1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin needs to quit or be fired

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 3, 2023.

1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
  3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    He may be but he could write a personal check for everything you own and he can do it cause of his football opinions. You and me are unpaid.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    1. The Chiefs didn't "lose" their way into Mahomes. They went acquired him with the 10th overall pick after Buffalo traded down in the first. Reid's record with the Chiefs prior to drafting Mahomes: 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4.

2. Seumalo is the Steelers best offensive lineman? Not really. And even if he were, the performance gap between him and Herbig isn't significant.

3. The Chiefs were tied with the Steelers three weeks into this season; maybe they should've canned Reid then. Seriously, this line of thinking is silly.

4. The point about an effective QB equating to more wins in general is valid enough. But you keep going back to Reid only succeeding with a "top" QB, which isn't true and isn't helping your argument. Not to mention the bulk of Tomlin's career up until the last two years has been with a franchise QB. Seems you're conflating the notion of 'good' and 'successful' head coaches, and there's a distinction to be made there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    That's an interesting stat. I never would've guessed all three were in the same percentile like that. Still, there's some context missing - how good was the Steeler team (in terms of winning percentage) for those games? Both Cowher and Noll had more valley seasons than Tomlin, losing to a sub .500 team would potentially be less of a let down if during one of those years.

They also appear to be counting the record of the opponent at the time the Steelers played them, and I don't know that playing an 0-1 team in Week Two is the same as a 3-7 team in Week Ten. That aside, I do agree with the article that there was less of a difference between Cards and Steelers than their records indicated Sunday.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Good article but painful to read. As for the stat, my memory isn’t sharp enough to recall in what fashion Noll and Cowher lost to sub 500 teams but it seems Tomlins losses happen as they did this past week, just really horrendous football. I’m sure not everyone of those 39 losses happened that way but it’s happened enough to be a common theme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I remember a lot of nailbiters with Cowher simply because it was his style to shut down the bulk of the passing game once he had any kind of lead. I could see a team that happened to hang around and finally found a way to score scratching out an occasional win due to the substandard QB play we had through the bulk of his tenure.

But as for specifics, yeah, that far back they're fewer and further between.

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I would love to see Tomlin win a SB with an NFC team. As long as He didn't beat the Steelers to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Noll did have that suffocating defense that destroyed offenses.
    But they did lose some WTF games. (On any given day - effect)
    Those were exception, not the norm.

Cowher faced the Free Agent era.
    He certainly had some head scratchers too.

Tomlin, I just can't comment on anymore. It is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Reid and Tomlin AIN'T the same cat, I am sorry to burst some of your bubbles. Reid LUCKED OUT with Mahomes.

Tomlin LUCKED out with Ben. We could say that with ALOT of so called 'great' coaches.

I have no hate for Tomlin, in many ways, as a person, I like him and it appears that many of the players like him. but I don't care about FaceBook likes - I want Playoff Wins and Championship caliber football - that, we don't have and he cannot deliver that.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he is a dolt, has been for years

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    He also lucked into the best QB in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    So are you saying Andy Reid could win with Pickett or not? You think firing Tomlin will fix the QB situation? My point is that you need a Great QB to go deep into the playoffs and we don’t have that and firing Tomlin will not get you one. People keep saying “Tomlin could only win with Ben”. No $hit, the same applies to Belichek, Reid, Cowher, and most other successful Coaches. Jesus man did Noll win without Bradshaw?? The only thing silly is your lack of common sense and knowledge of the game. No matter what Reid’s record was, he did not win it all. Tomlin has never had a losing season but hasn’t won it all every year so you want to fire him. Anyone who understands the sport knows that the Steelers along with several other teams missed out on at least one or two Super Bowl opportunities because they were going against TB in his prime. People say Phil Mickelson, Erie Els and several other golfers were not that good, but if you know about that sport, you know they went against the GOAT every year in every major. Call any former player, coach or sportscaster they will call you an idiot as well if you think this man cannot coach.

16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It certainly helps to have a;
    - Peyton Manning
    - Tom Brady
    - Joe Montana
    - Steve Young
    - Mahomes
    etc... as a QB

I think it is mostly the great franchises that built a great team around those QB's mentioned above.

