couple of games. Something we haven't done all year.

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think there’s more than sufficient evidence to find Tomlin and his staff GUILTY of not knowing squat about how to evaluate and develop quarterback play. :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Haven’t seen enough from Rudolph to make any determination really. For now what he has shown is that he is capable of coming in and managing an NFL offence when needed. That is a very valuable skill, and it’s not one that he has really shown before as evidenced by every team in the league passing on him last offseason. I doubt that happens again.

I do recall last offseason Mark Kaboly and others were saying that Mason was the best QB in camp but we probably all dismissed it because of what we had seen over the years. Maybe they were right. I would like the team to re-sign him this offseason and see what happens in camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Tomlin does a piss poor job at evaluating talent. Just a few weeks ago a reporter asked Tomlin if considered starting MR off over MT and Tomlin said something like MT gives the team the best chance to win, he didnt even consider MR untill he had to............+ our coaching staff sucks, how many players have left here the past year or so and went to other teams and play well, after not playing well here..

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Do they let Mason walk next year so KP doesn’t feel threatened?