1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Justin Fields

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The biggest issue is time...and money. The team that trades for him has to do it before the 5th year option is declared, and then if you are giving up that much draft capitol commit to that option, and that's guaranteed. So if he sucks you are stuck with whatever that option cash is, 20 to 28 million??? If the team and he could make an arrangement like GB did with Love, guarantee about half, then it makes more sense, but why would a guy do that?? For one year it makes little sense, not sure anything is sensible right now.

2. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Saying this as a joke, but who would have thought Flacco would look better than any one we have, in a Browns Uni, being a former Raven, and if he plays like he has been could be a top back up FA. I'm gonna be sick, lol

3. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022

Exactly the same? We won't participate in the draft OR the free agent market? Dang.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I am kinda with you on this. We could save money cutting Trubisky and add Fields (would have to make sure what we give up in capital isn't too steep) to the mix. He would easily beat Kenny in an open competition (if he can't, we're screwed anyways). Fields would have a shot in a better situation, with some quality weapons, and hopefully would have the freedom to use his legs some. We'd then need to invest more on the OL so we can be a threat running with Warren and Fields (Najee spelling Warren) and hopefully that will lead to us getting some easy throws via play action and a few big plays. That might be good enough to get us to the post season and from there it would all boil down to how well Fields plays in those games.

The only caveat here is that the new OC would have to be a guy that excels at running an offense with that type of QB. We have to build the operation around the type of offense that the new OC wants to run. We can't just force a square peg into a round hole just to do it.

I'd fire the DC too. Get some better talent in the coaching room. See what happens.

5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Flacco was always a solid QB. High end game manager with enough talent to play elite for short stretches. Kinda the perfect borderline Top 10 QB. The only thing that hurt the Ravens was the absolute tear he went on to win them the SB, putting him in the high end money range. He was overpaid and hard to build around, but he was a good player. I'm not surprised that he would walk onto a halfway decent team and play fairly well.

Honestly, after watching what we've seen from Pickett and Trubisky the past 2 years, I am not shocked at all that he looked better than both of them. They've both looked like absolute garbage.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We missed on 1 Tarheel QB so trade some future picks and move up he will be a solid NFL QB.

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    ,,,,and a run game.

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    A new OC? With this team's brain trust, I anticipate the "next man up" approach will transpire so a new OC may be who it is right now. JMO>

9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I really like the kid, but the holes you can make when trading future picks can be hard to overcome. There is talk of 5 or even 6 QB's going in the first, some will go to the wrong place and not develop, others will just be busts. He has all the intangibles and it he drops to the place where you can get him by exchanging 1ts and giving up next years then yea I would run to make that deal, but there is going to be a lot of interest and that price will likely be higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    well it’s kinda obvious we will. But we will not get a QB that will be the day one starter. We will still ride with Kenny and blame his regression this season on the OC’s

11. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Insane how many want to run Kenny out of town already. Same thing happened with Dak Prescott.....

12. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Fields absolutely balled out at Ohio State in college. He seems to run a lot more on the Bears. But the Bears are awful so I don’t know. If he was a free agent and you could sign him for a decent salary I would be in favor.

however I don’t think giving up draft picks for an unproven and so far unsuccessful pro qb is the way. They have many other holes they need filled as well and need those draft picks.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bears are not awful. They make awful picks at Qb. This was the same crap people said for Trubisky. Stay away from Fields. How many cast offs do we have to go through before people learn.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I dont think anything is off the table for the Khan artist & Wiedl

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That's the truth. Though many may not like it, when you invest that high for a pick you need to follow it through (for at least the third year). If we could snare another 2nd or 3rd and a decent QB drops then you might go that route for competition to push, or to see what he has if KP just does not go forward. You have to have both short term and long term objectives, the third year for Kenny is most likely make or break, if he shows something you have the 5th year option, if not you can move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed

17. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    After the collapse of the next men up (Sully and Faulkner) I hope the FO realizes the there are no more next man

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I get that it is likely what we are going to do, but we absolutely do not have to see it through for year 3. If the FO is certain that he isn't going to make it, we don't HAVE to go an extra year just in case simply because the draft capital spent was high. The Cardinals took Kyler Murray the year after they took Josh Rosen in the top 10. They knew he didn't have it and wasn't going to get better, so instead of trying to "coach him up" or "give him a couple years to see if we can develop him" they just gave up on him.... and they were right.

