1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Who should start at QB in Week 17 if Kenny Pickett is fully healthy?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Dec 23, 2023.

1. Kenny Pickett

22 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. Mason Rudolph

85 vote(s)
    78.0%
  3. Mitch Trubisky - I want a better draft pick

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Wait a minute… you werent one of the ones posting after Canada left and used excuse we are still using Canadas playbook? Yet gonna say Mason isnt using playbook that is still highly influenced by Canada?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Disagree, KFP couldnt find end zone the first time we played them. Also KFP didnt look so hot against a 2-10 team in Arizona before he got hurt. Not buying it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rush58

rush58 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2023
    exactly, mason been in the league 4 or 5 years. shocking he had a good game against a bad defense.

4. rush58

rush58 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2023
    he did, a couple weeks prior. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Some of you talk about Tomlin being slow witted, but the nonsense with KFP is crazy. Yall would let him try to prove himself for another whole season if it was up to you. Oh right off line, Canada, excuse after excuse. KFP is just like Trib, except for the ints. Both panic, sure hope new off line and new Oc can think for KFP too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Wow… 16 points… awesome

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Guess you are happy with the Pirates record year after year too

8. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I am looking forward to Mason hanging 30 on the Hawks in Seattle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Hope you’re not on the get BO NIX bandwagon. Another 49 yr old like KFP finally leaving college.

10. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    It would take KFP 3 games to score 30 points

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph wins in Seattle...Khan needs to open contract negotiations. A 2-year deal similar to what Trubisky got.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    Agreed. Football is a business. Highly drafted players get benched in favor of players of supposedly lesser pedigree all the time in the NFL. A good team and organization will at the end of the day, usually play whoever it is that seems to be having the biggest positive impact. Sometimes, teams will stall on that a bit sometimes out of pride - no one wants to have to publicly admit that they wasted their draft capital or cap space on players who aren't panning out in the way they had hoped - and weve seen that sort of stubborness in "delaying the inevitable" with the Steelers this season with the QB situation - but, eventually, these changes will usually be made. Some people will get hurt in the process, but that's just the nature of the NFL, or any other competitive job for that matter.

If Kenny does lose his spot to Mason, it would, of course, be a brutal and painful reckoning that would most definitely be felt on a very personal level. And I would feel for him on that. No one wants that to happen to anyone. But then again, that's exactly the sort of bitter pill that Mason's been repeatedly forced to swallow for many years now...first playing as second fiddle in the shadow of Ben, and then after his chance to finally step out of that shadow, was not only benched in favor of a new draft pick, but then further shoved into the background when they brought in another draft's bust. I think most players would be crushed after that, but it speaks to Mason's character that he never gave up and quietly persevered. Maybe that's something Kenny can learn from Mason and if he has to be demoted to QB2, to look at Mason's example of not letting it get to him and to have patience in hopefully one day regaining the mantle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    People give no credit to Mason, defense they played suck, KFP and Mitch wouldve done better. Btw that sucky defense won 3 games in a row before playing us. Let Mason enjoy his moment

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    This … people are so sensitive, if your not the person for the job you dont get the job. Would you want someone operating on you if they weren’t qualified just so you don’t hurt their feel bads?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nope.

All I am stating is that while a QB can solve most problems on their own, an OC can figure out the rest. All the QB has to do is perform. Kenny hasn't done that. Mason has. Thing is, Canada, be it liked or not, does not have a job currently for a very valid reason. Matt Canada was simply in over his head.

None of this would be a talking point though had Canada been replaced this Off Seaosn anyhow.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I bet @g
    i just think Kenny wasnt ready to start. They could’ve let him learn the speed of the game, defensive schemes from the sidelines. I understand that the 2 other qbs arent good teachers either. But he could’ve learned a lot more from sidelines than trying to learn in the fire. Agree?

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Not giving up on Pickett, but Rudolph has earned the starting role for now. For Seattle...

#1 Rudolph
    #2 Pickett
    #3 Trubisky

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Good pocket awareness trumps mobility every day. Plus....out of any Qb on this team....while playing with this team(I have to do this for the Trubisky lovers, or they will bring in stats from 5 years ago. ..two teams ago) Mason has the longest Qb run.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    People keep bringing up the 1st Bengals game, but a big difference in 16- 10, and 34- 11. I'd say they didn't have much trouble defending points in the 1st game.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe I've said this for....hell I don't know how long, but now someone will go , and tell You how unfair that is, and we must look at what Trubisky did....on another team....5, or so years ago. LoL

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    @Formerscribe lol.
    Just playing....I don't know, but He is the only one I know is still sticking up for him

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Sadly no.

The modern NFL rules and Salary Cap basically force QBs to learn via baptism by fire as Rookies. For example, while Mahomes didn't play for much of his Rookie Season, in Kansas City's finale in 2017, it was apparent even then that Mahomes needed that time for his Pre Season was less than ideal. 2018 onward and the rest is history. This all said, Mahomes is such an outlier so lets use another example. Trevor Lawrence was casted into arguably the biggest clown show the league has seen since the 2017 Cleveland Browns. Now granted, there was talent on that roster... but they didn't have the right Head Coach in Urban Meyer. Fast forward a season later and Lawrence completes one of the greatest come from behind playoff Victories in over a decade.

Another QB that is a great example is, oddly enough, Lamar Jackson. Took over for Joe Flacco during his Rookie Season and since 2018, is second to Mahomes in Winning Percentage. Granted.... Jackson will never have the special arm that Mahomes, Allen or even Herbert does. However, he has shown that he does have enough arm talent to win games. While people still roll their eyes at this, he and Tom Brady are the only two QBs ever to win MVP by unanimous decision. Whether or not his style of football is liked is irrelevant; Lamar Jackson simply makes life hell on earth for anyone not named the AFC North.

This year features two Rookie QBs thrown into the fire; Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. Clearly Stroud has had the better Rookie Season but it is way too early to draw any conclusions on Bryce yet. Never mind Frank Reich being fired but having a trigger happy Owner in David Tepper isn't helping Young at all; if ever really. CJ Stroud though has shown he can stick. Now, part of it is due to CJ's own skills but the other aspect can be traced back to Bobby Slowik; someone that @JackAttack 5958 banged the table for this Off Season.

To sum it up, NFL Teams want their QBs ready sooner rather than later. QBs like Mahomes and Joe Burrow have further accelerated this idea tenfold; young QBs either making serious noise as much as CJ Stroud did or even being like Burrow having major playoff success in year two; Mahomes no less. For the Steelers, they operate much different from many NFL Teams but still adhere to the standards of today. That report of Kenny potentially being benched for Mitch against Cleveland weeks ago did come from somewhere... so that is something to definitely keep in mind. Add in Mason's performance last night and one does have to wonder if Kahn is ready to move on from Kenny or will 2024 be Kenny's final chance?! For me, I'd rather improve the Offensive Line before making any final decisions in 2024 but should the team feel that Kenny isn't the guy.... so be it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    If healthy Pickett should start,

he hasn’t really lost his job,

steelers invested a first rounder on him, got to see how he performs in these last couple games.

I think what the last game showed is that MR is capable at least as a backup. Really the Steelers should breathe a sigh of relief that they have one maybe two capable QB’s going into the offseason.

Got to resign MR, may not be easy now

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    if Pickens is doubled in Seattle they have to look to DJ and CA III, they also have to find PF on underneath routes. If KP is worthy he has to exploit the Pickens double teams,

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Let Mason play these next two games, it will be on tape
    for all other teams to evaluate,and since the Steelers treated
    him so poorly he can sign a better contract with these interested teams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1