1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Who should start at QB in Week 17 if Kenny Pickett is fully healthy?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Dec 23, 2023.

1. Kenny Pickett

22 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. Mason Rudolph

85 vote(s)
    78.0%
  3. Mitch Trubisky - I want a better draft pick

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

So where in your knowledge of the game does getting 3 more turnovers than the other team not matter?

Pickens has been double teamed by everybody for most of the year. They run bracketed coverages and roll coverage to him all the time. You say you watch film, so you should know this. Pickens was left in single man coverage for much of the game. You don't think that matters?

The offensive coaches and play callers had a good game plan, and the team around Rudolph played almost a perfect game. You don't think that matters either?

I am not trashing Rudolph. I think he played a very good game. But it's only one game and the team played perfect around him, the Bengals committed 3 turnovers, they had almost no penalties, and the entire OL had their best grades of the season, but that doesn't matter? The team played better. The Bengals threw a stinker out there. It happens.

Rudolph was in a can't win situation last week. Tomlin should have put him in the game earlier in the second half to see if Rudolph could have given them a jump start and maybe get some reps in for this past game. I don't blame him for any of that. That was on Tomlin not getting him in there.

Like I said, if Rudolph is named the starter, I hope he tears it up. I want him to do well. Everything is just an opinion. All of this will work itself out over time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I can see that Pickett doesnt have an accurate deep ball. At this stage in his QB life, he will never develop it. He is also not accurate in intermediate passes as he doesn't lead the receiver properly. In college, he could 'cheat' a little by running around and buying time and completing passes. In nfl, players are so fast that running around just gets you hit harder. Its a different skill set that you need. You need to read defenses and go through your progression and an accurate deep and intermediate ball. Kenny hasn't shown that in 24 starts. Defenses are never going to respect Kenny ****ing Pickett's deep ball. They are going to crowd the line of scrimmage and make life difficult for him to get first down. Since Offense under him doesnt get yards in chunk, they have to string a whole bunch of first downs in order to score. With his skill set, it's difficult to do. That is why, Offense rarely, if ever scores more than 20 points with him as QB. It's consistently ranked in the bottom in scoring offense.

Mason has all the qualities to succeed and in my opinion, his ceiling is much higher. BTW Mason torched Pitt at Heinz. I predict Pickett will not be a starting QB in two years. He really doesnt do anything well. His play got Canada fired...and that was needed I suppose.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1. The D had more rest this game than the other.
    2. The offense jumping out ahead causes the other team to do what they didn't want to, and that is put their backup in constant throwing.
    Because Mason was hitting people in stride is why we had the most YAC then any other game....which caused us to jump out ahead, and cause them to abandon their gameplan. That is why all the ints. The 1st game because we couldn't score allowed them to stick to their gameplan the whole game. It's why one was. 34-11, and the other was 16- 10.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL :lolol::thumbs_up:

5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Judging by Tomlin's reluctance to go to Rudolph until he absolutely felt he had to, I could definitely see him sending the message that Pickett is the future of the team. If anyone is going to take them to the playoffs, it needs to be him.
    Whether it's true or not, the perception seems to be that Tomlin has a grudge against Rudolph. This would play into that theory.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not not giving Pickett accolades for the the Cincy game. He played a very good game. But for whatever reason, Rudolph was able to generate 34 points with the same players. Obviously, his ability to throw deep was a major difference maker. He’s much better than Kenny at doing that. Kenny has a bad case of happy feet right now and he’s bailing out of the pocket when he doesn’t have to not allowing time for deep routes to develop. But Rudolph used to do the same so maybe Kenny can improve there.

And why do you keep downplaying Rudolph’s 2 TD passes. We feel like Pickett has had a heckuva game if he manages to throw one. At this point in their respective careers. Rudolph is averaging about 2 per game per start (rounded) and Pickett is averaging about a 1/2 of a TD pass per game per start. That’s terrible! Maybe with areal OC that will improve, but he’s been very disappointing in that regard. I won’t even get into the durability question at this point.

