1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

MLB is the biggest need

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelers_liu, Jan 1, 2013.

1. steelers_liu

steelers_liu Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    I think a priority in this year's draft is a run stuffer ILB. Teo of Notre Dame or Skov of Stanford are good choices. Skov is a Stanford kid with a brain would be my choice and he's good pass coverage LB. I hope he'll be available in the 2nd round. Sean Spense look good in preseason, but he's small to be a good run stuffer.

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would say passing rushing outside linebacker before middle linebacker.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    ansah or d.jordan in rd1 and minter or nico jhonson in rd 2

4. jenyeart

jenyeart Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012
    For round #1, we need the best available ILB or CB in the draft.

Those are the most desparate positions on the team and I would say ILB is the worst.
    Timmons is great, but Foote was average at best and may or may not be back. Sean Spence is their backup, but what do we know about him? That's all folks!
    At least we know that we have Harrison, Woodley and Worllds on the outside. Sylvester is probably gone.

Depending on what we do at DB...we have Ike, but he only has a couple years left. Lewis stepped up his game, but is a UFA, so who knows what happens with that.
    Brown and Allen were decent, but everybody has been clamoring for a shutdown CB for years. If we don't get some help here, we will be one injury away from the same corners who played the past couple weeks.

I know that people are crying for O-linemen, but we have been concentrating on them and the D-line with high picks for the past few years.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think Allen has the potential to be a shut down guy and I want to see what an off season of the lake effect has on DVD. Hevis a restricted free agent but I don't see anybody giving up anything for him and he is the corner tomlin wanted I B2B that draft. With that speed he has some potential and so far coach lake has done some great things with our dbs.

6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Harrison will probably be gone because of his salary and if not he is 35 years old. Woodley has to get his weight under control. Worllds is decent but not spectacular.
    To make a 3-4 defense good, you need exceptional outside passing rushing linebackers. Look at Denver. Remember Joey Porter and Jason Gildon. Lloyd and Greene. We need them in the worst way.
    I'm not saying we don't take an inside linebacker, just later in the draft.
    Our priority should be getting pressure on the quarterback.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if we keep harrison than maybe yes while the good pass rusher goes first in the draft , cb is a need too if we don't sign lewis as it seems , ilb can be found later , we need safety and te too , while i would draft a rb very late

8. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i think Worilds did pretty well in limited playing time. i think if Harrison is gone and Worilds gets a full season he can get 12 to 15 sacks. i think he had 5 this season and he barely played.

i also hope Woodley comes back with a sense of redemption for his terrible season. he stole money this season. i hope he can turn the corner like Timmons apparently has.

Timmons has become a play maker. i always said he was the same type of player as Troy. the other team always has to account for Troy and now they have to account for Timmons. they need a solid ILB to replace Foote so Timmons can continue to roam around and make plays.

9. lovembig

Oct 30, 2011
    i think they already have their TE of the furure in Paulson. he even looks like Heath out there.

they need to go ILB, safety, and then best available.

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Worilds played very well from the right side and was no where to be found on the left. I don't know if wood can switch sides or not though.

11. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    just curious? does that imply that stanford kids overall are smarter then ND kids? or is Skov just known to be a smart kid in general? Im just asking because it sounds like you may be saying stanford kids overall are smarter than ND players,,, and maybe they are but i would think it has to be close.. along with liek northwestern and maybe a few ivy league schools?

HINES

12. lovembig

Oct 30, 2011
    well hopefully he will be replacing Harrison and not Woodley. they probably need to look at a good backup LOLB since Woodley hasnt shown that he can stay healthy.

13. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Jake "sixteen candles" Ryan from Michigan. Very instinctive player.

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Now that our season is over, I thought this thread was about major league baseball. I like worilds.

15. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    outside linebacker and safety are definitely bigger needs than inside linebacker, but the inside is still a need. the question is if there is a player there at the inside position you value high enough to take instead of the other positions. add to that the depth at safety. barring some sort of trade down in the first round i think that a safety is the pick in round two. a trade up could only be for a blue chip linebacker inside or outside.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have seen Skov around in the 3rd round...the 3rd round! If we can get OLB in #1, S in #2, and MLB in #3...I think it will be a good draft.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would say safety or OLB biggest need because of Harrison's age and declining play Woodley's fat butt with nagging inuries. ILB isn't high of a priority with Timmons playing at a high level there is need for depth at ILB. The OLB's are supposed to be the playmakers in the 3/4 defense that's why I think this is the biggest need.

18. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    there were years in the mid 2000's when we got almost as many sacks from the middle as from the outside. think farrior and bell. in 02 or 03 i think van oelhoffen led the team in sacks. we did not have good seasons then. pass rush is the priority, but if you can land teo somehow i think you have to address the pass rush later.

19. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    With the season over for the Steelers, I couldn't figure out from the title of this thread why Major League Baseball was the biggest need. I guess I have moved on.

20. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Oops. Didn't see this post. I thought the same thing. Too many acronyms.

21. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I love Teo, but I think he will be long gone by the time we draft. Unless some people skyrocket up the charts, my guess is we don't get Teo. OLB, ILB, and S are my top 3 positions to draft.

22. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Safety is most definitely a bigger need. The starters there are OLD and cannot stay healthy anymore.

It's hard to say MLB is even a real need given we don't really know what they have in Spence.

23. jenyeart

jenyeart Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Okay...so we have ONE inside linebacker. Foote is most likely gone and who do we have as a capable backup? Exactly. Spence is too small for an every-down player. He's there for coverage skills and splash plays. Sure people can argue that OLB makes our defense hum...and they are correct. Woodley (for better or for worse) is starting and better get his butt in gear. Harrison may or may not be back. Worilds was a capable starter for a pretty large chunk of the season. Heck, he was better than Woodley. If Harrison is gone, we have two capable outside linebackers. We can't say that at inside linebacker if and when Foote is gone (which seems at least as likely as Harrison leaving).

This is why I said earlier that things really depend on who we keep and who we dump. It seems at this time that we far are more thin at ILB. I guarantee we will draft at least one of each within the 1st four rounds unless we pick up a free agent somewhere along the line.

I also like the idea of drafting the best available CB early in the draft because many corners can transition to free safety (and we have a coach with some experience in that). Perhaps some of our guys who aren't cutting it at CB can move to safety.
    I do see the value of finding the next Troy Polamalu but you can only do so much in one draft (this would probably be a 4-5th round pick). I could also see us picking up a receiver, RB, and developmental QB in the later rounds.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    safety is a need. clark is another year older. troy plays sparingly anymore. it will take a year for the new safety to play much and learn the system, so we really can't wait until next year to get a starter quality guy or we end up with a mundy type.

ILB is a need too. we had more sacks from the inside as the outside. we also have carter in year 3 which usually is the year they take the biggest jump. worilds is still here and so is robinson and woodley. we are in better shape there then ILB right now.

we need some pass coverage, so safety is going to be very important. we have a chance to be really good with a high quality safety or two to take over and get younger like we have at corner. don't forget we still have vandyke as another corner already here. i think we are fine at corner for now with allen,brown,ike,vandyke,victorian and possibly lewis back.

at safety we don't have that and now is the time to start that process. that make us very good in coverage, something we have been lacking.

we have 2 first rounders at DE. we have a stud in waiting at NT that will help the pass rush in mclendon. add one good ILB to team with the two we have and we should be in decent shape on D.

i hope harrison is back for at least one more. harrison,woodley,worilds,carter and robinson. another year in the system will make a difference in the young guys.:cool:

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm going to say we can live with Foote 1 more year, I'm not sure Harrison has 1 more good year in him though.

OLB and S are top needs and I think they can find one at #17.

Steelers have a lot of holes actually, they will probably sit and take BPA.