1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AFC Playoff Race

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TWISTER, Dec 10, 2023.

1. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    it would be awesome if we the fans could control the game with voting then it could be all our fault or all our glory

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    I'm genuinely surprised by just how much the Ravens are routing the Dolphins. Given the implications on seeding for both teams, I guess I expected a closer game. The Dolphins have just completely imploded though.

The odds of the Ravens not scoring the #1 seed now are basically 0%, which, of course, would - at least in theory - bode well for us. Of course, we would also have to take care of our own business today, and there's no guarantee that that will be the case. I've been feeling extremely optimistic about our chances all week, however I'm doing my best now to temper my expectations, since it seems like 90% of the time, any optimism I've had for the Steelers in recent seasons have been rewarded with great disappointment.

3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The ravens have been great all year long

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    This

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Looks like the Steelers are going to need help next week even if they win today. On the plus side, I think the Dolphins will have to play their starters to hold on to the division next week against the Bills.

6. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Chase Claypool just drop a TD....

7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    We meaning the Steelers. You are not responsible but you kinda are since you're a fan. How do we know you're not the opposite of a rabbits foot :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    With the games going the way they are today, the Steelers will be eliminated with a loss today (and Seattle needs the game).

Steelers have absolutely no reason to blame anyone - losing the DTR led Browns, Cards and Pats are the reason the Steelers are in this spot.

Steelers win today they have 3 paths in next week (assuming they win next week vs a Ravens team with nothing to play for)

1. Bills lose to Dolphins. Dolphins will likely need the game to win the AFC East and not drop from the 2 seed to the 6 seed.
    2. Jags lose to Titans. Jags will need the game since Texans and Colts will both have 9 wins going into the week. If the Jags lose, they drop to no better than the 7 seed or possibly out.
    3. Colts - Texans tie. Winner would be in, and possibly the AFC South winner. Loser would be out. Tie may take both teams out.

Considering the way the Steelers play in Seattle, and the Seattle WR core, probably not going to get past today still alive regardless.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    The Ravens are downright scary. I'm guessing this performance plus last week's against the 9ers pretty much sealed the MVP for Jackson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Like this idea or at least we should be equipped with remotes that allow us to shock the fack out of coaches and players

11. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I don’t think the Texans and Colts result matters next week now even if it ends in a tie. One team will have 8 losses and they will be out and the 10-7 team will be in. The Steelers either need the Jags to lose in Tennessee to drop them to 9-8 and the Bills to lose in Miami with the division on the line to drop them to 10-7 and win the 3 way tiebreaker with the winner of the Colts Texans game. So it’s pretty simple at this point win out and have either the Jags lose in Tenn or have the Bills lose in Miami and the Steelers are in.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    It does matter - both teams will be 9-7. If they tie, both teams will be 9-7-1. If the Steelers win out, they'd be 10-7 even if the Jags and Bills both win.

13. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In your #2.. The Jags would be 1 game behind the Steelers and will be out if they dont win the division.
    in your #3.. both the Colts and Texans would be out in a tie, if Jags win last 2. Colts would win the division with a tie/win and 1 Jags loss

14. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    When I wrote it, the Jags could still get in as the #7 seed with results pending today. The point being, the Jags will need the game.

Yes, they'd be out if they tied and the Steelers (or Bengals) won out.

Point being the Steelers have to win out and the other teams will all have reasons to play.

15. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    Although there's no way to prove it, I kinda think that fans have more input than the Steelers will acknowledge. Personally, I think the loud sustained chants to fire Canada, the constant, deafening boos against Trubisky (and even Kenny), and the demands from the crowd to play Rudolph have all influenced the outcomes which were in favor of what the fans called for - at least from the stands, anyway. I doubt that they read message boards, but I do think ARII does probably care what the paying crowds think. He doesn't want seats to get even emptier.

Maybe I'm just being overly naive or optimistic that this is the case, but football is a business, and - as what should be the case with any business - the customers are always right. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if when our voices are loud and concentrated like that, the odds that changes happen increase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Ha! The Eagles just got beat by the sh!tty Cardinals that beat us. Any given Sunday I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Pretty much!

• Like Like x 1
  18. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Yup and losing to the Cards carries the "penalty" of losing the NFC East, having any chance of the 1 seed.

Eagles now will be the 5 seed instead of the 2 seed.

NFC East continues not having a repeat winner for like 20 years

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Right, so it's not like they didn't have anything to play for. Eagles just haven't looked right lately. I don't expect them to go far in the playoffs.

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Reminds me of a very famous Kinks song " Give the People What They Want" I agree with you. However I wonder how many fans would attend if they were totally ignoring the fans and their wishes.

21. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    ITS PRETTY SIMPLE NOW..

THE STEELERS NEED TO WIN OUT AND 1 OTHER RESULT IN WEEK 18

#1.. BILLS LOSE VS THE DOLPHINS
    OR
    #2.. JAGS LOSE TO THE TITANS
    OR
    #3.. COLTS/TEXANS GAME ENDS IN A TIE

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess the Steelers aren't the only ones to lose at home to a bad team :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  23. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Nope. And if you asked most people they would say that the Eagles are a better team than the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
  24. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Nope, just the only ones to do it twice I guess.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The eagles defense have been pathetic all year long and it continue