You’ve read enough of my posts to know that I’m not a Kenny hater by any stretch. I’ve been one of his most ardent supporters on here from the time he was drafted. This season, however, I’ve grown increasingly concerned about whether or not he can develop into the Steelers next guy. He hasn’t shown that he can at this point so why should he be given the benefit of the doubt with the season literally on the line these last two games. Tomlin needs to stay with the hot hand and that should be an easy call. Pickett’s season should be done and he should start fresh next year with some legitimate competition, Rudolph or somebody else, for the QB1 role.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Jack, us fans are always screaming about coaching but when they actually put Rudolph in a position to succeed it’s crickets. @SteelersFanIrl posted Pickens rout tree for this game and the NE game. Which one of those do you think was a better game plan for success?

They should open things up for Pickett, his college tape shows he has made plenty of those throws down field. I think Tomlin is killing Picketts development by coddling him and having him so fearful of making mistakes.

Rudolph was playing with house money, they had nothing to lose by letting him play loose and giving him opportunities for splash plays which he capitalized on to his credit. But thats his strength, it’s the shorter game he struggles with which would have been stupid to make him play that game.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Too many of the wins this year were engineered by the D making a big play. This last game had those too but also had the O making big plays and scoring points. We haven’t seen that this year with Pickett. Rudolph should start and if Pickett is too fragile to handle that, well maybe he should have played better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    The Reindeer should start. He had a hell of a game, and if he goes right back to clipboard holding duty it sends a terrible message to the players.
    For once, they all showed up. You have to keep that going.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    For those in the back...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I had one eye on the game and one eye on my family Christmas. What I keep reading about Mason is deep ball, deep ball, deep ball. I'm asking this honestly, how many did he throw? I saw the deep one to Pickens but the other one was a shorter in route that Pickens took to the house. Were there others I missed?

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think Tomlin will not say whose starting until the latest possible moment and it is smart. Might as well have the Seahawks guessing.

13. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I will say that I was impressed with Rudolph's pocket presence in the game against the Bengals but that was not the case post Garrett/concussion incident. In fact, I distinctly remember losing it over his horrendous pocket awareness.
    I genuinely hope that he is back to feeling comfortable again. It will certainly be a test with more of a pass rush in his face but hopefully the line can hold up and so can he. There's no question that he has looked like the most comfortable, competent QB of the three but he needs to continue that against stiffer competition.

14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree, he took a few shots down the field but what really impressed me was how much he had improved in the short and intermediate stuff, as well as his general decision making and composure in the pocket. He stood in there and threw it.

Can he do it again now is the question.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well one thing was a (I believe) a over 40 yards in air throw...which they said is the longest By a Steeler Qb since 2020.
    Another is the most yards after catch all year...because of hitting people in stride. This means a lot. It's the 1st time in awhile I seen the D start backing up right away for fear of the deeper passes, and not just crowding the line.
    Again I've never said Mason was awesome.....just the best on the team right now. Not saying KFP can't be better, but being under Trubisky has been showing .....they are almost the same Guy outside of the ints.
    I Hope You are having a Merry Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  16. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Merry Christmas to you my man. Thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    We certainly agree that Tomlin (and Canada when he was here) is a major hindrance to Pickett’s development. I was concerned about that very thing when we drafted him. I also think that Tomlin has been a major hindrance to Rudolph’s development as well. We’d better get somebody in here next year who knows what the crap they’re doing when it comes to offense and quarterback development. Shame on a Tomlin (and Rooney and Colbert and Khan) for not bringing in the coaching resources to develop their most important investment!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I agree keep Seattle guessing but watching Mason in the pocket vs KP is no comparison. If Mason goes in and ****s the bed then make the change but ride the hot hand until its not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It was 51 air yards to be exact.

Edit: I just read that it was over 55 yards.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What your not saying is your cross eyed :hehehe:

Just messin.

All the planets aligned beating the bungles. Where was this team the 3 games previous?

Rudolph looked poised and has been working on his craft. I mean all he has is time to. So someone tell me why he was not the primary back up then?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Got to go with the hot hand, not giving up on Pickett yet but while he may be cleared to play after his high ankle injury and surgery why rush it and not give him at least another week. Start Mason next game and see how it goes then go from there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    When Popcorn said that Mason would be starting at his Monday word salad he also said they would leave the light on for Pickett.

So I do believe Tomlin will start Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Kenny might have beat Cincy, but it would have been by gumming them to death, with 6 FG's.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    The team thinks mason gives them a better chance and reason he should get the start. KP has a low ceiling.

• Agree Agree x 1