Lot of great ones didn't make it to the Super Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    You are absolutely correct. I think what a lot of people lack is an understanding of how the league works and how player contracts work. Many teams, including ours start to form cracks under the weight of franchise QB contracts. The Steelers achieved most of their success in Ben’s first five years. After that, all teams struggle to maintain a competitive edge while losing high end players to the cap. You can see the cracks forming now with KC and Buffalo. The smartest thing TB ever did was play at a bargain to maintain his team. The Steelers struggled along for years after the Super Bowl in 2010 trying to keep players and replace retiring ones. We focused on the great offensive players we already had rather than keeping the defense in tact. That is as much a decision by Colbert as it was Tomlin. We were still a competitive team and made playoffs most of the time, but draft position and Ben’s contract were certainly an impediment. Now we are in the process of rebuilding the offense, the defense is very good. This team will never mortgage the future (Rams, Broncos, Tampa) to win it all once. Firing This Coach or any other will not solve talent issues. We have to strike gold with a QB and that will take time. It’s just frustrating to listen to the Juvenile “fire the coach” calls every time we lose. There is no coach out there that will win a championship with this team as it currently is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I'm beginning to understand this site much better - It's only year 2 for me, I worked in Washington from the 80's which were great to the Snyder era... eeesh. Talking about miserable.

The armchair GM's are something I've been used to - 'Fire X, Fire Y, Fire Z' and it's common with every team. It's a lynch mob mentality vented over the frustrations, and nothing is sacred.
    The game just doesn't work that way.

Winning takes all pieces of the franchise to work in unison. Right now, I use the 49ers as a model. Shanahan and Lynch are in perfect step. In 2021 those fans were screaming same thing...

But you're spot on (in bold) We are rebuilding the Front Office and they did some good things. You just can't do all good things in one offseason.
    Art got involved (a little too late) and corrected a terrible mistake in keeping Matt Canada who could not design an offense around the players strengths.
    I think there's going to be a harsh review of the coaching staff forthcoming.
    The damaged caused by Canada cannot be fixed in a week, it cannot be fixed in the heat of the battle.
    And so......... the frustrations boil over. It's fair, I'm just glad the Steelers don't take advice from any of us.. lol.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn’t want them to listen to the fans either but sometimes the fans are right as was the case with Canada. For the Steelers to fire a coach in season under contract like that is a serious indictment of Canadas ineptitude.

I don’t think Tomlin is an awful coach by any means but losses like last week are too common under him and I just feel they could use a new voice leading them. Some of the things players are saying recently are eyebrow raising, things could be getting stale with Tomlin. Nearly 20 years with one team is an eternity in the NFL. Get some new blood in here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Show me where I said that.

Really. Then what's with all the other incorrect statements you're flailing around with trying to attack anyone who doesn't agree with you?

I didn't.

There are many coaches that have won Super Bowls with less than Bradshaw as their quarterback, or do they not count?

Now we're going ad hominem because we don't know how to form an adult argument. Refreshing.

Where did I say that?

Fun fact: other teams actually did win the Super Bowl while Brady was in his prime.

Most people I know have always said the Mickelsons and Els were great golfers but had to go up against Woods for the bulk of their careers.

I actually don't need talking heads to feed me my opinions, and can build and articulate an argument around the ones I do have. Something you're struggling with here.

21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Inexplicable losses happen to all teams (I recall the college all-stars beating Green Bay lol)
    But overall, 17 years is a long-time coaching... really it is unheard of.
    I don't disagree with the idea of maybe it is over.
    But we have some just screaming this stuff out of frustrations - that is short-sighted.

Canada, I don't think can be compared. He should have not been brought back after year two. He's never had success and has no record to be afforded some much leeway.

But the reality is, almost none of the reasoning I've seen here should be used.
    Art needs to bring in his GM's and Tomlin and lay out a path forward and explain the failure we've seen.
    At that point if it is agreed the franchise needs to go a different direction, then at point it is Art's call to have his GM's let Tomlin go.
    I don't disagree with mediocrity. Mediocrity applies to the front office as well.
    "Cap Strapped and aging roster" cannot be the operative going forward.
    Odd Coaching choices that leave people scratching their head cannot be the modius. (I was in Washington when they named Canada as successor, I was sitting in a press room and a lot of folks said 'WTF?')
    Tomlin should be on the hook for that choice, but it is not 100% clear he made that choice.

But in the end, 17 years is forever. If he had 5 Super Bowl rings on his finger it might be a different story.
    But he doesn't.

I see it, he coaches 2024 and calls it a career. Unless they do a trade which I think unlikely.

22. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Knowing that, it is amazing that Gibbs won Super Bowls with Theismann, Williams and Rypien.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    Honestly, I hope we lose out. The Steelers are like meth heads. They are gonna have to hit the very bottom before change will take place. I look around the league and see some seriously talented coaching. Ours used to be cutting edge, but alas, no more. No point in owning a knife if you refuse to sharpen it.

24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I know, right?
    I started to mention that but left it open.
    Gibbs put guys around those QB's - a Descendent of Don "Air" Coryell. (Genius) :)

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    KC traded up to draft their man, that's not luck. Mahomes was available to every team in the league.