Its not like Kenny hasn't gotten a fair shake. I certainly thought he had a shot... but we can't be this far into his career and him still be regressing. I fear all the time we are wasting just to prove a point when we could be making our team better by exploring other options. The absolute worst thing we can do is line Kenny up next year and have a better OC/scheme make him look a LITTLE bit better while playing the exact same. Having him be 200 ypg vs. 180... having him throw like 10 TD's for the year... going from 16ppg to 19ppg.... It would look like "progress", so we'd slap that 5th year option down and line the bum up again in 2025.

19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well to be fair, the reason why the Cowboys fans wanted to run Dak out year 2 was all the picks. He had a slight regression for sure, but he still threw 22 TD passes that season and averaged nearly 30 ypg more than Kenny has for his career. There's at least a fairly decent chance that Kenny starts the entirety of 2024 and doesn't surpass 22 TD passes for his career....

BTW, I find Dak's career interesting. I think in his good years he is massively overlooked, but he's had two anomaly seasons that make him kind of a meme for throwing some weird picks. He has a 1.8 INT% or lower (that's Kenny's career average and he's considered to be amazingly good at not throwing picks) in every year but 2, but then had a year at 2.7% and another at 3.8%... which is really bad. Kind of hard to figure him out entirely. I guess you live with a bad year or two for the stretches of really strong play.

20. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Dumb enough to do it again?? It cost them nothing to bring Trubisky in you mental reject and in reality they should have stuck with him and took their lumps rather than drafting Pickett. They should have drafted Lindenbaum and then been in prime position the very next draft to get Shroud. Now they need both a QB and center and youre likely not going to be able to get quality at both positions w/o passing up one for the other in the upcoming draft. I say they take the center in the 1st since they've now passed up on two quality centers in consecutive drafts and maybe by some miracle luck out on grabbing a QB later in the draft or simply keep stocking talent to build around a quality QB in the 2025 draft. They're probably going to give Kenny one more year to prove himself anyway.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Chicago isn't going to just give him away, you really think the Steelers will give up multiple draft picks for Fields?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This right here! I would like to know the source of this rumor? My guess would be just some podcaster trying to generate a little youtube money.

I expect the Steelers to bring in another free agent, and let the OC drag along a QB he likes to fill the #3 spot. Mason is gone and Mitch might get squeezed out by the new OC.

Here is a rumor for you.... Joe Flacco was just sent back to the Browns practice squad and is available to any team that can offer him an active roster spot. Rumor has it that the Steelers are one of the teams that could pick him up. :)

23. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    i am not ready to run him out of time, I think he was thrown to the wolves too early. The poor OC, the poor pass protection, the half ass receivers. It has affected him mentally, it has affected him physically with so many injuries. We have not seen any progress with him, only regression. I like KFP, and want nothing more to see him succeed. Just don’t know if it’s possible with everything going on with the team.

I remember when Jordan Love came in a few years ago when Rodger’s was hurt, I thought there was no way he would ever be a NFL caliber QB. But those few years of sitting was a miracle for him. It unfortunately not possible for that to happen here because we don’t have anyone on the team he can sit back and learn from.

Hopefully these games he is sitting, it will clear his head, hopefully he is in the film room studying his @ss off and comes back with a chip on his shoulder and has the desire to show us all he can be a franchise QB.

However in 2024 we need to bring in a couple more QB’s and have a true competitive camp and have the best man win.

24. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    They need a QB a Center and a competent coaching staff. You forgot that part.

25. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Same happened with Drew Brees in San Diego. It wasn't that the organization was bad, and the whole team sucked. Nope, Brees is overrated, and a bust. Then he goes to New Orleans, and, well, Canton, here he comes.

I am NOT saying Kenny is the next Drew Brees. I'm not saying he'll even be adequate. What I am saying is that any evaluation of him right now is way too early considering the state of utter dysfunction with the whole franchise.

That said, if you have a chance to draft another stud QB, or sign a good veteran, you take it. At best, you replace KFP with someone better. At worst, you have a great backup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1