1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How do y'all cope after a horrible loss?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Dec 12, 2023.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    When the Steelers lose either a close one or a blowout, it always takes a couple of days for me to recover. And in the grand scheme of things, whether they win or lose doesn't really affect me or my life at all, and also, I have no control or influence over anything they do or don't do. But still, it can mess with my head. The board being down a few days took away one of my ways to cope. What do folks do to recover?

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You grow a pair and move on. Or Monday comes around and back at work and realize there are far worse fates in life than what some people get to do for fun and make millions in the process for their careers.

Ultimately realizing I don't have the luxury to phone it in at work or have a bad attitude. I need the job. So f them if they lose. One to next week.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I just move on to the next one. Granted I ramble on messageboards and FB & Twitter but for the most part it generally doesn't affect me like it did when I was a teen into my 20's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Go to church and pray that the coaching staff and organization will change. It’s not working very well.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  5. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    upload_2023-12-12_3-52-7.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Sulk for a little while in here, then go on with my life.

Other than some ranting in here, I really don't give it much thought. I'm too old to be letting this kind of thing ruin my day, much less week.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Been at it too long, both professionally and from a fan standpoint.
    The thing for me is to try to remain objective - sometimes:
    - the other is just better
    - the other team just out game planned mine - I admire great strategy
    - sometimes things just go wrong.

I'm also a fan of the game and I like several teams, with the Steelers being #1.
    There's only 2 team I dislike, The Cowboys are #1 there. I hated them in 1959 (ok, it's before they were a team. I still hate everything about them)
    Philthydelphia is #2. I hate that city and I hate all their fans equally. Worst football stadium I've been in.
    I actually rooted for the earth to split open and swallow those two Sunday night. That's a tough loss for me to overcome.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Since the world is a disaster and we're fighting every day to exist....a ballgame isn't really a big deal.

Dudes are making a lot of money for me to get upset over.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I get more mad during the games when I see piss poor performance then I get over it pretty easily after realizing they just aren’t as good as I expected them to be. Years ago it would ruin my week but anymore I kind of just shrug it off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    There are two stadiums in cities that I will not go to. Told my son long ago that Cleveland and Philadelphia are off our lists of cities to visit as away fans. I don’t need the abuse.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I used to get more upset when I was younger now I’m so numb to MT and this whole process I am forgetting what it’s like to be a contending team and am used to them being terrible.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    How many pair do you now have

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I tried praying in church at a funeral and a little voice over my should said “who’s calling please”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Seriously

I still enjoy watching the games and unless it was a loss of a winnable SB or AFCCG I realize it just isn’t important

Then I go outside with my wife and dogs and enjoy the fact I get to have another day

Then I come on here and play whack a troll while I sit on the pot that usually gets me going ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Get angry because it seems the fans care way much more than the players. Especially a certain WR.
    Accept that this is who we are ....an average team who has pathetic coaching and we are the dinosaurs of the league who think it is 1970's again and can win with d. I gave up all real hope of competing with the elite teams after Belicheat depantsed us in last AFC champ game and its been all down hill since.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not sure how old you are but I found it changes with age. I consider myself very fortunate in the Sports Championship world. During my cocky punk ass years the city of Pittsburgh won 7 Championship (counting U of P NCAA) in 10 years. Believe I was cocky about my city and losses would whipped my ass for days especially the Steelers. They started 1-4 in 76 and I was beside myself.

Now I still get excited but not even close to my youth days. I get PO'd at a loss but over it real quick. I lived through the 80's so when Ben left I expected the same and have not been let down. (yet)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Great, thanks for that image. Now I’m going to know you are on the can whenever I see you doing that.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    In good nature I told DJ18Baller that if I was constipated I would go into the can to read his posts because that always worked :smiley1:

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Stick pins in the voodoo doll and binge on the Wire which is old HBO series.

21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't even care anymore. I still care about the team, just not individual losses. I feel numb at this point. I lost faith in this team years ago. It's the same problems every year and management is choosing not to address it, so why keep punishing myself by getting mad after a loss? This team is going nowhere with Tomlin. If management ever gets their head out of their ass and actually addresses the problem, maybe then my expectations will be higher. Right now I just expect us to be a mediocre team, because that's what we are.

I still enjoy the wins, but don't even care about the losses anymore. My mind is on the bigger picture at this point, which is post-Tomlin. I've just gotten numb waiting for it. I've been calling for it since 2011 when Tebow smoked us. I knew right then what Tomlin was. Can only keep saying it for so long though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Usually I cope by watching Pittsburgh dad. But I couldn’t even bring myself to do that after the Pukes game.

• Like Like x 1
  23. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    In my younger days I’d cry, yell out my bedroom window at the dog next door, throw things, kick things, punch walls, punch the floor, punch the ceiling, threaten the cat, rip up my Steelers posters, etc.
    Now I just curl up in the fetal position, read Steelers Talk forums and quietly go night night

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Me too. It's a game that has changed a lot since I was a kid. The players have more freedom to move to other teams. As is right. More and more penalties. Less competent officials. and on and on. I watch one game a week the Steelers. That's it. If they lose it doesn't change my life one way or the other. I'm tired of Tomlin. Tired of this team not being prepared to play the other team. Just sick of it really

25. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I don`t really get mad at sports games. Just move on . As a long suffering Pittsburgh Pirates fan I was crushed at a young age by Sid Bream. But this gave me time to grow into the machine I have become.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1