1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Mike Wallace changed his tune???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am afraid Mike Wallace and his agent overvalued his worth,
    That being said if he can agree to STEELER TERMS something
    both parties can be fair about then yes we should get him back.
    But there are alot of owners out there willing to over pay
    (Randle El) for people and as always the player will take the MONEY
    and RUN.

2. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I hope we can get him back, and yes he pi$$ed me off with the what appeared to be not trying as hared as he did in the first couple of years. The money would have to be realistic, willing to restructure like the higher paid players do.
    BUT I also think he wants to look like a team player to up his value with other GM'S.and say all the right things.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The only way Mike will be back here is if the money is realistic, Steelers didn't over pay for him last season and sure as heck not going to now.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't mind having him back, but he'll have to accept a realistic contract. His best skill is his world class speed. He is mediocre to average in all other categories. Some over-covetous owner (see Snyder, Daniel) will throw an unreasonable sum at him and Wallace will use his world class speed to get out of town.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The sad truth is, that unless Todd Haley changes his ways, he's worth more to other teams than he is to us. I want him back too (and I want to use him like BA did), but if we're going to try and make him Antonio Brown like we did this year, I wouldn't pay him more than $3M per year. If I was going to send him deep lots of times and had a QB that could do it, I'd be closer to $10M than to $5M. Jack's right, someone will look at what he did his first three years, and imagine what he can do in their offense, and put up way more money than the Steelers will.

And that's not even a bad or wrong thing. I don't think that's overpaying like it was with Randle El. Can you imagine the damage Mike could do in New Orleans, or New England, or Indianapolis? He is the type of receiver that could easily bring 1,500 yards and 10 TDs with a 19 yard average. But he's never going to do that on a diet of hook and out routes. He needs a proper fit, and if Haley doesn't wise up, it makes no sense for him to be in Pittsburgh, either for him or us.

I've said this before, but for the record I still think Haley is a huge upgrade to BA. His misuse of Wallace is the only thing he butchered in my opinion.

6. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    No they proved him wrong by signing Brown. They proved him wrong by signing Plax. I was referring to they proved him wrong thinking the Steelers couldnt go on with out him and that he was not replaceable. And I think they refused to use him some to make a point. I also wonder if they didnt make him run some slants so he would take some licks.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The only problem is that Wallace started playing poorly since the second half of last season, that was still under BA. I don't care how fast he is, the drop off in his play going back to last season would prevent me from giving this guy a big contract if I were a GM.

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if we still had arians we wouldn't have the money anyway

9. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Wallace will leave for bigger money, then will fade out

10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If money was not really the problem...Wallace would have signed they MASSIVE deal he was offered last season.

HACK

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think he's gone. We'll have a solid WR corps without him and can potentially plug Toney Clemons in as the guy who takes the top off the defense, like Nate Washington did before Wallace arrived.

With Lewis commanding a much bigger paycheck and with Pouncey coming due for his, I'd rather the money go elsewhere, unless he signs for somewhere in the $5 million range, which ain't going to happen.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    People are sadly mistaken if you think Mike Wallace is worth 10 million,
    That is why the Steelers won't franchise him also. He is what he is
    as coach cliche calls him, A ONE TRICK PONY!

13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Tony Clemons is a Jacksonville Jaguar

HACK

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Crothery? My vote for the most messed up spelling of a players name lol :applaud:

Bman

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    An alternative way of looking at it: if money was not the problem, then he might have signed a far smaller deal - if whatever the "problem" is was resolved.

16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    bottom line is he had the chance to sign for big money, and turned it down... then he proceeded to tank the season, insuring that he won't get a similar ofr... he blew his chance, and he knows it..

17. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

18. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    His stats dipped toward the end of last season, but in my opinion he didn't start playing poorly until a few games into this season. The connection is how often we are able/willing to go deep. Last year we were willing but not able, because Ben was never the same after getting hurt against Cleveland, and the OL couldn't give him enough time to do it without scrambling. This year we were more able but less willing, hardly ever even trying to go deep. And even all this "playing poorly" stuff, what are we really talking about? Lack of big numbers, which I just explained because his numbers are so reliant on the deep ball, and drops. Drops don't scare most GMs from spending big money, especially if it was a one season thing, and if your team is able and willing to go deep, there's nothing to say Mike won't go right back into being the same player he was his first three years.

His price will still drop because of this year, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying it's not like everyone's over him. He will still be offered more money somewhere else than he will here, and rightly so, because he'll be better somewhere else than he will here.

19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Think he may be gone already.

20. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :facepalm: Well I guess we better sign Wallace then!

21. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    'Crotchety' is how spell checked spells it, do I still when the 'messed up spelling award'? ;):roflmao:......I hope spell check isnt right. :goofy:

22. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011
    i can't imgine how much grief he got growing up with that name.